Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Broberg, Holloway and Ceci are Gone, Do We Add Another D Before Camp?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
If DeAngelo is available and would do the same 1.6 mil we can fit him in. Yes he is feisty but we like those guys. If he has his act together then we have a solid D corps. WE can spend up to 1.9 on him and be cap compliant. Brown goes down.

Eks Bouch
Nurse DeAngelo
Kulak Emb

Stecher
anything over league minimum for Tony D is an overpayment, and he would need to have a leash so short he's physically grafted to Knoblauch's leg.

Reactions: TheGingaNinja

powerserge

Oct 12, 2022
anything over league minimum for Tony D is an overpayment, and he would need to have a leash so short he's physically grafted to Knoblauch's leg.
As long as he makes enough to be buriable and has his act together he would be the best available D left without a trade. Just saying what we have to spend (up to 1.9 if Brown goes down), if he makes 1.15 and does not work out then it's no risk. Question is, is he an upgrade on Stecher/Emb/Brown.

Do I want to give up Wanner and picks for Fabbro? Not really, Fabbro played 3rd pair last year, you get him this year then he is UFA, we can't fit 2.5 mil on our roster unless we go with a short roster. Think Fabbro is better on the D side than DeAngelo, DeAngelo better on the O side. Kind of a wash to me. Have not dug deep into the stats. Both can play top 4.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
I don't understand Nashville being the trade target, though. They spent like drunken sailors in free agency and have positioned themselves to make a huge splash at the deadline with three firsts in their pocket. They don't seem like a group that would deal a top 4 defenceman for picks and prospects.
Depends. If they know he's not who they want on their playoff roster, and they feel this is the best return, it's more picks for them to try and outbid us at the deadline for someone else.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Nurses D partner in junior was Deangelo
Yup, I know the player history. But that's a decade ago. Hard to say how both have evolved as people from teenagers into late 20's adults. No certainty that their games would match either a decade later.

Lots of noise with this player with perceived character and gaps in his game who I know nothing about. Just was helpful for me as an outsider to view the interview. He's not a player I had imagined being a prospective fit. Still don't know. The organization will do the deep dive on all fronts if they remotely think he can help on the cheap.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I don't understand Nashville being the trade target, though. They spent like drunken sailors in free agency and have positioned themselves to make a huge splash at the deadline with three firsts in their pocket. They don't seem like a group that would deal a top 4 defenceman for picks and prospects.
Most people have Josi still playing on the right side, which would make Fabbro a spare part if they see Carrier as their future 2RD. They like Schenn on the bottom pair. So there is logic there if Fabbro is about to be an expensive spare part whose value will only go down.

Then the question is about whether Josi really is on the right side now or if Nashville wants him back on the left. It might depend on their opinion of Lauzon and Statsney in comparison to Fabbro.

It's not that crazy that they'd trade Fabbro. We traded Ceci and I'd think Ceci is less of a spare part than Fabbro

Reactions: Stud Muffin

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I think the issue with DeAngelo might now be more that he just isn't very good. He has had a hard time getting icetime on a few teams, and while I admit I haven't watched him a ton in the last couple of years, his reputation is that of an offense first kind of player. I'm not sure if that's the type of player we need - but he still might be the best available option.
Fully agree. If his defensive zone play (and lack of size) aren't offset by elite point production, then this is a risk especially with Nurse who plays big minutes but can break down with costly impulsive decisions at key moments in games.

Too much information missing for me to gage his compatibility and stylist fit on a Cup window team. Knoblauch's time in the Rangers system would have overlapped somewhat with a young D'Angelo so there would be one slightly qualified read/reference point.

Reactions: ManofSteel55

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Most people have Josi still playing on the right side, which would make Fabbro a spare part if they see Carrier as their future 2RD. They like Schenn on the bottom pair. So there is logic there if Fabbro is about to be an expensive spare part whose value will only go down.

Then the question is about whether Josi really is on the right side now or if Nashville wants him back on the left. It might depend on their opinion of Lauzon and Statsney in comparison to Fabbro.

It's not that crazy that they'd trade Fabbro. We traded Ceci and I'd think Ceci is less of a spare part than Fabbro
Where is the Fabbro talk coming from, has there been something said about Edmonton and Nashville?

I’ve been hoping they would target Fabbro for awhile now as I think he would be a good fit and potentially a player that could really grow in a defined role here. But I think the time to trade for him passed as soon as Preds unloaded Glass, they’ve got enough space to get their rfa’s signed. On their blue line I think they’d prefer to keep Josi on the left as I’m pretty sure it was generally McDonough who played on the right on off side and I think Skjei is the same as at times Im pretty sure he played on his offside in Carolina. It looks to me like they might give Josi and Fabbro one last try and if he doesn’t impress they’ll look to shift either Josi or Skjei to the right side. At that point he could become available, probably depends on how some of their guys like Statsney and Del Gazio look at that point.

I’d love to see them trade for him though, he’d fit well in that 4 spot and RD are a commodity so having a some depth
there is always welcome but I don’t see anything materializing until some time into the season if it did happen.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Why do people think Fabbro is a top 4 D? He’s been healthy scratched there before. Luke Schenn took his job at one point. He’s just another bottom pair option.
Evander Kane got healthy scratched multiple times last year and people still talk about him like he's a lock for 30 goals and a beastly playoffs.

Reactions: McDoused

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Why do people think Fabbro is a top 4 D? He’s been healthy scratched there before. Luke Schenn took his job at one point. He’s just another bottom pair option.
He had a stretch of his career where he showed well playing with Roman Josi. Sounds like Ethan Bear.

It's hard to see why Nashville would deal him though. Or how we'd manage to fit his cap in.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Where is the Fabbro talk coming from, has there been something said about Edmonton and Nashville?

I’ve been hoping they would target Fabbro for awhile now as I think he would be a good fit and potentially a player that could really grow in a defined role here. But I think the time to trade for him passed as soon as Preds unloaded Glass, they’ve got enough space to get their rfa’s signed. On their blue line I think they’d prefer to keep Josi on the left as I’m pretty sure it was generally McDonough who played on the right on off side and I think Skjei is the same as at times Im pretty sure he played on his offside in Carolina. It looks to me like they might give Josi and Fabbro one last try and if he doesn’t impress they’ll look to shift either Josi or Skjei to the right side. At that point he could become available, probably depends on how some of their guys like Statsney and Del Gazio look at that point.

I’d love to see them trade for him though, he’d fit well in that 4 spot and RD are a commodity so having a some depth
there is always welcome but I don’t see anything materializing until some time into the season if it did happen.
I see it over the internet. What's interesting is that apparently Tomasino is also for sale, and this is outside of Oiler talkers saying this. If the Oilers feel he could become a 4c maybe that makes this really match the Oilers needs (assuming they feel Fabbro's skills are a good complement to Nurse and he can play as a 2nd pairing guy). Both are suspect though but maybe the Oilers feel like gambling.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
I see it over the internet. What's interesting is that apparently Tomasino is also for sale, and this is outside of Oiler talkers saying this. If the Oilers feel he could become a 4c maybe that makes this really match the Oilers needs (assuming they feel Fabbro's skills are a good complement to Nurse and he can play as a 2nd pairing guy). Both are suspect though but maybe the Oilers feel like gambling.
A Nashville reporter on the NHL Network last week said the Oilers and Predators had talks about Fabbro and Tomasino

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
Wondering if Phil Kesselring were still around, does he make this team?

It's too bad that we lose out on prospects like Marino and Kesselring. Our crystal ball just be linked to an alternate universe.

(Of course I know his name is Michael.)

Reactions: McTonyBrar

Stauf4Prez

Designated Survivor
Jan 22, 2017
Edmonton

It's too bad that we lose out on prospects like Marino and Kesselring. Our crystal ball just be linked to an alternate universe.

Well Marino didn't even want to be here, right?

Kesselring, who would have thought he would turn out to be mainstay in the big's, especially while he was with us? Bad luck imo.

Reactions: capazzo

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018

We've gotten some decent RHD prospects still. Paul Fischer, Max Wanner, Beau Akey. But... if we had Kesselring, our D core would be set.

Ekholm Bouchard
Nurse Kesselring
Kulak Emberson

I still hate that Bjugstad trade

Stauf4Prez

Designated Survivor
Jan 22, 2017
Edmonton
We've gotten some decent RHD prospects still. Paul Fischer, Max Wanner, Beau Akey. But... if we had Kesselring, our D core would be set.

Ekholm Bouchard
Nurse Kesselring
Kulak Emberson

I still hate that Bjugstad trade
Was Kesselring projecting to be where you've penciled him in within 2 years, though?

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Well Marino didn't even want to be here, right?

Kesselring, who would have thought he would turn out to be mainstay in the big's, especially while he was with us? Bad luck imo.
Kesselring was NHL ready. You should've seen him in the AHL that season. Kid was more than outstanding. We jumped the gun too quickly in trading him

Reactions: Louis Cypher
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad