Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Broberg, Holloway and Ceci are Gone, Do We Add Another D Before Camp?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I’m betting fears of our perceived substantial defensive downgrading will prove to be overblown. I think this is a team that’s going to have the puck a lot of the time, they’re going to score at a high rate and since Knob has taken over they’ve shown a consistent ability to defend well as a team which can go a long way in minimizing individual positional deficiencies. Finally it’s important to remember that the roster we start with isn’t the roster we’re likely to finish with. Management has positioned themselves to be able to make sizeable additions at the deadline or before.
People have short memories on here. Ceci for much of the season was considered barely a bottom pairing D with how bad his puck retrieval and breakout game was looking. Vinny was exposed in the playoffs 2 years in a row, and Broberg has less than 20 quality NHL games to his name.

The idea that these guys were somehow keeping this defence afloat is laughable. I tend to think it's because our PK caught fire in the playoffs and everyone points to that as why Ceci is suddenly such an important piece. To that I say, I'm really not sure what these people were watching. Our aggressive forwards were about 80% responsible for our lights out PK in the playoffs. They were dialled in and committed every shit, they had excellent chemistry in each duo, and they were absolutely smothering other teams on zone entries and kept them neutered on the perimeter once they finally gained the zone.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
based on the fact he's small, isn't a puck-mover, doesn't provide offense and can't bully players physically, plus injured often as an added bonus

there's a reason he signed for league min
Stetcher is a significantly better puck retriever and puck mover than Ceci. Ceci had some of the worst puck retrieval and controlled zone exits metrics of any D in the league.

Yuke

Jan 15, 2020
Stetcher is a significantly better puck retriever and puck mover than Ceci. Ceci had some of the worst puck retrieval and controlled zone exits metrics of any D in the league.
Stetcher will be squished in the playoffs.
Not big enough, not fast enough, not dirty enough

Reactions: McTonyBrar

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I don't think Stetcher is in the plans to be in the top 6 in the playoffs. He's a placeholder until the deadline and a press box guy in the playoffs. The difference between him and Ceci won't be noticed much at all in the regular season. In fact the team will have the puck a lot more when he's on the ice compared to when Ceci was.

Vagabond

Dec 24, 2004
Edmonton

Ceci was bigger but was never aggressive and slow. Stetcher is speedy and closes the gap better. He reads the play better. As a 3rd pairing RH shot, he'll be fine. Especially at less than a 3rd of the cost.

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Did you read the article? Clearly not. Hockey Viz had him as a first pair defenseman all year. He is not that- but he can play second pair. I’ll wait for your evidence.
my evidence is that he played 18:26 minutes/game including 16:09 at ES , good for 5th among defenseman on a bad Yotes team...if he could play 2nd pairing minutes, why wasn't he playing them?

• Haha
Reactions: foshizzle

Stauf4Prez

Designated Survivor
Jan 22, 2017
Edmonton
Ceci was bigger but was never aggressive and slow. Stetcher is speedy and closes the gap better. He reads the play better. As a 3rd pairing RH shot, he'll be fine. Especially at less than a 3rd of the cost.
Ceci has cement for skates. He might be one of the slowest defencemen we have ever witnessed in the league lol.

Reactions: Vagabond

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Ceci has cement for skates. He might be one of the slowest defencemen we have ever witnessed in the league lol.
This is something one can check. In 2021-22 his to speed was 22.70mph compared to a league average of 21.51mph for defensemen. In 2022-23 it was 22.23 mph compared with an average of 21.52. In 2023-24 it was 22.56 compared with an average of 21.67.

stewy04

Jun 19, 2016
Exactly.

The Oilers finished first in the NHL last year with 59.17 xGF% 5v5. We also had the highest xGFs 5v5 with 217.14, almost 30 higher than the next team. We only had 194 actual goals for which is less than a team like Toronto or Colorado. We don't bury enough of our chances.

Foegele specifically had 26.2 xGF but only had 20 actual goals.

Connor Brown not being healthy basically cost us 7 goals with a 11.2 xGF but only had 4 actual goals.

McLeod was kinda close with 13.2 xGF with 12 actual goals.

Evander Kane not being healthy basically cost us 8 goals with 31.4 xGF and 24 actual goals.

Adding Skinner/Arvidsson over Foegele/McLeod and having healthy guys in the lineup could result in an additional 22 goals. Henrique is also a good finisher and will be here the entire year.
I think it'll be more then 22 more goals between those 3 added!

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
I suppose Justin Schultz on a PTO isn't the worst idea, considering the circumstances the Oilers are in.

I am not sure what kind of trade they can complete before training camp. Fabbro's name keeps popping up, true, but what would be the asking price?

Reactions: McDoused

Stauf4Prez

Designated Survivor
Jan 22, 2017
Edmonton
This is something one can check. In 2021-22 his to speed was 22.70mph compared to a league average of 21.51mph for defensemen. In 2022-23 it was 22.23 mph compared with an average of 21.52. In 2023-24 it was 22.56 compared with an average of 21.67.
Okay, now do the eye test, where he was literally beat to nearly every puck in the playoffs when having to retreat into his own zone. His first few strides were always slower than everyone else's, making top speed irrelevant in a foot race.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Okay, now do the eye test, where he was literally beat to nearly every puck in the playoffs when having to retreat into his own zone. His first few strides were always slower than everyone else's, making top speed irrelevant in a foot race.
He's not "fast" but far from one of the slowest skaters ever. As a skater he is probably around league average.

I think you are using the word "literally" rather inappropriately here.

Reactions: McDoused

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
To my eye, Ceci was not a fast D man. And in my opinion this metric is beyond misleading for 2 very important reasons:
1) Who cares how fast his top speed is., if it takes a guy (in relative terms) forever to get to it
2) How quickly a guy recognizes "shit, I have to get that puck or on that guy" is massive. It can make an average skater look fast (Gretzky) or a fast skater look slow.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan

Yeah Stecher as the 3rd pairing right side guy will be fine. Is he a world beater? No, but he is more than passable I think. The problem is that right now he won't be the 3rd pairing guy, he is likely to be the 2nd pairing guy, as I doubt they want Emberson to be playing 2nd pairing minutes.

Reactions: Vagabond

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Not sure if its been posted but I keep seeing that the Oilers are going to be so much slower this year but its overblown.

I too think it's overblown.

McLeod, Foegele and Holloway out. Skinner, Arvidsson and Podkolzin in.
A bit slower since McLeod and Holloway in particular were burners but the three new guys can get around just fine. Definitely got older though and the bottom 6 definitely need an injection of speed, the top 6 is just fine speedwise.

Ceci and Desharnais out. Emberson and Stecher in
That's a speed upgrade and they got younger.

I think it's pretty much a saw-off when you balance out the loss in speed up front to the gains on defense

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
Is there anything more to this 'Oilers are exploring adding a defenseman via trade' than pure speculation? Seems like writers begging for clicks.

Reactions: Yuke

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
To my eye, Ceci was not a fast D man. And in my opinion this metric is beyond misleading for 2 very important reasons:
1) Who cares how fast his top speed is., if it takes a guy (in relative terms) forever to get to it
2) How quickly a guy recognizes "shit, I have to get that puck or on that guy" is massive. It can make an average skater look fast (Gretzky) or a fast skater look slow.
I don't disagree. The point was only in reference to his skating ability. He's pretty average overall.

As an aside Gretzky was actually a lot faster than his rep and was overall a great skater.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I too think it's overblown.

McLeod, Foegele and Holloway out. Skinner, Arvidsson and Podkolzin in.
A bit slower since McLeod and Holloway in particular were burners but the three new guys can get around just fine. Definitely got older though and the bottom 6 definitely need an injection of speed, the top 6 is just fine speedwise.

Ceci and Desharnais out. Emberson and Stecher in
That's a speed upgrade and they got younger.

I think it's pretty much a saw-off when you balance out the loss in speed up front to the gains on defense
When savoie makes it he’ll add lots of speed too

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Oh no the Oilers lost speed from three guys who put up 4th line scoring when not playing with Leon Draisaitl. The horror!

As you said it's way overblown. Yeah we'll miss some of that speed on the back check, but well positionally sound players don't need that speed on the back check to be effective defensive players.
We replaced 2 of the 3 with much better players and there's potential that Podkolzin will be better then Holloway now that Holloway will be playing with less skilled players.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
You heard it here first, Draisaitl is signing tomorrow.

Tomorrow is August 29th.

Draisaitl wears #29.

It's an educated wish.

Ceci isn't a slow skater, he's just a slow decision maker.

He actually ranked 3rd fastest among our dmen last season. He's a surprisingly fast skater but is constantly making bad pinches, decisions, passes & plays. So hes always chasing the play and the guys behind him.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Is there anything more to this 'Oilers are exploring adding a defenseman via trade' than pure speculation? Seems like writers begging for clicks.
Wasn't it Seravalli that reported it? He's certainly not a clickbait writer.
However, it doesn't seem plausible to me unless they're sending out salary or trading for a sub $1m Dman.
If they trade for Fabbro, for instance, they have to send out at least $1.5m in salary to make it work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad