Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Post Free Agent Frenzy, Will JJ Show His Pimp Hand Again to Upgrade the Defense?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
No, it's literally not. Bottom-pairing dmen that moonlight in the top-4 are NHL regulars, something Stetcher has not been since pre-COVID. He's been a 6/7.

Yes, he's been deployed as a top-4 dman here ever since he signed here. How have you not noticed this.

His icetime and usage are basically in line with Kulak’s over the last few seasons. Not a true top four guy, but very much an NHL regular.

And much like Kulak here, Stecher has seen spot top 4 duty with DET, LA, and ARI during that time frame.

Is he a proper solution for the top 4 next to Nurse? God no. Especially come the playoffs.
But as a platoon/safety net for the first few months of the season, so they can ease Broberg into the role? Yeah sure.

Truth be told, even if Ceci were moved, I'm not sure I'd have Stecher in my top 6 going into the playoffs. I'd likely give Kemp the role instead.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Edmonton can start the season by signing Broberg and Holloway for 1 million each. Sending Ryan ,Brown and Stecher down

Leaving

Skinner McD Hyman
Holloway Draisaitl Arvidsson
Kane RNH Perry
Janmark Henrique Brown

Ekholm Bouchard
Nurse Broberg
Kulak Ceci

Could even send Perry down if a prospect is ready. I wouldn't care if Perry got claimed as the Oilers . Have been to the 3rd round , 2nd and the finals the last 3 years. I don't really think the need a guy like Perry

Last edited:

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I still wonder if the hold up with Broberg and Holloyway is that we are going to be opening up cap space first, to try and sign them for more than 1 year, which would require more AAV. It would be a good bet, and would make signing McDavid and Draisaitl smoother.

This could be by Ceci trade or Kane LTIR. Perhaps Ceci trade, if the logic is that we want to avoid the receiving team having too much leverage

Reactions: McDoused

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
With the way Broberg played in playoffs, his usage and how Jeff Jackson talked about him in the offseason, I think he’s all but guaranteed to start in the top 4.

Stecher as our 6th guy im more than fine with. He’s always had a role like that, feel like if he’s healthy and given a full training camp with us, he will show well.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
No, it's literally not. Bottom-pairing dmen that moonlight in the top-4 are NHL regulars, something Stetcher has not been since pre-COVID. He's been a 6/7.

Yes, he's been deployed as a top-4 dman here ever since he signed here. How have you not noticed this.
When teams get injuries on defense, you end up with players playing above where they should be slotted. This isn’t something new, you can’t just keep mediocre players making too much cause a “what if” scenario on an injury.

Reactions: TopShelfGloveSide

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
If the Oilers were to move Ceci for futures would Barrie on a very cheap deal (1 or 2 years $900K) make sense until the deadline?? He and Nurse did have some success together while he was in Edmonton.

This is far from ideal but the remaining RHD list is extremely thin and I don't see a trade that would bring in anyone better that would fit the cap.
Goodness no. That high end GA number the team sported? They would would drop into the lower reaches of the league. Its not about what Ceci does not do, its about what he does do, you have to replace that. Nurse only had success with Barrie due to deployment. Nurses deployment has changed since the Barrie days.

What is needed if there is a replacement is someone that can actually play defense and kill penalties. Tanev, Zub, etc. But teams with those players are just not trading them. And they all have higher cap hits.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
I haven't really been keeping track of his development, but is .911 in the AHL good or considered more of a disappointment?

i think itd be considered "very good for his age/situation" but im sure someone with more AHL experience will chime in

he was also 2nd in the AHL in W's

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Goodness no. That high end GA number the team sported? They would would drop into the lower reaches of the league. Its not about what Ceci does not do, its about what he does do, you have to replace that. Nurse only had success with Barrie due to deployment. Nurses deployment has changed since the Barrie days.

What is needed if there is a replacement is someone that can actually play defense and kill penalties. Tanev, Zub, etc. But teams with those players are just not trading them. And they all have higher cap hits.
I am not sure what you mean by the bolded. While Barrie played with Nurse they were the top pairing playing against the oppositions best. For example, in 2020-21 Barrie had the second most minutes vs elite competition on the Oilers behind Nurse who was amongst the league leaders in that respect. If you have Kulak with Borberg it is possible that Nurse may actually be deployed more like a 2nd pair/3rd pair tweener rather than the main guy as he was when Barrie was an Oiler.

It is easy to point to a guy like Zub. But you yourself point out that it's not realistic. The Oilers need to shed cap if Kane is not on LTIR. At this point one of Kulak and Ceci would appear to be likely candidates to be moved. If it is Ceci that puts the team in a bit of a pickle. Aside from Broberg who takes his spot? My guess is that it will be a platoon role. Stecher might be able to handle the role but it would be good to have at least one veteran back-up. My only reason for suggesting Barrie is that he might come to the Oilers on a very cheap deal. I know his flaws but the options are pretty minimal.

I think I’d rather just try Stecher with Nurse at that point. They’re both smaller puck movers that need to be sheltered but at least you save a couple hundred thousand and can hope for some potentially untapped upside.
That's fair.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta

Attachments

• PXL_20240714_193716054.jpg
    PXL_20240714_193716054.jpg
    285.2 KB · Views: 4

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I don't like Broberg having to cover for Darnell's f*** ups.
I'd frame it more as reducing the opportunities for Nurse to f*** up over covering for the f*** ups.

Broberg had great results moving the puck, making retrievals and denying zone entries. Nurse playing less in his own zone is ideal. Broberg just playing his game and not even worrying about Nurse does that.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
I'd frame it more as reducing the opportunities for Nurse to f*** up over covering for the f*** ups.

Broberg had great results moving the puck, making retrievals and denying zone entries. Nurse playing less in his own zone is ideal. Broberg just playing his game and not even worrying about Nurse does that.
If Nurse is relegated to virtual third pairing status you might as try him on RD. His positioning might actually improve.

If there is any light at the end of the tunnel it should be "the stuff holding Nurse back is basic hockey fundamentals". The easiest things to learn in hockey.

Know when to stand here and look out for this, know when to stand there and look out for that. Don't chase that guy, stay in your position. When a player is crossing the blue line be this close to him and be sure you're at this angle so you can pivot. There is no way he can't learn these things and he has the mobility to do them well.

Reactions: Louis Cypher

aspin3

Oct 31, 2017
Adam Larsson is a great person, the Oilers would benefit from another good person in the organization who's hard to play against.

Broberg - Larsson, sign me up, Larsson teaching Broberg how to be mean and nasty would be great.
Guys Larsson is NOT the same player he was when he was there. Intreesting how so many calling the Oilers Nepotistic are doing this out of nepotism. He got walked badly many times throughout the year.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Either Kane, Ceci or Nurae has to go. Nurse and ceci doesnt work out no more, and then one has to be moved. I prefer Nurse, as his cap is horrendous. The team should approach him and tell him they ask him to wave. At the end, he will get that its time to move on. If you're unwanted, you wont stay for long.

The best would be to trade Kane for a RW. Trading a RD for another RD will be extremly hard.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
I am not sure what you mean by the bolded. While Barrie played with Nurse they were the top pairing playing against the oppositions best. For example, in 2020-21 Barrie had the second most minutes vs elite competition on the Oilers behind Nurse who was amongst the league leaders in that respect.
Time vs elite I find very flawed. According to the stats, near 50% of league regulars are "elite". Foegle is not the same as McDavid. I tend to favor PK time, OZ starts as a good indicator of deployment.

In 20-21 Barrie had 68% OZ starts. And not a single second of PK time. Without a doubt those are massively sheltered minutes, some of the most sheltered in the league.

Compare that to Ceci who has averaged 36.7% OZ starts with Edmonton and has spent 1/7th of his TOI in PK situations.

And despite the difference, Ceci still lets in less ES GA/60 than Barrie during their Edmonton career, despite league scoring begin up in Ceci's tenure.

In 20-21 with Barrie, Nurse, had 48.3% OZ starts. In the next 3 years with Ceci he averaged under 40%. It is obvious that Nurses deployment has changed drastically with Ceci as his partner as opposed to Barrie.

These two are entirely different D men for entirely different usages. Ceci would suck at being Barrie, Barrie would suck at being Ceci.

If Nurse is relegated to virtual third pairing status you might as try him on RD. His positioning might actually improve.
He already has enough brain farts in the defensive end. On his opposite side those would just increase as he'd lose a lot of ability to defend along the boards.

Reactions: McDoused
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Albania vs Georgia
    Albania vs Georgia
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $472.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Andorra vs Malta