Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Broberg, Holloway and Ceci are Gone, Do We Add Another D Before Camp?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Frank S said DeAngelo is willing to play for cheap in Edmonton.......For the past while they keep talking about him. I have not watched much of him TBH
If DeAngelo signs here, he's going to score 50 points again. And the defensive lapses probably won't matter. The only downside is Bouchard having to PK a bit more. But with the gigantic extension he's about to get, buddy better be willing to get in front of some shots.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Is he though? I remember Stetcher playing top 4 in both Vancouver and LA at times and he played 18 min a night when healthy in ARZ. Sounds pretty comparable to Ceci but he moves the puck better than Cody does
Stecher playing top 4 minutes on Vancouver proabaly speaks more to the quality of their defence than it does about the quality of the player.

I mean...remember when Darnell Nurse played top pairing minutes on this team?

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
Frank S said DeAngelo is willing to play for cheap in Edmonton.......For the past while they keep talking about him. I have not watched much of him TBH

Of course he’s willing to play here for cheap, no one wants him. He’s an offensively talented but defensively horrible defenceman who is a known locker room cancer. He doesn’t fill a need on the Oilers at all.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
If DeAngelo signs here, he's going to score 50 points again. And the defensive lapses probably won't matter. The only downside is Bouchard having to PK a bit more. But with the gigantic extension he's about to get, buddy better be willing to get in front of some shots.
That sounds like the perfect argument for why they should stay as far from Deangelo as possible haha.

He's going to need PP time to hit 50 points, so we're reducing Bouchard's PP minutes and increasing his chance of injury on the PK. Noooooo thank you.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
That sounds like the perfect argument for why they should stay as far from Deangelo as possible haha.

He's going to need PP time to hit 50 points, so we're reducing Bouchard's PP minutes and increasing his chance of injury on the PK. Noooooo thank you.
He'd be running PP2, which is going to have a lot more fire power this season from puck drop.

All of the Oilers' options are puck movers. If that's the case, you take the best one. Bouchard was going to PK more this season regardless of what happened. Ceci leaving ensured that.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Stecher playing top 4 minutes on Vancouver proabaly speaks more to the quality of their defence than it does about the quality of the player.

I think the better example would be Justin Schultz playing top pairing here.

Darnell did well when he was playing those minutes during those years.

Reactions: Kepler 186f

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

Stecher playing top four in Vancouver was like Ethan Bear thriving in those minutes here with Nurse. Nurse is a legitimate top pairing defenseman when he's on the top of his game.

For what it's worth, his results on the PK in Vancouver were high end.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
He'd be running PP2, which is going to have a lot more fire power this season from puck drop.

All of the Oilers' options are puck movers. If that's the case, you take the best one. Bouchard was going to PK more this season regardless of what happened. Ceci leaving ensured that.
He isn't hitting 50 points on the 2nd unit that plays 20 seconds of PP per game.

Huh? Emberson, Stecher and Brown are all PKers.

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
He isn't hitting 50 points on the 2nd unit that plays 20 seconds of PP per game.

When you have Henrique-Skinner-Arvidsson the second unit is gonna see way more time than they did this previous year. The two previous years before last season had him at like 27 and 30 evs points and he definitely wasn't playing with Mcdavid/Leon/Hyman/RNH/Skinner/Arvidsson type of players.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

You'll be lucky to see two of them in the lineup at one time this season unless Stecher is a sneaky #4 out of the gate.

Odds are the top PP doesn't get run into the ground. The regular season priority this year is trying to keep guys off the IR.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Deangelo isn’t going to get any PP time here and Ekholm-Bouchard already get all the McDrai time. He’s not putting up 50 points here.

FunkyChicken

Jul 24, 2003
Pass on DeAngelo, can't play a lick of defense.
Out of those mentioned for possible PTOs, Schultz is likely the least week defensively.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
I do see your point and DeAngelo may be redundant on this club …. but why not try to spread out the PP minutes a bit more this season? Give the second unit a bit more time. Save the legs of the guys on PP1. Seems reasonable to me.

Reactions: Oilhawks

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I do see your point and DeAngelo may be redundant on this club …. but why not try to spread out the PP minutes a bit more this season? Give the second unit a bit more time. Save the legs of the guys on PP1. Seems reasonable to me.
If you're using the #2PP more, that just means McDrai are going to be the first shift out there right after it, so you aren't really giving them a rest.

Anything that takes PP minutes away from that historic unit doesn't sound like a recipe for success to me. Especially if it's to cater to a guy who played himself out of the league last year.

Reactions: Davo Ikinzom

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
If you're using the #2PP more, that just means McDrai are going to be the first shift out there right after it, so you aren't really giving them a rest.

Anything that takes PP minutes away from that historic unit doesn't sound like a recipe for success to me. Especially if it's to cater to a guy who played himself out of the league last year.
We have the luxury now to still load up the best powerplay ever and then come back after the powerplay with skilled players like arvi skinner Henrique and Kane.

I think reducing the minutes of PP1 isn’t the play

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
thing that takes PP minutes away from that historic unit doesn't sound like a recipe for success to me. Especially if it's to cater to a guy who played himself out of the league last year.
Oh, please don’t misunderstand, I certainly wouldn’t be doing it to accommodate DeAngelo. I’m not even convinced that he’s a guy the team should be using a contract spot on. I was thinking more along the lines of giving some of the other weapons a chance and maybe throwing a different look at teams who are defending effectively against the first unit.

This coming season the Oilers have the forward depth to put together a pretty nice PP2. Of course, as you say, PP1 is historic. But even at that, there have been nights where it wasn’t going their way. Instead of leaving PP1 out there in those situations, why not have another good unit that can throw a different wrinkle at the opposition?

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Oh, please don’t misunderstand, I certainly wouldn’t be doing it to accommodate DeAngelo. I’m not even convinced that he’s a guy the team should be using a contract spot on. I was thinking more along the lines of giving some of the other weapons a chance and maybe throwing a different look at teams who are defending effectively against the first unit.

This coming season the Oilers have the forward depth to put together a pretty nice PP2. Of course, as you say, PP1 is historic. But even at that, there have been nights where it wasn’t going their way. Instead of leaving PP1 out there in those situations, why not have another good unit that can throw a different wrinkle at the opposition?
I don't know. To me, even when the 1st unit is off, it's still better than 99% of the PPs you could put out there.

Like @Tobias Kahun said, I think the luxury of guys like Skinner and Arvidsson is you actually have some dangerous players to put out there after the PP is over.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011

Remember when Ceci was playing top pairing minutes, that was just 18 months ago ......

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011

When the PP is as good as ours is, I think you have to play it. Its a weapon other teams can’t stop.

That being said, I do think the team has to find more opportunities to get more guys involved.

We have games where PP1 is being too cute and trying to pass the puck into the net. I hope we use PP2 more in situation. Also using PP2 more in games where we are up would be good.

I also hope that we see more lines out in empty net situations. A prime example would be Janmark-Henrique-Brown. They should excel in that situation. Getting some guys goals early in the season will help the team feel better in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad