Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I'm thinking maybe we wanted Ceci gone because
-like others point out, he wasn't that good. Imo we still would have had use of him
- maybe we wanted St.Louis to feel we could match, and that's how we got that other 3rd rounder

Imo Ceci was destined to be traded away and replaced sooner or later, so why not give this Emerson a shot and then maybe look for a deadline upgrade later?
Trading Ceci now is doing him a favor. Trading Ceci before the playoffs is an ice cold move. I agree we get to see what Emberson can do with a full season and potentially upgrade at the deadline with the 2nd, 2 x 3rds

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
And swapping Ceci back in for Emberson would not change that.

The bottom part isn’t relevant to the convo. You’re trying to find a gotcha…but I agree with it. It looks worse without Broberg. I think everyone agrees on that. Maybe I’m over valuing Emberson, maybe you’re underestimating him. On paper and on the ice he was better than Ceci last year, one player is trending up, the other is trending down.

They need to find a way to strengthen the Defense after losing Broberg. Everyone can see that.
They better find one soon. If their solution is "Wait until the trade deadline" then Bowman can take a hike.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Not matching Broberg is pretty unforgiveable. He's going to make that contract look cheap in a year.
It sucks but it's forgivable based on what happens next. Ultimately we want a cup. The Broberg situation was not central to that. It wrecks our future but the positive view there is that we have time to repair that.

Reactions: Canovin

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
The Oilers' D will be horrendous.

Ekholm-Broberg
Nurse-Kulak
The Son of Ember-Stetcher
Been there done that. Kulak gets caved on second pair and that's on his natural side.

Probably have to move Kulak as part of the package getting a #4 RD. Then figure out which #7 guys can handle bottom pair duties.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
That's ridiculous. Why bother even drafting anymore then. They should just go watersliding that day.
That is on Holland and to a lesser extent JJ.
Nice parting gift from Kenny and then his buddy Armstrong slides in to finish up.

Reactions: BlackDogg

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
You were screaming from the roof tops for him to tell people what he’s doing, he does some moves and suddenly you go quiet.

He decides to not match these players at 2-3x what they’re worth and you’re back screaming for him to do stuff
Great post.

Shows to some people a GM will never be able to win. Unless of course they do everything the person wants them to do in the exact order they have in thier head and releases their intentions step by step in a press conference or press release. So people can be reassured that the GM isn’t sleeping or on vacation.

Reactions: Leo360

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010
I do blame Stan, he's the GM that did nothing after being hired until utterly forced. I blame JJ too.

If you actually think about it, the Oilers could have had all of Holloway, Broberg, Podkolzin and Emberson if they had been even slightly proactive, but here we are
I'm not convinced that Broberg was going to take a discount to stay here, he wanted out. Holland/Jackson probably could have signed Holloway earlier, why didn't they?

Reactions: grego and guymez

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
That is on Holland and to a lesser extent JJ.
In the end, money doesn't talk--it screams.

The Oilers put themselves in a vulnerable cap space position with some questionable moves over the last few years--no need to rehash those mistakes. Another team saw their chance to take advantage of that vulnerability. You make adjustments and move on.

Reactions: guymez

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
Probably makes sense to announce the Drai resigning right now + whichever RD we traded for to solve our issues…

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
They better find one soon. If their solution is "Wait until the trade deadline" then Bowman can take a hike.
Starting the season this way is fine. We are stacked at forward. I actually like that we would give Podkolzin and Emerson a real shot. There's a chance that they excel and then we are laughing. I don't know the odds of success there but it's boosted by having such a strong supporting cast and depth.

Edit: the problem with going hunting for a solution now is that most teams have their rosters set and don't have much for sale now. The deadline has more options and better ones

Reactions: nally and capazzo

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Ceci is decent on the third pairing. Not amazing but good in a limited role.

Look at that defense right now and tell me it's championship caliber. Because it looks ripe to get eaten alive.

As for cap space, I don't give a f***. Stop kicking the can down the road.
Saying you don’t give a f*** about cap space is saying you don’t give a f*** about the reality of putting together a NhL roster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad