Confirmed Trade: [MTL/CBJ] Patrik Laine, '26 2nd for Jordan Harris

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Who cares about his next contract? You don't have to try to keep him long term for him to have value as a rental.
Let's just speculate for fun, and go way beyond to the future. If he's a success in Montreal, it probably isn't outlandish to think that he would sign a reasonable contract extension if he's finally in his happy place after 10 years in the league.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Columbus paid this guy $9mil to play <20 games last year and got out of the contract with zero retention. They are the clear winners of this deal. They will still suck but no retention is crazy.
It's almost impossible for the Habs not to come out winners in this trade, regardless of whether it works out for Columbus. The early 2nd round pick for Jordan Harris was probably a slight overpay by the Jackets, so at worst all this cost Montreal was some unused salary cap space if Laine completely flops. If Laine can turn things around, the Habs get a useful top6 forward still in his prime who can either be re-signed in two years or traded for some assets.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Let's just speculate for fun, and go way beyond to the future. If he's a success in Montreal, it probably isn't outlandish to think that he would sign a reasonable contract extension if he's finally in his happy place after 10 years in the league.

I don't think it's crazy to think to that. I watched his full 26 minute interview (which you can find here Laine ‘super excited’ for new opportunity in Montreal | Montréal Canadiens ) and I get the feeling his focus is more on trying to win. He is saying all the right things and seems like he's in a good head space.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
But what good is that capspace going to do for them in the next two years? And vice versa, how does the Laine caphit hurt the Canadiens during the next two years, when they are essentially just trying to make the playoffs? Even if they miss the playoffs this year, it won't be a disaster as long as it's close.
Waddell said he was contacted by a few teams right after the deal looking to get some cap relief. By moving 9M off the books and not having an immediate need for the money they could potentially take on a bad contract and make up for not getting much back on the Laine deal.

Cap space is still an extremely valuable commodity around the league. There's multiple teams who aren't under the cap right now.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Sure, but my point is that he doesn't have to re-sign with the Habs for him to be a valuable asset. A player with his offensive abilities @4.35M could earn a huge haul at the deadline from a contender with a mediocre PP.

Reactions: Colezuki and LOFIN

I Hate Philadelphia

Aug 10, 2015
Orlando, Florida
It's almost impossible for the Habs not to come out winners in this trade, regardless of whether it works out for Columbus. The early 2nd round pick for Jordan Harris was probably a slight overpay by the Jackets, so at worst all this cost Montreal was some unused salary cap space if Laine completely flops. If Laine can turn things around, the Habs get a useful top6 forward still in his prime who can either be re-signed in two years or traded for some assets.

His prime?? His best numbers were 6/7 seasons ago and he's never come close to even sniffing his numbers from his best season in 2017-18. Let's be real here.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Waddell said he was contacted by a few teams right after the deal looking to get some cap relief. By moving 9M off the books and not having an immediate need for the money they could potentially take on a bad contract and make up for not getting much back on the Laine deal.

Cap space is still an extremely valuable commodity around the league. There's multiple teams who aren't under the cap right now.
This is true, you can try to pick up a few more picks doing that.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
His prime?? His best numbers were 6/7 seasons ago and he's never come close to even sniffing his numbers from his best season in 2017-18. Let's be real here.
Yeah, because he has been injured, not because his play has dramatically dropped off. His goal scoring pace hasn't been the same since Winnipeg, but he was actually pacing for more points over 82 games with Columbus than what he actually scored in Winnipeg over 82.

SteelCityCannon

Mar 25, 2017
Correct me if I'm wrong, but he seems to have the top speed but lack in explosion/acceleration?
Yeah I would agree with that. He's faster than he looks because he takes really long strides. His problem is general intensity/drive. Patty always struck me as a player who needs to play "pissed off" to be effective. Unfortunately that doesn't go well with weak mental fortitude.

Reactions: jfhabs

frederixx

Dec 5, 2005
Habs will be paying $20mil for Laine, Gallagher and Anderson to score a combined 35-40 goals :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

They can easily afford it and still have some money left. It's like laughin at Warren Buffet for eating a 50$ burger. They only have money coming off the books starting next year.
I guess we could make fun of their actual roster and how they are a lottery team (for now), but certainly not how Hugues is managing his finance

Eco

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2013
QC
I'm not sure how people can think this is bad in any way for the Habs.

We'd have accepted a 2nd for Harris straight up, but add in a former #2OA pick with his size and shot and absolutely nothing to lose after being miserable in Columbus and then entering the Player Assistance Program?

This is a homerun for Hughes and just another step in the right direction to get us back in mix for playoffs and ultimately the SCF.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Yeah, because he has been injured, not because his play has dramatically dropped off. His goal scoring pace hasn't been the same since Winnipeg, but he was actually pacing for more points over 82 games with Columbus than what he actually scored in Winnipeg over 82.
Also I doubt hughes gets bent in any Laine contract negotiations. Not really worried about that , (sorry i quoted the right person but the wrong post of yours)

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Lineup:

Slafkovsky - Suzuki - Caufield
Laine - Dvorak - Demidov
Newhook - Dach - Roy
Evans - A.Koivu - Armia

Laine play first line and second line

Laine/Caufield/Slafkovsky are the team.

Montreal have very talented team.

Montreal will reach the playoff race.

Highly highly doubt Koivu will be in the NHL this year.

ZDH

Mar 6, 2008
This isn't going to go well...

Practically no risk though so whatever.

SensontheRush

Never said it was Sunshine
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa
Gross trade for CBJ.

Harris is not a reliable NHLer. Was very clearly a weak-link on MTL and is an addition by subtraction.

Eco

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2013
QC
Montreal just needs to get a star goaltender and I think they're set.
Give us a few more years to grow and get all this young talent more time to grow.

Fowler has the potential to be that star Goaltender, and by the time he's ready, we should be done with Gally, Christian, and Anderson's bloated contracts.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
You make it sound like he scored 14 on average over full seasons. If Laine stay healthy it's unlikely he doesn't get 30+, if he score 14 and get injured then it's bad luck. There's some risk factor for Montreal but not his goalscoring ability, it's the least of Laine's problems.
Those are full seasons for him. We’re not talking one, two or even three years. He hasn’t played a full season in a very long time.

That’s who he now is. There’s nothing to suggest that’s gonna change. It’s like he just doesn’t enjoy playing the game. No shrink is gonna change that. Even now, wanting another fresh start.

There’s huge questions with him.

Reactions: I Hate Philadelphia

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I don't think it's crazy to think to that. I watched his full 26 minute interview (which you can find here Laine ‘super excited’ for new opportunity in Montreal | Montréal Canadiens ) and I get the feeling his focus is more on trying to win. He is saying all the right things and seems like he's in a good head space.

I could be wrong but I don't think I am. Fans think Montreal was a bad option but I think it's a great fit for both Laine and the Habs. He's not coming here to be on an island by himself (like Drouin).

Laine knows what is expected coming to Montreal and he wanted to come. That means a lot and I agree, he seems very focused on what he has to do as a player to produce and also how to fit within the Habs core.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad