Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Pretty bad position we ended up in. We shouldn’t have been in that situation in the first place. Hopefully we learned our lesson to prioritize our young players (or lackthereof at this point). I thought that management did a decent job of trying to fill the holes left by Holloway and Broberg so kudos to them. As for Holloway, Broberg and the Blues…I hope they waste away in mediocrity for years to come :nod:

The question is going to be would you rather have Holloway and Broberg or Jeff Skinner?

Arvidsson and Henrique filled needs, but he was the one "luxury purchase" in early July.

Reactions: harpoon

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
It's not an act, its what I'm seeing. It's reality. It's just dreadful misuse of the assets and roster for no other reason then negligence.

It's ok to see things for what they are instead of what we would like them to be. The Oilers hired this guy and the expected is already happening.
You were screaming from the roof tops for him to tell people what he’s doing, he does some moves and suddenly you go quiet.

He decides to not match these players at 2-3x what they’re worth and you’re back screaming for him to do stuff

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
The Oilers paid two 1sts for Broberg and Holloway
Blame the drafting. There were much better players than Broberg that would have actually contributed on elcs and have helped us for years in multiple playoffs.

Exact same thing with Holloway and other Holland picks. Oddly enough only good Holland pick is the one that resulted in Ekholm.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Is there another RFA dman that we can offer sheet with the picks and space (Kane LTIR too) we have?
I think there has been some overreaction on the threads here.

Add Lavoie and Savoie to take the place of departed Kane (temporary) and Holloway (permanent). Both of these guys play for near the minimum salary and have good offensive ability.

Sign Barrie and Schultz to one year deals at league minimum. Obviously not long term solutions but who knows which players might be available next summer. Maybe some RFAs with the St. Louis Blues?

Even when Kane returns the team is still cap compliant with room for some moves at the trade deadline.

No cause for panic.

Reactions: nally

Mr Sakich

Mar 8, 2002
Motel 35
vimeo.com
the Oilers now have the cap space to match both contracts if they want to . I wonder if they now call Armstrong and ask what he will trade for Broberg? Armstrong has one day to come up with a deal or loses Broberg. Looking at the Blues prospects, they have nothing imminent in defence but lots of good forwards. Broberg is a very good fit for them.
I figured the extra bit thrown in by STL would happen. It made too much sense

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
It may help this season, but the future just got bleaker

To add "effectively 13.2 at the deadline" you sure as shit are shipping out more young quality pieces. (hello Savoie, O Reilly)

What are we just hoping Free agents will sign here? We have an old roster and will get older after the deadline.
Considering broberg and Holloway are being replaced by players less than a year older than them, it’s not gonna be an older roster than original

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014

Add Lavoie and Savoie to take the place of departed Kane (temporary) and Holloway (permanent). Both of these guys play for near the minimum salary and offensive ability.

Sign Barrie and Schultz to one year deals at league minimum. Obviously not long term solutions but who knows which players might be available next summer. Maybe some RFAs with the St. Louis Blues?

Even when Kane returns the team is still cap compliant with room for some moves at the trade deadline.
1. Lavoie is garbage

2. We already have a million defensemen in the Schultz, Barrie tier.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I do not understand why we got rid of Ceci
Yeah, it's weird for a win now team to trade a fairly important vet Dman albeit flawed and rush it no less before the OS match deadline then replace him with a 24 year old who has 30 games of NHL experience. I liked the trade at the time but I liked it with the assumption that they were matching Broberg and that Emberson would be the #6. Now? I'm left a little bewildered that they're going into the season with Emberson and Stecher or Brown as 2/3 of their right side.

Before somebody says it, it's highly unlikely that the Oilers trade for a top 4 Dman by October. It'll be more of a deadline move.

Pass the Saitl Sauce

Apr 30, 2015
So our D pairings going into next year now look like this?

Ekholm(34)- bouchard(24)
Nurse(29)-Emberson (24)
Kulak(30)-stretcher (30)

If that’s the case I don’t feel good about the upcoming season at all

Macblender

May 5, 2014
Holloway is clearly better than Podkolzin, Broberg has far more upside than Emberson IMO.

The Oilers do get cap space but they really limited their long term potential with these moves. Short term might not be that big of a loss but they've shortened their competitive window unless they can find young players with similar level upside to replace these guys.
We may not have had a window short term matching in the first place since we would have had to trade better depth pieces than these two players out. Long term I agree but this is about winning cups now

Reactions: Whoshattenkirkshoes

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
This sucks but there's options here I guess. Maybe we can use these picks for that player we need.

And I do understand that maybe the real sacrifice in keeping these guys is that it compromises our internal cap structure. Maybe Bowman talked to our top guys and they felt that these guys didn't show that they were on board with the plan

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Where do you slot Ceci to make him look good.

Whether they matched Broberg or not, Ceci had to go. Replacing Ceci with Emberson doesn’t make the team worse and saves cap to potentially make the team better.
Ceci is decent on the third pairing. Not amazing but good in a limited role.

Look at that defense right now and tell me it's championship caliber. Because it looks ripe to get eaten alive.

As for cap space, I don't give a f***. Stop kicking the can down the road.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007

Add Lavoie and Savoie to take the place of departed Kane (temporary) and Holloway (permanent). Both of these guys play for near the minimum salary and have good offensive ability.

No cause for panic.
Savvy Savoie and lovely Lavoie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad