Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Does Bowman Make His Mark on the Team Before Training Camp?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Wouldn’t surprise me if Kane being ready for the start of the year talk is just posturing.

If they thought there was a good chance Kane would be ready to start the year then they would of known they were going to have to shed a couple million more in salary in order to get the rfa’s signed and fit everyone under the cap. If they knew they were going to need to shed 2-3M before the season, I can’t see Jackson putting that off until the back half of August when other teams have done their business.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Say it with me, Cody Ceci is not a good defenceman.

Let's take a look at the numbers. Lets start with his HDCF% last year during the regular season. He was literally the worst on the team 5v5 when it came to High Danger chances.

View attachment 900508

He only got worse in the playoffs. He is not someone that you want on the ice when you have a lead with the bad reads and plays.

View attachment 900509

You might say, McDoused that's just one metric. Here is his CF% 5v5 which was 7th worst on the team (only slightly better than the 1 game Kemp played and the 12 games Broberg played).

View attachment 900503

What about the playoffs? Once again, he was worse in the playoffs than the regular season with a 42.42 CF%.

View attachment 900510

You might not be a fan of corsi, so lets take a look at a few more metrics.

During the regular season he was 8th among dmen for SF% 5v5. This means that on a team that usually played in the offensive zone, he struggled to break even.

View attachment 900504

As you can imagine this only got worse in the playoffs where his SF% went down to 44.31. He was hemmed in his own zone too often compared to the test of the defence. As a leader and a guy getting paid more, he should have better numbers.

View attachment 900511

Still not convinved? Of the 9 defenceman that played for us last year, guess who had the team worst xGF% 5v5? Thats right, Cody Ceci with 52.88%.

View attachment 900512

How about the playoffs? Much worse at 37.36%.

View attachment 900513

Finally, he also was 6th among dmen for SCF% 5v5 with 52.10% during the regular season.

View attachment 900516

Once again he was even worse in the playoffs with 38.14%.

View attachment 900514

I'm all for acquiring a guy who can help bring down our goals against. Ceci has been a massive hole defensively this year. I actually think that whoever comes in will need to be better at transitioning the puck and spend less time in their own zone..

My fear with this is that we are going to expect too much from Broberg. Its clear that Ceci shouldn’t be a top 4 option but I feel like he also takes too much flack trying to cover up for Nurse. Obviously we are stuck with Nurse and need to improve the pairing but I hope we don’t run a young guy out of Town because he can’t carry our 9.25m dman.

Reactions: McDoused

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Wouldn’t surprise me if Kane being ready for the start of the year talk is just posturing.

If they thought there was a good chance Kane would be ready to start the year then they would of known they were going to have to shed a couple million more in salary in order to get the rfa’s signed and fit everyone under the cap. If they knew they were going to need to shed 2-3M before the season, I can’t see Jackson putting that off until the back half of August when other teams have done their business.

I feel like Jackson tried to set something up about his comments about his hip and getting a second opinion. But there are rumours about Kanes camp seem to want to play? I probably shouldn’t even speculate when it comes to reporting these days especially pertaining to Kane.

I just hope if Kane is actually hurt, I hope he takes the time off to fully recover.

Whatever they decide, I just hope both sides are on the same page.

Last edited:

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I feel like Jackson tried to set something up about his comments about his hip and getting a second opinion. But there are rumours about Kanes camp seem to want to play? Unfortunately you can’t force someone on LTIR if they won’t go, even if they are hurt.

I hope I am wrong but I think it could be an ugly season between Kane and the Oilers. I hope I am wrong, and that Kane is healthy and will play an important role. And if he’s actually hurt, I hope he takes the time off to fully recover.
I think you’re wrong. If the team doctor says Kane should have surgery and he doesn’t want to then the doctor likely wouldn’t clear him and the team could put him on ltir. Under the cba teams have final say over players injury recoveries.

Here is a link to an article about the Eichel Buffalo situation which has some good information.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I think you’re wrong. If the team doctor says Kane should have surgery and he doesn’t want to then the doctor likely wouldn’t clear him and the team could put him on ltir. Under the cba teams have final say over players injury recoveries.

Here is a link to an article about the Eichel Buffalo situation which has some good information.

I did edit my post after you responded. I think I am getting too much into speculation, which I don’t think is smart based on how things are reported.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
Can we stop bashing Ceci until after he's traded?

Y'all going to wonder why we got a pathetic return for the guy after talking shit about him all summer.

Kulak and Ceci are great players. I just wish we had the cap space to keep both of them.
No, Kulak is good as a third pairing LHD. Ceci is not good as a 2nd pairing RHD, and is overpriced for a third pairing RHD.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Kulak is a better player than Ceci in my opinion, but with our depth chart on the right side, I can't see us moving Ceci.

I wouldn't go into the season expecting Broberg to play his offside all year. Just because he can do it, doesn't mean he should. Broberg will be a much better player on his natural side and he needs to be put in a position to thrive. Not making up for mistakes of management.

I would trade Kulak this summer and let Ceci's contract expire.

Agree that Kulak is the better player than Ceci, but Ceci is the harder piece to replace with Vinny also gone.

Although there is a question about the cap (though it seems more and more likely Kane is going for surgery after camp), my guess is they try Kulak/Broberg-Ceci as a stronger 3rd pairing so they can experiment with all 3 of Stecher, Broberg and Kulak next to Nurse.

I also don't think it's unlikely Nurse is moved to his offside. My guess for what the defence settles in as:

Ekholm-Bouchard
Broberg-Nurse
Kulak-Ceci
Stecher

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
OH RIGHT.

He's definitely a player. He logged a lot of minutes on a team that went to game 7 of the Stanley cup finals. Definitely a glue guy that teammates love...

If you aren't an Edmonton fan, please ignore all the data and graphs that were just posted.
The most disturbing part of the charts is that Broberg is worse and is being pencilled in by many as a top 4 Dman next year…god this team needs another top 4 badly.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Kulak is a better player than Ceci in my opinion, but with our depth chart on the right side, I can't see us moving Ceci.

I wouldn't go into the season expecting Broberg to play his offside all year. Just because he can do it, doesn't mean he should. Broberg will be a much better player on his natural side and he needs to be put in a position to thrive. Not making up for mistakes of management.

I would trade Kulak this summer and let Ceci's contract expire.
I rather move Ceci and play Kulak on his offside. Overall positive that way.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Let's assume that the rumors are true:

1. Broberg and Holloway signed for a combined 2.4M
2. Evander Kane starts the season on LTIR
3. Oilers ice a 22-man roster

That would leave them with just under 2.6M to spend over the course of the season.

1723496858002.png

Although this helps the team in the short term, we won't be accruing cap space for the deadline.

I'm kind of torn on the issue because I really like Kane as a player and think a healthy Evander Kane in the playoffs will be a better addition than anything else we have. I wouldn't be surprised if other guys go on LTIR around the deadline to heal up for the playoffs as well.

The Oilers can still move out Ceci (3.25M) and use that extra (2.6) for a total of 5.85M. Given that teams can still retain/double retain we would have the cap to bring in whoever we want at the deadline.

Last edited:

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
My fear with this is that we are going to expect too much from Broberg. Its clear that Ceci shouldn’t be a top 4 option but I feel like he also takes too much flack trying to cover up for Nurse. Obviously we are stuck with Nurse and need to improve the pairing but I hope we don’t run a young guy out of Town because he can’t carry our 9.25m dman.
Ceci is bad, very bad, with or without Nurse as a partner.

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
Broberg and Holloway aren't even full-time NHL players. They should be grateful to have a one way league minimum deal and be penciled onto the roster.

Reactions: Duke74

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Let's assume that the rumors are true:

1. Broberg and Holloway signed for a combined 2.4M
2. Evander Kane starts the season on LTIR
3. Oilers ice a 22-man roster

That would leave them with just under 2.6M to spend over the course of the season.

View attachment 900585

Although this helps the team in the short term, we won't be accruing cap space for the deadline.

I'm kind of torn on the issue because I really like Kane as a player and think a healthy Evander Kane in the playoffs will be a better addition than anything else we have. I wouldn't be surprised if other guys go on LTIR around the deadline to heal up for the playoffs as well.

The Oilers can still move out Ceci (3.25M) and use that extra (2.6) for a total of 5.85M. Given that teams can still retain/double retain we would have the cap to bring in whoever we want at the deadline.
Ideally, Kane needs to be on LTIR after the start of the season to maximize LTIR. Moving Ceci out maybe the move regardless.

Is there any reason why Kane would wait until the start of the season to have surgery? Cap reasons?
Because it’s better cap wise for him to go on LTIR after the start of the season.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Yamamoto at league minimum to play the same role as Jason Tatum of USA basketball team

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
The most disturbing part of the charts is that Broberg is worse and is being pencilled in by many as a top 4 Dman next year…god this team needs another top 4 badly.
Broberg isn’t worse. He can exit the zone much better than Ceci and actually lead the Oilers in the finals in successful zone exits. The problem with Brobe4g is the in zone defending on his off side. It’s bad enough that Nurse allows easy zone entries but he also move the puck to save his life. That pair got hemmed in because of that. Nurse was deployed the least 5v5 for all d men as the playoffs progressed

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Is there any reason why Kane would wait until the start of the season to have surgery? Cap reasons?
1) He doesn’t have to spend his already short offseason recovering from surgery.
2) It helps the team with some of their cap issues at the start of the season.
3) He wouldn’t have to grind out a full 82 game season before what is likely to be another long playoff run. Instead he can come back have 30-50 games to get up to speed and be ready to go for playoffs.

Those would my guesses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad