News: Arbitration Thread

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Stastney is ready for full-time NHL action. He is waiver exempt also, whereas Marc Del Gaizo is not, so the Preds might send Stastney back down anyway. Who knows. I'd certainly trust Stastney for everyday duty in the NHL based on what I've seen of him so far. Offering him 2 years worth of 2-way money is a bit extreme on the team side. I would have just offered $775k one-way, and that would have seemed like a fair compromise for where he's at in his career.

Last edited:

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Well, we know the Stastney case is in the next 48 hours:

Seems unlikely to me the arbitrator would award Stastney a 1-way contract given the # of NHL games he’s played the past two seasons (8 and 20).

Throw in the risk that the arbitrator could award a two year contract 2-way both years. My first impression is Stastney should be the more motivated party to reach a settlement before the arbitration hearing.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Well, we know the Stastney case is in the next 48 hours:

Coming off a 2 year

925K / 70K per year contract

2 way seems right (atleast for year one) given he hasnt played a ton of NHL games. I don't think it should matter much because he should be in the NHL next season (unless theyre going to do some serious cap gymnastics and keep him down because he doesnt require waivers).

Personally think he should get more in the minors (especially if you are looking to lower his NHL salary at the same time).

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Coming off a 2 year

925K / 70K per year contract

2 way seems right (atleast for year one) given he hasnt played a ton of NHL games. I don't think it should matter much because he should be in the NHL next season (unless theyre going to do some serious cap gymnastics and keep him down because he doesnt require waivers).

Personally think he should get more in the minors (especially if you are looking to lower his NHL salary at the same time).
As others have said, I don't think he can win in arbitration. As Preds fans watching him play for us, we tend to be impressed and think he's definitely good enough to be on the NHL team full time next season. But that is a qualitative assessment, and not something he's going to be able to convey in arbitration.

$125k and $175k are definitely low for minor league pay, since we'll be paying several guys in Milwaukee in the $225-400k range, and if they're going to leverage his waiver exemption to "overcook" him in the minors, it's not entirely fair he'd be getting half the salary of a Kevin Gravel, less than Angello, etc. But c'est la vie for him.

I wonder if they are going to hold off announcing results of hearings just like they did with the schedule?

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
As others have said, I don't think he can win in arbitration. As Preds fans watching him play for us, we tend to be impressed and think he's definitely good enough to be on the NHL team full time next season. But that is a qualitative assessment, and not something he's going to be able to convey in arbitration.

$125k and $175k are definitely low for minor league pay, since we'll be paying several guys in Milwaukee in the $225-400k range, and if they're going to leverage his waiver exemption to "overcook" him in the minors, it's not entirely fair he'd be getting half the salary of a Kevin Gravel, less than Angello, etc. But c'est la vie for him.

I wonder if they are going to hold off announcing results of hearings just like they did with the schedule?

I believe all of those players making $200k+ in Milwaukee were UFAs? Not RFAs like Stastney.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
I believe all of those players making $200k+ in Milwaukee were UFAs? Not RFAs like Stastney.
Absolutely. The team has the leverage. Just it is a bit of running sore spot that we are paying older UFAs more than our younger better players. Which is the way things work, but still seems unnecessarily cheap on the organization's part. Stastney should be in the NHL, so it shouldn't really matter.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Boston couldn't take him to arbitration if they instigated it last time but he could have filed if he wanted to

A player can only be taken to arbitration once in his career and can never receive less than 85% of his salary from the previous season. A player can request arbitration as many times as they are eligible and can ask for any amount of salary.​
He missed the boat, for this year.
was player elected last time.

PredsV82

All In LFG!
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
ICYMI Stastney got a pretty good deal. 1st year is 2 way 825k but 400k in the AHL, second year is 825k one way.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Interesting. Is it just the one arbitrator?

Scheduling them non-concurrently suggests that may be the case?

Historically there have been multiple arbitrators. Also this is the list of remaining cases which weren’t already settled. The original scheduling list for all the arbitration players should have been more condensed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad