Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Post Free Agent Frenzy, Will JJ Show His Pimp Hand Again to Upgrade the Defense?

Status
Not open for further replies.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
When has ever, in his career, been able to move the puck out with his feet? He has never, ever been able to break the puck out. Even in juniors he couldn’t. He can join rushes- but he isn’t any sort of puck transporter at all

A lot of people here seem to agree with me that he is more than capable moving the puck with his feet. He doesn't do it enough and defers to stretch passes, which he sucks at, but that doesn't mean he's not capable of it or not any good at it.

When he is moving his feet he's usually at least decent, when he's trying to do "less is more" he stands around and f***s up basic plays. The difference in his game when he has his feet moving is night and day.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Krebs has a few fights under his belt and doesn't seem to be afraid to mix it up. He's young enough that he could still carve a career out for himself. Sure, on a deal that he could be sent down without cap staying on the books I'd be down for a 1-2 year deal.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Probably because the best agents who could have success on the other side of the table likely don’t want to. They’re making bank repping players.

Yep. Jackson signed like 400 million worth of contracts. 5% puts him basically in line with an NHL GM salary without having the headache of fan criticism. Not to mention the fact that if a player fires you, you lose a portion of your income. If a team fires you, you lose all your income. Seems like kind of a no brainer to me

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I'm really like Buffalo redundancy. Skinner, Savoie and soon to be Krebs

Yep. Jackson signed like 400 million worth of contracts. 5% puts him basically in line with an NHL GM salary without having the headache of fan criticism. Not to mention the fact that if a player fires you, you lose a portion of your income. If a team fires you, you lose all your income. Seems like kind of a no brainer to me
NHL GM job security doesn't work like that. You get fired, you got a job lining up right away with more pay

Reactions: DarksideGhost

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Would have been on offer in the McLeod trade discussions. One year from restricted free agency and pay raise versus higher end, no cap and beginning entry level option the Oil took.

I liked Krebs as a junior. But not a fit on a Cup running team.

EDIT: Sam O'Reilly is also the slow cook, mid-range, bottom 6 centre option in their system. Short-term guys are Philp and Grubbe.

Last edited:

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Would have been on offer in the McLeod trade discussions. One year from restricted free agency and pay raise versus higher end, no cap and beginning entry level option the Oil took.

I liked Krebs as a junior. But not a fit on a Cup running team.

EDIT: Sam O'Reilly is also the slow cook, mid-range, bottom 6 centre option in their system. Short-term guys are Philp and Grubbe.
Ask to talk to Kreb's agent before a trade and see if he'll agree to 2 or 3 years at 1M. He wouldn't start in the top six during the first year but would get McDrai shifts, all the wingers get McDrai shifts, then battle for second unit pp and pk minutes. Then he could move up next year if he earns it. That's a real incentive for young players to take less.

Last edited:

herestohoping

Nov 14, 2009
Don’t GM’s have guaranteed contracts like players? X mill/year for x years?

Edit: wrote coaches but meant GM’s. But I think coaches are similar?

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Ask to talk to Kreb's agent before a trade and see if he'll agree to 2 or 3 years at 1M. He wouldn't start in the top six in the first year but would get McDrai shifts this year and battle for second unit pp and pk minutes. All the wingers get McDrai shifts. Then he could move up next year if he earns it. That's a real incentive for young players to take less.
I think Krebs is a bottom six player on a Cup team. I can see Savoie moving into the Skinner top 6 spot in two years. Rest are established veterans. Henrique has 3C likely this season and next. So really only looks like a bottom six utility guy. Krebs is likely at a stage where he wants more certainty with ice-time and opportunity and the requisite Qwan that follows it.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Krebs would be a nice add. People are forgetting Jeff Skinner is only signed to 1 year and might be using us to pump his value. Beyond 2 years we will need cheap value players.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Krebs would be a nice add. People are forgetting Jeff Skinner is only signed to 1 year and might be using us to pump his value. Beyond 2 years we will need cheap value players.

Using each other*

With Draisaitl needing a raise next season and McDavid needing one the following year Skinner, Henrique and Arvidsson were never going to have more years on the table offered by Edmonton in negotiations

Reactions: McDoused

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I think Krebs is a bottom six player on a Cup team. I can see Savoie moving into the Skinner top 6 spot in two years. Rest are established veterans. Henrique has 3C likely this season and next. So really only looks like a bottom six utility guy. Krebs is likely at a stage where he wants more certainty with ice-time and opportunity and the requisite Qwan that follows it.
I think that with Arvidsson's injury history we likely see him play 65 or less games as well so there could potentially be a chance for an audition for someone like Savoie or Lavoie if this happens.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
My hope is that Skinner really likes it here like Barrie did and extends for 2-3 years at a reasonable cap hit but a definite raise on his current deal.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I'm really like Buffalo redundancy. Skinner, Savoie and soon to be Krebs

NHL GM job security doesn't work like that. You get fired, you got a job lining up right away with more pay
Am I missing something? As of now wasn't it just an idea floated by Broberg Speed?

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I think that with Arvidsson's injury history we likely see him play 65 or less games as well so there could potentially be a chance for an audition for someone like Savoie or Lavoie if this happens.
Kane's in the mix too. But I think it's fair to think Savoie and Lavoie get NHL games this season. Course that's if Lavoie isn't waiver claimed or dealt.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Krebs is interesting, but Daniel Sprong is still a UFA, if you're going to take a flyer on a guy, he might be the one.

Kubalik is also just sitting out there.
Sprong is entirely one dimensional, even more so than your typical forwards who get accused of that like J. Skinner or Eberle and he apparently has attitude issues, I don't think we have the cover to run multiple guys who either skew or are one dimensional its already going to create challenges just having Skinner and Kane on the same team.

I think the focus on forwards should be on filling out the rest of Janmarks 4th line, I think we could use an additional PK forward preferably someone who can take RH draws and a forward who is solid on the forecheck and can toss out the odd punishing body check would be nice.

I'm not sure on how to feel about Krebs, I've been an unapologetic Krebs hater, but it's cause I never saw the upside in him to justify getting drafted in the 1st round, but now that he is on the Marty Reasoner career trajectory, I can kind of see it, he definitely worked hard, but my preference would be someone more experienced for the role.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Sprong is entirely one dimensional, even more so than your typical forwards who get accused of that like J. Skinner or Eberle and he apparently has attitude issues, I don't think we have the cover to run multiple guys who either skew or are one dimensional its already going to create challenges just having Skinner and Kane on the same team.

I think the focus on forwards should be on filling out the rest of Janmarks 4th line, I think we could use an additional PK forward preferably someone who can take RH draws and a forward who is solid on the forecheck and can toss out the odd punishing body check would be nice.

I'm not sure on how to feel about Krebs, I've been an unapologetic Krebs hater, but it's cause I never saw the upside in him to justify getting drafted in the 1st round, but now that he is on the Marty Reasoner career trajectory, I can kind of see it, he definitely worked hard, but my preference would be someone more experienced for the role.
I'd still like to see a physical winger to round out our bottom 6. If Kane is hurt and J. Brown is in the PB this is a fairly non physical team.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Don’t GM’s have guaranteed contracts like players? X mill/year for x years?

Edit: wrote coaches but meant GM’s. But I think coaches are similar?

Yes, but as soon as that runs out you still have to find another job. Look at a guy like Benning. Would you rather make 2 million a year for 3 years as a GM, or 1.5 million a year for 20+ years as an agent?

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Yes, but as soon as that runs out you still have to find another job. Look at a guy like Benning. Would you rather make 2 million a year for 3 years as a GM, or 1.5 million a year for 20+ years as an agent?
To be fair, an agent working for an agency isn’t taking home all of the ~5% of a players salary. No clue what the breakdown would be, but for example, Wasserman has 3200+ employees according to their website. Paying those salaries needs to come from somewhere. A GMs earnings are their own.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad