Proposal: Rumors and Proposals Thread: "JJ" - Jokinen signed. Any further moves?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
I don't care who it is as long as they're here on the cheap.
I don't thibk jagr would play here for less than 2.5 plus bonuses.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Jokinen hasn't actually been a great shootout guy for quite awhile.

He is a more well rounded player now by all accounts.
From what I hear he manages the the puck very well...low event player defensively.
The anti Yak. :nod:

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Something like $1.3M on a 1 yr term for Jokinen?

I'd suspect that it'd be more than that. Maybe $1.5-$2 million for 1 year? Ideally we could get him for that price for 2 seasons and see how he fits with Puljujarvi on and off the ice.

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
Turtle have a reputation for being a smartass? Posting JJ knowing everyone would think jagr is a big tease. Jokinen is all good and fun and a fine depth signing, but Jagr has the potential to really take this team to the next level.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Jokinen is getting paid $1,333,333 for the next two seasons by Florida, he might not be asking for much on his next deal. Someone can check this but I think guys who get bought out typically sign cheap elsewhere since they are getting two paycheques. Pouliot went to Buffalo for only $1.15M this season.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Turtle have a reputation for being a smartass? Posting JJ knowing everyone would think jagr is a big tease. Jokinen is all good and fun and a fine depth signing, but Jagr has the potential to really take this team to the next level.

Jagr is probably wishful thinking because he has shown time and time again that $ is more important to him than chasing a cup. If not he would've signed with a contender for less to chase a cup.

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
Id pay Jagr a good amount for 1 year, or sign Jussi to a cheap two year deal if he was willing. Seems like a great mentor and communicator for Puljujarvi. That's probably the angle management is taking. By all accounts he has great hockey sense and is an intelligent player. Would really help Pulj and his english in practice and help the coaches with communication.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Jokinen is getting paid $1,333,333 for the next two seasons by Florida, he might not be asking for much on his next deal. Someone can check this but I think guys who get bought out typically sign cheap elsewhere since they are getting two paycheques. Pouliot went to Buffalo for only $1.15M this season.

True, but he is also older than Pouliot and may have less paydays remaining. If we can land him on the cheap even better yet. It shows that Chia is still conducting business in spite of the Draisaitl contract situation.

AK Dandyman

Sep 12, 2008
I'd suspect that it'd be more than that. Maybe $1.5-$2 million for 1 year? Ideally we could get him for that price for 2 seasons and see how he fits with Puljujarvi on and off the ice.

$1.75M to $2M was my original guess too. Maybe Jokinen will give a discount for the chance to win a Cup late in his career as he hasn't won it before?

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Jagr is probably wishful thinking because he has shown time and time again that $ is more important to him than chasing a cup. If not he would've signed with a contender for less to chase a cup.

I also think at this point in his career an Eastern team makes a lot more sense just in terms of the travel.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Mark Spector tweeted out before free agency that he didn't think Jagr would come to Edmonton due to the travel and winter. Montreal just signed Hemsky; he should go there and finally play on a line together.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
$1.75M to $2M was my original guess too. Maybe Jokinen will give a discount for the chance to win a Cup late in his career as he hasn't won it before?

Maybe. If we can add a few guys like this a year on the cheap we will be in good shape.

I also think at this point in his career an Eastern team makes a lot more sense just in terms of the travel.

Has he ever played on a team in the WC?

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Mark Spector tweeted out before free agency that he didn't think Jagr would come to Edmonton due to the travel and winter. Montreal just signed Hemsky; he should go there and finally play on a line together.

If he literally has no other offers he could come here. He did play in the KHL after all and I'd imagine that the winters there weren't as good as they've been in Florida the last 2 years that he's been there!

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Maybe. If we can add a few guys like this a year on the cheap we will be in good shape.

Has he ever played on a team in the WC?

Dallas is the only team that comes to mind.

Edit: Looks like that was already covered.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
It's funny, the Oilers were close to signing Jagr in 2008 but it fell through because they didn't want to give him more than a one-year contract iirc. And here we are nine years later and he's still playing.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
He is a more well rounded player now by all accounts.
From what I hear he manages the the puck very well...low event player defensively.
The anti Yak. :nod:

Shootouts are a small part of the game. Jokinen brings plenty of small things to the table. Assuming the money/term is right he'll be a good add for sure.

AK Dandyman

Sep 12, 2008
It's funny, the Oilers were close to signing Jagr in 2008 but it fell through because they didn't want to give him more than a one-year contract iirc. And here we are nine years later and he's still playing.

Just amazing that he's still playing.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo

Jagr also hasn't shown to be very effective in the playoffs for some time. Maybe that's him turning off or down the intensity, or maybe it's just age and he's out of gas by that state. Either way, that limits his value to us for where we truly want to win: in the playoffs. Jokinen is over 10 years younger, and he's scored decently in the playoffs pretty recently: 4 points in 6 games two years ago (at age 32) and 10 points -- including 7 goals -- in 13 playoff games just four years ago (when he was 30). The way he plays, the difference between him now and at 30 shouldn't be much different, as he's been healthy during that time. He also just scored 60 points the year before last in the regular season, which has been close to Jagr point production highs the past 6 years, even when Jagr plays a full season. So I think Jokinen can bring more when it matters, and can likely put up just about as many points as Jagr would've if given the chance on a scoring line. But the beauty thing about him is that he brings value in many different places, including as a 3rd line center and be effective on PK, things that Jagr can not do. I think Jokinen is the better fit, and has more left in the tank to help us make a run over the next few years. I'll guess it's a 2.5-3 x 3 deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad