Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
Not matching Broberg is pretty unforgiveable. He's going to make that contract look cheap in a year.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Where do you slot Ceci to make him look good.

Whether they matched Broberg or not, Ceci had to go. Replacing Ceci with Emberson doesn’t make the team worse and saves cap to potentially make the team better.
But it does make the team worse? It has potential not to but the team IS worse.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Another trade most likely on the horizon
I'm thinking maybe we wanted Ceci gone because
-like others point out, he wasn't that good. Imo we still would have had use of him
- maybe we wanted St.Louis to feel we could match, and that's how we got that other 3rd rounder

Imo Ceci was destined to be traded away and replaced sooner or later, so why not give this Emerson a shot and then maybe look for a deadline upgrade later?

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Ceci is decent on the third pairing. Not amazing but good in a limited role.

Look at that defense right now and tell me it's championship caliber. Because it looks ripe to get eaten alive.
And swapping Ceci back in for Emberson would not change that.

The bottom part isn’t relevant to the convo. You’re trying to find a gotcha…but I agree with it. It looks worse without Broberg. I think everyone agrees on that. Maybe I’m over valuing Emberson, maybe you’re underestimating him. On paper and on the ice he was better than Ceci last year, one player is trending up, the other is trending down.

They need to find a way to strengthen the Defense after losing Broberg. Everyone can see that.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Didn’t most people want Stecher in for Ceci last season anyways? Before the cyst news?

This is true (lord knows I did)

But a big part of that was having Vinny backing him up. Emberson brings some defence, and isn't far off Broberg size-wise, but I think the Oilers need a proper crease clearer for the right size.

I'm scared this means Brown is going to get a longer look than he deserves, but who knows maybe Kemp or Wanner surprise. Still I think the middle term play by the OIl will be bringing someone like Murphy or Savard at the deadline.

Reactions: TopShelfGloveSide

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
I think there has been some overreaction on the threads here.

Add Lavoie and Savoie to take the place of departed Kane (temporary) and Holloway (permanent). Both of these guys play for near the minimum salary and have good offensive ability.

Sign Barrie and Schultz to one year deals at league minimum. Obviously not long term solutions but who knows which players might be available next summer. Maybe some RFAs with the St. Louis Blues?

Even when Kane returns the team is still cap compliant with room for some moves at the trade deadline.

No cause for panic.
Forward group can recover pretty easily

Defense is the huge issue. Now we have 3 top-4 guys and maybe 2 bottom pair guys. Why trade Ceci if we weren't going to match?

We all know why Barrie didn't sign yet. His D game was never there and his O-game got a little lost in Nashville. No thanks.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
So our D pairings going into next year now look like this?

Ekholm(34)- bouchard(24)
Nurse(29)-Emberson (24)
Kulak(30)-stretcher (30)

If that’s the case I don’t feel good about the upcoming season at all
That is not even close to a cup caliber defence.
I would expect something to change before the season starts.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
I'm thinking maybe we wanted Ceci gone because
-like others point out, he wasn't that good. Imo we still would have had use of him
- maybe we wanted St.Louis to feel we could match, and that's how we got that other 3rd rounder

Imo Ceci was destined to be traded away and replaced sooner or later, so why not give this Emerson a shot and then maybe look for a deadline upgrade later?
He was the softest 6.3, 210lb mother-f***er I have seen.

McBigYak

Nov 4, 2015
Calgary Alberta

Which is completely reasonable considering what he's done thus far.

Too many people want to have their cake and eat it too here.

You want young prospects at the expense of crippling the team salary wise or do you want flexibility going into the season to add a win-now player in an attempt to win the cup. Pick one. You can't have both in this situation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad