Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Broberg, Holloway and Ceci are Gone, Do We Add Another D Before Camp?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Based on what? He had good analytics last year playing top 4 on a bad Arizona team. They were far superior than Ceci and we managed to get to the finals with him

No he is not
based on the fact he's small, isn't a puck-mover, doesn't provide offense and can't bully players physically, plus injured often as an added bonus

there's a reason he signed for league min

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
This is what has me excited about the acquisition.

The Oilers had finishing problems last year, and much of that was due to a preference for our scoring players to score from distance and off passing plays vs grime around the net. Hyman is really our only player that scored goals primarily from around the crease, but now we have another to take out the trash.

Agreed on Hyman obviously. The only other player who I see score regularly infront of the net is Henrique which is why I like his game.

Reactions: K1984 and Oilhawks

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Here's a random name (so I can look like a genius if a trade randomly happens :D): Joey Keane.

25 year old rightie owned by Carolina. He had some solid AHL seasons while blocked by Carolina's D and then went to the KHL for some reason where he had a couple good years.

He made the AHL All-Rookie Team and All-Star team with Knoblauch in Hartford and played his first junior hockey in Dubuque after now Oiler, Kalle Larsson, brought him in.

Maybe toss a Conditional 7th rounder or something for him, sign him to a league minimum deal and see if he can play.

He's an unrestricted free agent (Group 6 to be specific)

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Mostly this is true but not completely. At the deadline a $150K difference becomes over $500K. That could be significant.

I don't think it matters does it? As long as he was brought it at the same price as an existing player on the roster, and that existing player is sent to the minors. Wouldn't our cap space be the same? Maybe I'm missing something though.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I don't think it matters does it? As long as he was brought it at the same price as an existing player on the roster, and that existing player is sent to the minors. Wouldn't our cap space be the same? Maybe I'm missing something though.
Correct. But right now it could be that he is brought in at say $.875M to replace a guy like Brown who is at $1M. That is different than if he was at $1M replacing a guy with a $1M salary.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
stecher is a fire sale in his own zone, watch him in the playoffs before the oilers got him, hes a fine back up 7 d man but to play him like a top 6 is a disaster waiting to happen
I've seen very very little of Stetcher. Maybe just his games as an Oiler is all I can remember. But yeh that was my general impression of him. Lots of chaos in his game and he looks like he's struggling to keep up. When the game looks difficult for a player I'm not a fan. I really don't know why there's so much confidence in him though, seems alot thinks he can step into a Top4D role on a playoff team. I'm encouraged by that confidence, maybe there's something to it, maybe he really good as a Flame or Canuck in the past or something, but personally I just don't see it.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
This is what has me excited about the acquisition.

The Oilers had finishing problems last year, and much of that was due to a preference for our scoring players to score from distance and off passing plays vs grime around the net. Hyman is really our only player that scored goals primarily from around the crease, but now we have another to take out the trash.

Exactly.

The Oilers finished first in the NHL last year with 59.17 xGF% 5v5. We also had the highest xGFs 5v5 with 217.14, almost 30 higher than the next team. We only had 194 actual goals for which is less than a team like Toronto or Colorado. We don't bury enough of our chances.

Foegele specifically had 26.2 xGF but only had 20 actual goals.

Connor Brown not being healthy basically cost us 7 goals with a 11.2 xGF but only had 4 actual goals.

McLeod was kinda close with 13.2 xGF with 12 actual goals.

Evander Kane not being healthy basically cost us 8 goals with 31.4 xGF and 24 actual goals.

Adding Skinner/Arvidsson over Foegele/McLeod and having healthy guys in the lineup could result in an additional 22 goals. Henrique is also a good finisher and will be here the entire year.

Last edited:

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
NMC though. He'd have to be convinced to leave.
I don’t think he’s enjoyed the last couple seasons. He knows what we’re saying, he knows the contract is brutal and it can’t be easy to turn things around if those things distract you.

But yeah I’d probably want the dossier on Mrs Nurse lol… which cities does she travel to the most? Then line up a trade with one of those cities and see what Darnell says.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
Is this guy quietly going to put up 40 goals for only 3M?

It wouldn’t shock me at all. Career high 82 point season two years ago, although that was by far his most productive season for points. So weird, he scored 63 points as a rookie (at like 18 years old) and also had 3 more 63 point seasons, never surpassing that total until two years ago when he was 30..

He’s playing with Connor and Hyman though, a ridiculous duo and Skinner has the wheels to keep up and the shot to cash in on McJesus miracle passes. Wouldn’t shock me if he scored 40 goals and 90-100 points if he stays healthy on that line.

But life is hilarious sometimes, maybe he scores 63 points yet again.

And Kane if he's healthy.
Perry is one of the best at scoring around the net too. He just obviously can’t move around like he used to, but he can still get greasy goals

Reactions: McDoused and Duke74

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I don’t think he’s enjoyed the last couple seasons. He knows what we’re saying, he knows the contract is brutal and it can’t be easy to turn things around if those things distract you.

But yeah I’d probably want the dossier on Mrs Nurse lol… which cities does she travel to the most? Then line up a trade with one of those cities and see what Darnell says.
It's up to him to try to be better or the situation here will only get worse.

Reactions: Lay Z Boy GM

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Reactions: Tobias Kahun

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I’m betting fears of our perceived substantial defensive downgrading will prove to be overblown. I think this is a team that’s going to have the puck a lot of the time, they’re going to score at a high rate and since Knob has taken over they’ve shown a consistent ability to defend well as a team which can go a long way in minimizing individual positional deficiencies. Finally it’s important to remember that the roster we start with isn’t the roster we’re likely to finish with. Management has positioned themselves to be able to make sizeable additions at the deadline or before.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Not sure if its been posted but I keep seeing that the Oilers are going to be so much slower this year but its overblown.

I don’t see speed so much of as an issue for the first 3 lines.

But if both Ryan and Perry play, I can see it on that line. But its the fourth line so not the end of the world. I’d still like a different 4C though but maybe Jarventie, Philp, Pederson etc impresses.

I just hope the roster hasn’t been set before training camp even starts.

Last edited:

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Random prediction of the day:

Evander Kane for Connor Murphy

I'm not convinced Murphy would be any better than Ceci and I'm not a Ceci fan.

I don’t see speed so much of as an issue for the first 3 lines.

But if both Ryan and Perry play, I can see it on that line. But its the fourth line so not the end of the world. I’d still like a different 4C though but maybe Jarventie, Philp, Pederson etc impresses.

I just hope the roster hasn’t been set before training camp even starts.

Absolutely. Ryan needs to retire and Perry should be the 13th forward.

I'd like to give Lavoie and Jarventie a shot.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Not sure if its been posted but I keep seeing that the Oilers are going to be so much slower this year but its overblown.

Oh no the Oilers lost speed from three guys who put up 4th line scoring when not playing with Leon Draisaitl. The horror!

As you said it's way overblown. Yeah we'll miss some of that speed on the back check, but well positionally sound players don't need that speed on the back check to be effective defensive players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad