Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Does Bowman Make His Mark on the Team Before Training Camp?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Through all the contracts Mr. Jackson signed this off season, Corey Perry's contract is the only one that I would question. Seeing as how his contract makes me scratch my head, either Jackson made a bad decision or he knows something that I don't. I think in this case, I will trust his choice over my opinion.

Could just be as simple as the leadership group wanted him back.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Through all the contracts Mr. Jackson signed this off season, Corey Perry's contract is the only one that I would question. Seeing as how his contract makes me scratch my head, either Jackson made a bad decision or he knows something that I don't. I think in this case, I will trust his choice over my opinion.
Overpaid by what 200k? I don’t really see it as very head scratching. 22 points in 56 games including 12 goals. A bunch of playoff experience, leadership and can play with an edge if need be. Clearly liked by the team. He would no doubt have other teams after him.

Even small things a vet like Perry does like telling players not to engage at certain times is needed for a playoff run. That was an issue for the Oilers the previous playoff run.

Last edited:

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
That's not true.

Ceci needs to go. Regardless of expiring contracts we need to find someone better suited to play with Darnell Nurse.

It's one of the few moves Bowman actually needs to make this year.
I really hope they go into the season planning to try the Nurse/Bouchard pairing again. Ekholm is going to slow down at some point so it’d be wise to see if that’s a viable option going forward while also letting him directly mentor Broberg by being his partner for a good chunk of time.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
Could just be as simple as the leadership group wanted him back.
He does have that experience and leadership too. He's saavy IQ wise on the ice, and not afraid to call out players like Kane if they mess up, or even praise when it's deserved. He's respected by his teammates.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
I really hope they go into the season planning to try the Nurse/Bouchard pairing again. Ekholm is going to slow down at some point so it’d be wise to see if that’s a viable option going forward while also letting him directly mentor Broberg by being his partner for a good chunk of time.
Well, playing Nurse with Bouchard will knock a couple million per year off Bouchard's next deal.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Well, playing Nurse with Bouchard will knock a couple million per year off Bouchard's next deal.
Or ruin Bouchard's confidence forever and then we are f***ed!
He was injured, you don't remember him leaving the ice holding his arm?

He's making 4th liner coin. He's pretty f***ing good as 4th liners go.
He played soft compared to how he did in the regular season. I think a lot of our guys were banged up from the Vancouver series. Other than adding Brown we really haven't done anything to get more physical as a team.

Reactions: gordonhught

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
I think we see the cap raise up to 100M in the next couple of years. It might get to more then that but when it comes to contract negotiations, I could see the Oilers try and keep McDrai under 30% of the cap. We couldn't win the cup with these two guys at 24% of the cap, so it's going to be that much harder when they take up an additional 4-6%.

Hopefully Bowman can sell them on taking a reasonable deal. I do think the contracts are connected and the team is planning out the %'s down the road.

2024-2025:
Draisaitl - 13.25M
McDavid - 12.5M
= 25.75M
/ 92M cap
= 28%

2025-2026:
Draisaitl - 13.25M
McDavid - 15M
= 28.25M
/ 96M cap
= 29.42%

2026-2027:
Draisaitl - 13.25M
McDavid - 15M
= 28.25M
/ 100M cap
= 28.25%

I think these numbers are optimistic but still realistic. Who knows, maybe McDavid signs for even less to really give the Oilers a discount but 15M x 8 is 120M. Anywhere else that's 17.14M on a 7 year deal. 15M on a 96M cap is also 15.625% of the cap which is right around what money bags Matthews asked for on a short term deal.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
Ok. Let's hear some names then.
I'd rather trade Ceci over Kulak any day of the week. Kulak has been real, real good for us. Ceci is alright, but he's stuck in a role that he's not a good fit at. Then again, Broberg would be best on his natural side but can be effective on his off side. Will it work if we can slot him in with Nurse? That would allow us to trade Ceci, keep Kulak, and maybe have Stecher or Brown as the #3 RHD?

Reactions: Duke74 and McDoused

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
I'd rather trade Ceci over Kulak any day of the week. Kulak has been real, real good for us. Ceci is alright, but he's stuck in a role that he's not a good fit at. Then again, Broberg would be best on his natural side but can be effective on his off side. Will it work if we can slot him in with Nurse? That would allow us to trade Ceci, keep Kulak, and maybe have Stecher or Brown as the #3 RHD?

I prefer Kulak to Ceci as a defenseman as well.

But that's not what we're talking about right now.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Kulak hasn't been that good. He's exactly average. It's ridiculous how he gets talked about. Ceci on the third pairing is likely better than Kulak on the third pairing.

You definitely move both if you can find cheaper alternatives.

Reactions: belair

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
I prefer Kulak to Ceci as a defenseman as well.

But that's not what we're talking about right now.
True, apologies. It's tough because if they want to play Broberg with Nurse, then you can either try to get picks or a #3 RHD for Ceci. Or do you try to get someone to play with Nurse that's not Broberg? Where do you play Broberg? #3 RHD? He's not a third pairing guy IMO. We also have Stecher, Brown, and even Kemp for that role.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Ok. Let's hear some names then.

I'm not saying their is a plethora of free agent right shot dmen. They don't have to be free agents. But let's give you a list anyways.

Guys that are clearly better:

1. Noah Dobson
2. Brent Burns
3. Adam Larsson
4. Aaron Ekblad
5. Shea Theodore
6. Neal Pionk
7. Jake McCabe

Guys that are arguably better / might be better:

1. Dante Fabbro
2. Jeff Petry
3. Henri Jokiharju
4. Will Borgen
5. David Savard
6. Jan Rutta
7. Nick Perbix

Regardless , I think youre missing the point. It's not about if Ceci is actually better than his replacement (which wouldn'tbe hard). It's that we can't afford Ceci now and someone has to be traded. The Oilers aren't cap compliant. If we accrue cap space, we can upgrade at the deadline.

Basically either Ceci moves or Kulak.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
I'm not saying their is a plethora of free agent right shot dmen. They don't have to be free agents. But let's give you a list anyways.

1. Noah Dobson
2. Brent Burns
3. Adam Larsson
4. Aaron Ekblad
5. Shea Theodore
6. Neal Pionk
7. Jake McCabe

1. Dante Fabbro
2. Jeff Petry
3. Henri Jokiharju
4. Will Borgen
5. David Savard
6. Jan Rutta
7. Nick Perbix

Regardless , I think youre missing the point. It's not about if Ceci is actually better than his replacement (which wouldn'tbe hard). It's that we can't afford Ceci now and someone has to be traded. The Oilers aren't can't compliant. If we accrue cap space, we can upgrade at the deadline.

I think the org is really high on Kulak. He's perfectly fine in the role he has, and he's a local boy. I think Ceci will need to be moved for picks. For the cap space we need alone. Broberg can continue to play with Nurse and we have plenty of options for the #3 RHD already available. Cap space is the only thing that matters right now. I suppose they could trade Kulak too, and put Broberg in his spot, but that doesn't leave much cash to get a 2nd pairing RHD.

Kulak hasn't been that good. He's exactly average. It's ridiculous how he gets talked about. Ceci on the third pairing is likely better than Kulak on the third pairing.

You definitely move both if you can find cheaper alternatives.
That's exactly what we need for a third pairing LHD - average. If he's sawing things off even, I'd take it every day. Moving both MIGHT work cap wise. I think Broberg would be a better 3rd pairing LHD than Kulak too, since he's good enough to be a top 4 IMO. Finding a Ceci replacement that can play with Nurse within the cap is the challenge.

Last edited:

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia

1. Noah Dobson
2. Brent Burns
3. Adam Larsson
4. Aaron Ekblad
5. Shea Theodore
6. Neal Pionk
7. Jake McCabe

1. Dante Fabbro
2. Jeff Petry
3. Henri Jokiharju
4. Will Borgen
5. David Savard
6. Jan Rutta
7. Nick Perbix

Regardless , I think youre missing the point. It's not about if Ceci is actually better than his replacement (which wouldn'tbe hard). It's that we can't afford Ceci now and someone has to be traded. The Oilers aren't cap compliant. If we accrue cap space, we can upgrade at the deadline.

Yes, you literally did. I said there's no RHD that will be better than Ceci at the deadline and you're reply was "That's not true."

Then you listed a group of playoff bound dmen that won't be available at the deadline and another group of worse defensemen than Ceci to prove your(or my I guess?) point.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
True, apologies. It's tough because if they want to play Broberg with Nurse, then you can either try to get picks or a #3 RHD for Ceci. Or do you try to get someone to play with Nurse that's not Broberg? Where do you play Broberg? #3 RHD? He's not a third pairing guy IMO. We also have Stecher, Brown, and even Kemp for that role.

I thought Broberg looked fantastic in the later stages of the playoffs on Nurse's right. I just don't know if it's a level of play he can sustain for 100 games next season on his off-side. Seems risky to gamble on given the fact that if he faulters our next man up would be, what, Josh Brown? And what happens when Bouchard or Broberg miss any sort of time for injury.

I get that Ceci isn't the extra cap that we can't afford, but it's also one of the most detrimental positions that will cost us big time if we're undermanned.

Reactions: McBooya42

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
So if they sign Broberg and Holloway for 2.4 million, and adding the 354,000 we are currently over, Ceci has to go. If we only got picks back (which wouldn't hurt to be honest), then we'd have 496,000 in space. If we trade Kulak too (also for more picks), then now we have 3.246 mil in space. Broberg takes Kulak's spot (which he should excel in). Which RHD do we pick up to play with Nurse that is within budget?

From McDoused's list:

1. Noah Dobson
2. Brent Burns
3. Adam Larsson
4. Aaron Ekblad
5. Shea Theodore
6. Neal Pionk
7. Jake McCabe

1. Dante Fabbro
2. Jeff Petry
3. Henri Jokiharju
4. Will Borgen
5. David Savard
6. Jan Rutta
7. Nick Perbix

Are any of those guys possible at 3.275 or slightly less? What if there are picks involved (picked up from the Ceci and Kulak trades?) Better yet, how well would they play with Nurse?

I think the best option is to play Broberg with Nurse and to ship out Ceci for picks. Stecher, Brown, or Kemp can play 3rd RHD. Brown was obviously brought in to replace Vinny, so hopefully he works out. Kemp is a darkhorse, and so is Max Wanner.

Edit: Fixed the numbers.

Last edited:
Reactions: McDoused

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Yes, you literally did. I said there's no RHD that will be better than Ceci at the deadline and you're reply was "That's not true."

Then you listed a group of playoff bound dmen that won't be available at the deadline and another group of worse defensemen than Ceci to prove your(or my I guess?) point.

You said "there's literally none that are better".

To which, I replied thats not true because it isn't.

You asked who?

I just gave you 14 players that are arguably better than Ceci but you are being a blowhard.

Last edited:

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
I thought Broberg looked fantastic in the later stages of the playoffs on Nurse's right. I just don't know if it's a level of play he can sustain for 100 games next season on his off-side. Seems risky to gamble on given the fact that if he faulters our next man up would be, what, Josh Brown? And what happens when Bouchard or Broberg miss any sort of time for injury.

I get that Ceci isn't the extra cap that we can't afford, but it's also one of the most detrimental positions that will cost us big time if we're undermanned.

So then you are trading Kulak to be cap compliant?

Make up your damn mind.

Reactions: thesandman77

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020

Broberg should be counted on because he's been developed in Bakersfield and got a taste in the conference finals, the finals and he won't be a large cap hit player. He's ready for the third pairing. Until he can prove himself over at least one complete NHL season that's where he belongs.

We need to move expensive defensemen out and bring more cost effective defensemen in. Ceci and Kulak are expensive and moveable. Move them both.

This is where the GM, management and pro scouting come into play. Hopefully they are better than we're accustomed to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad