Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Does Bowman Make His Mark on the Team Before Training Camp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
The 4 year deal never made financial sense for Draisaitl.

Stupid question - Does anything really need to make financial sense for Draisaitl?

I'm sure he pulls mad endorsement money out of Europe, and he is officially slated to marry into the Desjardin's insurance empire.

Plus he's already made pretty good coin already.

Maybe the four dogs and two mutts have it right?

Reactions: nally

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
If they do leave a loaf of bread or two on the table, that just goes to show the maturity of this team and what’s important. They all want to win but they know they can’t bring in proper supporting talent to get there if they take max deals in a cap world. I’ll be very proud of these guys if this winds up being the case, not with just Leon & Connor, but other guys too (Bouchard for example).

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Stupid question - Does anything really need to make financial sense for Draisaitl?

I'm sure he pulls mad endorsement money out of Europe, and he is officially slated to marry into the Desjardin's insurance empire.

Where have you read that they linked Celeste to that Desjarndin's empire?

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Myself I haven't read anything, just that's the buzz I heard from a few lady fans I know.

But I guess could be totally out to lunch, idk.
Either way, those 2 will never be needing foodstamps.

They're set for life, so it depends on what his goals are, I think getting this close to a cup and losing might actually help keep his price a little lower.

Reactions: nally

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Myself I haven't read anything, just that's the buzz I heard from a few lady fans I know.

But I guess could be totally out to lunch, idk.
There are Only fan sites for those with an insurance fetish? Man they have it all.

Just bugging ya.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009

Well, generally you see guys signing those short deals because they think they can maximize their earnings down the line. But they're usually doing that when they will still be at a prime earning age when their short deal expires.

Draisaitl will be 30 by the time his new contract kicks in, and he would be 35 when his hypothetical 4-year contract ends and his new one would start. I don't think there's any way he could come out ahead on a contract starting when he's 35 when he's left potentially 40+ million on the table by signing for only 4 years.

Sure he's already made generational money, but there is no reason for him to leave probably $40 million on the table. It just makes zero sense.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
Waiting till McDavid re-signs means going to free agency. I suspect he and McDavid have had a chat or two about this.
There’s really no reason to wait. McDavid has a blank cheque - if McDrai decide on a number together now there’s no chance the Oilers don’t accept McDavid’s request as soon as they can sign him.

Paralyzer

Oilers Win Cup in 2025
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
I never paid the 2 Mutts Pod any mind as a source but they were the first to be definitive on the Bowman hiring before any of the insiders and are also followed by Stauffer and Dreger apparently, so Im choosing to believe their very specific tweet which would be amazing news haha.

2 mutts podcast is run by Joshua Marshall, who was a Flames fan back in the day and used to post a ton of made-up rumors on Twitter like 10+ years ago before he got sources. Now he has sources and he's confident in them now. I can verify he has legit sources through a friend who also works for them, and if he says he heard something, it's more than likely true. They get regular NHL players and alumni to come on and talk with them (Lanny McDonald, Iginla, Gilmour, Tocchet, Staios, Stauffer, Gregor, etc.)

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Waiting till McDavid re-signs means going to free agency. I suspect he and McDavid have had a chat or two about this.
Chatting is one thing. Signing makes it real. I know the team and fans wouldn't want to go into July 2025 with Drai a UFA but why should he care? It's not like we'd trade him, unless he said he was leaving.

Reginald Dunlop

Apr 8, 2014
2 mutts podcast is run by Joshua Marshall, who was a Flames fan back in the day and used to post a ton of made-up rumors on Twitter like 10+ years ago before he got sources. Now he has sources and he's confident in them now. I can verify he has legit sources through a friend who also works for them, and if he says he heard something, it's more than likely true. They get regular NHL players and alumni to come on and talk with them (Lanny McDonald, Iginla, Gilmour, Tocchet, Staios, Stauffer, Gregor, etc.)
Right on, appreciate the clarification and confirms my optimism in his tweet. Thanks!

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
I haven't seen a single reputable source theorize that Draisaitl would prefer a 4-year deal. It seems to have only come from fan speculation.
In fact the only messaging coming from "insiders" or anyone close to the situation has gone out of their way to dismiss the 4-year term speculation and say that 8 years is most likely.

Reactions: Oilhawks

CanadasTeam99

Jul 22, 2024
I haven't seen a single reputable source theorize that Draisaitl would prefer a 4-year deal. It seems to have only come from fan speculation.
In fact the only messaging coming from "insiders" or anyone close to the situation has gone out of their way to dismiss the 4-year term speculation and say that 8 years is most likely.
I would never ever take a 4 year deal. You will regress. Take the 8 and more income. Who even took a 4 year deal like this? Mustachio in Toronto?

I would ONLY take a 4 year deal if I had plans to leave on a retirement deal somewhere. still dumb to me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad