Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I do blame Stan, he's the GM that did nothing after being hired until utterly forced. I blame JJ too.

If you actually think about it, the Oilers could have had all of Holloway, Broberg, Podkolzin and Emberson if they had been even slightly proactive, but here we are
You’re back on the train of Stan was just sitting around after being hired because he wasn’t giving you day to day updates?

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
You’re probably right. Not having to work in your 30’s leaves you with a lot of free time.
That’s sad. You rather threaten posters and call them out over thier opinions in the future if something doesn’t work out the way they thought it would?

Do you know that’s against hf rules? Your intentions seem rather malignant

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I do blame Stan, he's the GM that did nothing after being hired until utterly forced. I blame JJ too.

If you actually think about it, the Oilers could have had all of Holloway, Broberg, Podkolzin and Emberson if they had been even slightly proactive, but here we are
Proactive means if they had done work ahead of time, like before Bowman was hired…yet he’s the guy you’re blaming.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I'm confident Jackson will fill the cupboards with the remaining farm teams (Montreal, Columbus, Chicago, etc)

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
I like they got a little extra but 2028 is crazy.
“Sorry for utterly shafting any depth you might have during your second McDrai cup/contract window, but here’s a draft pick with a 3% chance of making the league 4 years from now.”

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
It's not so clear that the defense is or will be worse in the short run. It may be that Broberg takes a step forward and that it will become worse than it would have been otherwise, but right now he really is a kid with promise. It's actually quite conceivable that the combination of Stecher and Emberson will be as good as Ceci and Broberg in terms of this year. But the big unkown is how long that combination of players will be asked to carry to load. If the Oilers don't match I'd be shocked if the plan is not to use the assets they get as part of a deal to upgrade the RHD hopefully on a more permanent basis.

I am not happy that the Oilers ended up in this predicament by any stretch, but to be honest I am surprised at how well they have done so far in managing it.
It's clear that the Oilers have bungled their NHL ready prospect pool. St. Louis has bought talent for pennies on the dollar with a qualified risk of low likelihood draft picks to even make the NHL and if so it is years away. They overpay a million dollars on the average NHL defenseman salary and with age involved can buy-out low after one year. What they can also do is play Broberg on his natural left shooting side where he has shown solid result and play with a quality Stanley Cup champion option of Parayko or Fault to support the progress made this past season in the AHL and Stanley Cup final four competition.

The Oilers can hope a downgraded defense corp can hold together with the loss of its primary right side penalty killers. That Skinner improves behind them. And that this management group can burn up more assets including marginal value 2nd and 3rd and into future 1st rounds to ensure a capable deep playoff defense this year that's built around an age 34, 30, 29, and two NHL journeymen also age 30. That is also not clear and risky to be as good or better than one coming off a Cup run driven with all world penalty kill that's missing its right side. Will they use more assets to improve a weak defense. Of course they will.

There's never certainty in the NHL. No guarantee. The vision of Jeff Jackson to build a sustainable winning window around its two super elites they are trying to sign (and will) today show far more questions, on an old team with a hole in its mid-20's developed talent.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
It's not an act, its what I'm seeing. It's reality. It's just dreadful misuse of the assets and roster for no other reason then negligence.

It's ok to see things for what they are instead of what we would like them to be. The Oilers hired this guy and the expected is already happening.
You just seem to be negative. I remember your offseason projected roster was something pretty disastrous. Then the day after we signed Skinner and Arvidsson.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
This is such a massive gamble for St Louis.

They had to pay a 5th to get their 2nd rounder back to make the offer.

So it is effectively a 2nd, 2 3rds, a fifth and a college spec for 2 players with practically no NHL experience making $6.5M+.

If the Oilers did this, I'd be gutted.
The Oilers paid two 1sts for Broberg and Holloway

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
I do not understand why we got rid of Ceci

They think Emberson can handle top 4 duties I'd guess. He better, or trotting out Stecher/Brown as your second and third pairing D men is gonna hurt.

That aside, Edmonton is now below the cap and has the ability to make a major move once the Kane injury timeline is better known.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
“Sorry for utterly shafting any depth you might have during your second McDrai cup/contract window, but here’s a draft pick with a 3% chance of making the league 4 years from now.”
your acting like we will use the picks at the draft. These picks are gone by the deadline

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Holloway is clearly better than Podkolzin, Broberg has far more upside than Emberson IMO.

The Oilers do get cap space but they really limited their long term potential with these moves. Short term might not be that big of a loss but they've shortened their competitive window unless they can find young players with similar level upside to replace these guys.
Holloway is better but he's not 1.4M better. Broberg has a higher upside but I think Emberson might have a higher floor

McBigYak

Nov 4, 2015
Calgary Alberta
The Oilers paid two 1sts for Broberg and Holloway

And both of them are looking like they are not going to reach their draft pedigree. The fact they were drafted in the first round is kind of irrelevant.

Matching these offer sheets cripples the Oilers. The St Louis Blues paid a shitload in terms of assets and salary to overpay 2 unproven NHL prospects. Probably a reasonable gamble for a bottom feeder but a gamble nonetheless.

The Oilers added 2 prospects with lower ceilings, but pretty much equivalent talent at this point.

Macblender

May 5, 2014
Pretty bad position we ended up in. We shouldn’t have been in that situation in the first place. Hopefully we learned our lesson to prioritize our young players (or lackthereof at this point). I thought that management did a decent job of trying to fill the holes left by Holloway and Broberg so kudos to them. As for Holloway, Broberg and the Blues…I hope they waste away in mediocrity for years to come :nod:
Blame woody and prior management for throwing Broberg around is what it is in my opinion. He didn’t want to be here

Reactions: russ99

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad