Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Broberg, Holloway and Ceci are Gone, Do We Add Another D Before Camp?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
He actually ranked 3rd fastest among our dmen last season. He's a surprisingly fast skater but is constantly making bad pinches, decisions, passes & plays. So hes always chasing the play and the guys behind him.
Ceci is fine straight line but stiff as a board laterally which is why you see him get turnstiled in space so often. Vinny is just slow all around. Neither could move the puck, at all.

It'll be nice to see a more mobile D that can retrieve pucks, skate and feed transition more although the PK will likely be slightly weakened.

Reactions: Lay Z Boy GM

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Yeah Stecher as the 3rd pairing right side guy will be fine. Is he a world beater? No, but he is more than passable I think. The problem is that right now he won't be the 3rd pairing guy, he is likely to be the 2nd pairing guy, as I doubt they want Emberson to be playing 2nd pairing minutes.
I wouldn't be surprised to see Emberson on the second pair.

They'll likely lean on Nurse defensively again with all the prime offensive minutes going to the top pair and Emberson fits that role better than Stecher.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Don Sweeney watching and responding ... "... so a hometown discount is likely not something you will consider ... right now?" Much more sophisticated young players. Strong leadership in their PA too.
I think Sweeney is confused, because he's not dealing with, unless I'm mistaken, the brutal agent that McAvoy has so he can get that discount.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Not sure if its been posted but I keep seeing that the Oilers are going to be so much slower this year but its overblown.

Yeah I agree with your take. Post TDL the Oilers' top 9 featured Henrique, Perry and Kane with a sports hernia.

RNH-McDavid-Hyman
Henrique-Drai-Kane
Foegele-McLeod-Perry

That's 3 meh to poor skaters. Right now going into TC, I'd say the top 9 features 1 meh skater in Henrique.

Skinner-McDavid-Hyman
RNH-Drai-Arvidsson
Janmark/Podz-Henrique-Brown

Also I feel like people are starting to fall into an Al Davis fallcy when it comes to skating, where only top speed matters. A good example of this is people saying Skinner or Stecher aren't good skaters; And yes, if you go by NHL EDGE, both score poorly at top speed, and # of speed bursts (# of times over 30km/h)

While I'll still argue Stecher is faster than what EDGE has tracked, it still overlooks both have fantastic edges and a super quick first step, two factors that are (imho) more important that top speed.

Last edited:

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan

They'll likely lean on Nurse defensively again with all the prime offensive minutes going to the top pair and Emberson fits that role better than Stecher.

It wouldn't shock me either, I'm just saying that its obviously not ideal, and the team would rather another option.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Boston is in a tough spot. Have a tough time giving goalies 8 years at high cap, but at the same time what choice to they really have?

His numbers speak for themselves and while maybe you can play the card that it's the Bruins system that makes guys look so good, I just don't know that you'll convince him and his agent to buckle.

I get Boston maybe only wanting the shorter term, but then that's going to cost you even more on the cap hit.

On the flip side Sweeney already been in the job for 9 years so by the time term is an issue is he really going to be the GM anyway? Just lock him up long-term and screw over the next guy while you sit in the owners pressbox eating popcorn as President of hockey operations.

Yeah I agree with your take. Post TDL the Oilers' top 9 feature Henrique, Perry and Kane with a sports hernia.

RNH-McDavid-Hyman
Henrique-Drai-Kane
Foegele-McLeod-Perry

That's 3 meh to poor skaters. Right now going into TC, I'd say the top 9 features 1 meh skater in Henrique.

Skinner-McDavid-Hyman
RNH-Drai-Kane

Also I feel like people are starting to fall into an Al Davis fallcy when it comes to skating, where only top speed matters. A good example of this is people saying Skinner or Stecher aren't good skaters; And yes, if you go by NHL EDGE, both score poorly at top speed, and # of speed bursts (# of times over 30km/h)

While I'll still argue Stecher is faster than what EDGE has tracked, but it still overlooks both have fantastic edges and a super quick first step, two factors that are (imho) more important that top speed.
We had McLeod, but his speed wasn't necessarily used properly. But then you have a guy like Henrique as you say as a meh skater, but how often is he in the right spot on both ends of the ice?

Speed is great, but the flip side is if you don't have the IQ your speed takes you further out of position quicker lol

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany

A bit like with Broberg in the SCF, I think the plan will be to start Emberson with Kulak but eventually swap him with Stecher once the team's sure he's got his feet under him.

Truth be told my defensive dark horse for camp is Kemp. He brings a lot of the same elements as Ceci and Vinny; and while last year that had him buried in the depth chart, this year he's really only got Josh Brown challenging him for the DDF with size role.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him win the #7 job in camp, and then eventually push the weaker of Emberson or Stecher out of the lineup.

The Oil would still be better served getting a Connor Murphy type for the role, but I think he'd work as a bandaid until then.

Imo that's going to be the main debate for the OIl this year. The main core of the defence is fairly locked in with....

Ekholm-Bouchard
Nurse
-Emberson/Stecher
Kulak-Kemp/Brown

And the main question is going to be: do you need a Dante Fabbro-type to upgrade on Emberson/Stecher, or a Connor Murphy to upgrade on Kemp/Brown, or both?

Reactions: MessierII

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
A bit like with Broberg in the SCF, I think the plan will be to start Emberson with Kulak but eventually swap him with Stecher once the team's sure he's got his feet under him.

Truth be told my defensive dark horse for camp is Kemp. He brings a lot of the same elements as Ceci and Vinny; and while last year that had him buried in the depth chart, this year he's really only got Josh Brown challenging him for the DDF with size role.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him win the #7 job in camp, and then eventually push the weaker of Emberson or Stecher out of the lineup.

The Oil would still be better served getting a Connor Murphy type for the role, but I think he'd work as a bandaid until then.

Imo that's going to be the main debate for the OIl this year. The main core of the defence is fairly locked in with....

Ekholm-Bouchard
Nurse
-Emberson/Stecher
Kulak-Kemp/Brown

And the main question is going to be: do you need a Dante Fabbro-type to upgrade on Emberson/Stecher, or a Connor Murphy to upgrade on Kemp/Brown, or both?
The nice thing is they’ve got time to figure out the answers to these questions while also letting the trade market develop. This team is more than good enough to keep themselves near the top of the division with their scoring and their team D structure. The way they’ve rounded into form as a defensive unit is what allowed a player like Broberg to step in for Ceci and look decent, and its what will allow them to replace the Ceci’s and Desharnais of the blue line with players who at first glance may not seem ideal but bring a skill set that makes them a suitable part to swap into the machine.

stewy04

Jun 19, 2016
When Savoi comes in to the lineup I hope it's 1st or 2nd line and the 3rd line could be Nuge Henrique and Kane on off wing. That's crazy depth. That would have been our 2nd line not that long ago.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Yeah I agree with your take. Post TDL the Oilers' top 9 featured Henrique, Perry and Kane with a sports hernia.

RNH-McDavid-Hyman
Henrique-Drai-Kane
Foegele-McLeod-Perry

Skinner-McDavid-Hyman
RNH-Drai-Arvidsson

While I'll still argue Stecher is faster than what EDGE has tracked, it still overlooks both have fantastic edges and a super quick first step, two factors that are (imho) more important that top speed.
Agree with your post. Hockey is a start and stop game and not predicated strictly on speed but agility and mobility with much lateral movement. It's also where a strong hockey processor can anticipate play and move into the right situation to make plays as opposed to reactive speed bursts to recover on bad decisions.

The context of NHL Edge was a false claim that Stetcher was faster than Desharnais. NHL Edge proved the reality he isn't and the Oilers fastest skater competition the big man also further affirmed deceptive speed. Now if talking all facets of skating speed, mobility and agility, initial burst that's a different conversation.

Vagabond

Dec 24, 2004
Edmonton
Yeah Stecher as the 3rd pairing right side guy will be fine. Is he a world beater? No, but he is more than passable I think. The problem is that right now he won't be the 3rd pairing guy, he is likely to be the 2nd pairing guy, as I doubt they want Emberson to be playing 2nd pairing minutes.

Agreed. In my own personal opinion, I'd rather the Oil mature the almost 1m cap space until the TDL where it then becomes 4m. Then go out and get the 2nd pairing RHS D'man. Until then I say they play out what they have to see exactly what they have via performances. You never know, perhaps someone takes a massive step forward especially given a chance/opportunity.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Agreed. In my own personal opinion, I'd rather the Oil mature the almost 1m cap space until the TDL where it then becomes 4m. Then go out and get the 2nd pairing RHS D'man. Until then I say they play out what they have to see exactly what they have via performances. You never know, perhaps someone takes a massive step forward especially given a chance/opportunity.

Largely agree. The team as is, barring major injuries, is good enough to make the playoffs. I don't think they are good enough to win the division, but hey, it could happen. Give the existing players a chance, maybe Emberson turns out to be a relatively adequate 2nd pairing guy, or maybe not. Might as well get that knowledge before making any major moves. As you say, we should have a decent amount of cap space by the TDL and can make a move around that time.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
my evidence is that he played 18:26 minutes/game including 16:09 at ES , good for 5th among defenseman on a bad Yotes team...if he could play 2nd pairing minutes, why wasn't he playing them?
So all you’re looking at is minutes and not QoC etc? Lolllll

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
The NHL should just do this. According to Bettman "fans dont want this" but "fans love the digital board advertising". Also when he pisses down our backs it is raining.
Gary is hellbent on getting Phoenix an NHL team again, it's his #1 goal. Feels it's been far too long for their fans to suffer without a team, and will move mountains to get them back in the league. Proven hockey markets like Atlanta and Phoenix deserve teams. ;)

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
To my eye, Ceci was not a fast D man. And in my opinion this metric is beyond misleading for 2 very important reasons:
1) Who cares how fast his top speed is., if it takes a guy (in relative terms) forever to get to it
2) How quickly a guy recognizes "shit, I have to get that puck or on that guy" is massive. It can make an average skater look fast (Gretzky) or a fast skater look slow.
I just look at the Jets\Avs series, Colorado was flying only because the Jets hit nobody.
Next round Dallas smacked them around and Colorado folded.
Florida isn’t some speed demon team either but they banged their way to the finals. If we had Kane banging back and scoring a few goals we likely win that series.

CanadasTeam99

Jul 22, 2024
Frank S said DeAngelo is willing to play for cheap in Edmonton.......For the past while they keep talking about him. I have not watched much of him TBH

Reactions: Bryanbryoil
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad