Proposal: Rumors and Proposals Thread: "JJ" - Jokinen signed. Any further moves?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Only a 1 year deal makes sense right now unless they are planning on moving Nuge out

Risingwind

Feb 26, 2015
Only a 1 year deal makes sense right now unless they are planning on moving Nuge out

Is Maroon going to be extended? And if so, what kind of contract could even fit in at that point? Jokinen might be an option to try and patch some of the holes that need to be worked around if Maroon can't be resigned. If Jokinen gets a single year, maybe PC will make them compete for a single roster spot next summer. A lot of the future moves depend on what kind of a contract Draisaitl gets.

In most of the scenarios, moving Nuge for cap space seems like the obvious choice.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Is Maroon going to be extended? And if so, what kind of contract could even fit in at that point? Jokinen might be an option to try and patch some of the holes that need to be worked around if Maroon can't be resigned. If Jokinen gets a single year, maybe PC will make them compete for a single roster spot next summer. A lot of the future moves depend on what kind of a contract Draisaitl gets.

In most of the scenarios, moving Nuge for cap space seems like the obvious choice.

I have a feeling they're cutting ties with Maroon after this season , I'm sure Chia talked to his agents about a extension to get a feel where Maroon ia at and Maroon will explore UFa

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
the more i think about it the less I actually want jagr.

to be honest, if the oilers want to sign some really old guy, I'd prefer iginla.
If you manage his playing time properly in the regular season, I think he could give you a beast of a playoffs.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
I have a feeling they're cutting ties with Maroon after this season , I'm sure Chia talked to his agents about a extension to get a feel where Maroon ia at and Maroon will explore UFa

That was my feeling initially. But stauffer was hinting that a handful of the depth AHL guys are represented by the same agent as Maroon and Letestu. Apparently Chiarelli has a good relationship with that agent.

Maybe there's a chance that Maroon is grateful for getting a career here, and knows that if he signs a big contract anywhere else that he will be hated by the fans and bought out. He wont be a 27 goal scorer playing with any other player unless its Crosby.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
the more i think about it the less I actually want jagr.

to be honest, if the oilers want to sign some really old guy, I'd prefer iginla.
If you manage his playing time properly in the regular season, I think he could give you a beast of a playoffs.

Iginla is a guy that I'd invite to camp in the fall if he's unsigned. Let him and Pulju battle for a spot.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Turtle have a reputation for being a smartass? Posting JJ knowing everyone would think jagr is a big tease. Jokinen is all good and fun and a fine depth signing, but Jagr has the potential to really take this team to the next level.

I love it. He lets us know that something is coming, and gets us talking.

The more I think of it, the more it makes sense that Speedy is Stauffer.

Stauffer is often cryptic in the same way when dropping hints on his show.

And, what if he knows the signing isn't coming until later today, say, after Oilers Now? I'm sure the amount of listeners from HFOil will be much higher today than usual.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I'm a huge fan of Nuge...however this summer might be the best time to move him. You have teams like the Preds, Habs and Jackets looking for top-6, specifically top-6 centers, so the Oilers might be able to get good value on a deal.

My thoughts for deals to the various teams listed.

To NSH: Ellis/Ekholm or Sissons & Aberg

To MTL: Gallagher & Plekanec ($2M Retained)

To CLB: Jenner & Johnson

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005

It'll be really interesting with Maroon next summer.

He seems to really enjoy playing here, the fans love him, he knows he has a great thing with McDavid and Draisaitl.

However, it must be really tough to be away from his son in St. Louis for 8-9 months a year. I think he'll probably end up in the midwest for that reason alone.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara

He seems to really enjoy playing here, the fans love him, he knows he has a great thing with McDavid and Draisaitl.

However, it must be really tough to be away from his son in St. Louis for 8-9 months a year. I think he'll probably end up in the midwest for that reason alone.

My gut feeling is that this is his final season here. Which I'm okay with. I'm worried about his long term consistency

Bangers

May 31, 2006
I'm a huge fan of Nuge...however this summer might be the best time to move him. You have teams like the Preds, Habs and Jackets looking for top-6, specifically top-6 centers, so the Oilers might be able to get good value on a deal.

My thoughts for deals to the various teams listed.

To NSH: Ellis/Ekholm or Sissons & Aberg

To MTL: Gallagher & Plekanec ($2M Retained)

To CLB: Jenner & Johnson

I like the Nashville and Columbus deals.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Mark Spector tweeted out before free agency that he didn't think Jagr would come to Edmonton due to the travel and winter. Montreal just signed Hemsky; he should go there and finally play on a line together.

That's weird considering that Florida has a rough travel schedule being the southernmost market in the NHL and having 3 Canadian teams in their division.
The winter in Montreal isn't much better than the one in Edmonton either so I can't imagine that will be too attractive to him. He'll probably sign in the states somewhere.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

My gut feeling is that this is his final season here. Which I'm okay with. I'm worried about his long term consistency

The really wild card for me is the off-ice relationship the McDavids and Maroons have. They seem to be spending time together from what I've seen on social media this off-season.

With that being said Maroon is one of those guys that if he puts up 20g 20a this year he'll probably be looking for a 5x5 deal and I don't know that I'd be comfortable giving a guy that will be 30 a 5 year term. Especially one that has had past conditioning issues. Now if it were 5 years at 3mil that's a different story, but I doubt he signs that.

I guess they could go stupid and give him 6 years at a lower cap that is front loaded?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
That's weird considering that Florida has a rough travel schedule being the southernmost market in the NHL and having 3 Canadian teams in their division.
The winter in Montreal isn't much better than the one in Edmonton either so I can't imagine that will be too attractive to him. He'll probably sign in the states somewhere.

Jagr could probably live with one, but both issues at his age probably is a no go.

The whole Eberle interview by Gregor and Struds brought up how nice the travel is. I wonder if Jagr tries to go to one of those cities where road games are done by a bus and you are back in your bed that night.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
I definitely prefer Jokinen over Jagr. The only thing Jagr brings at this point is his legacy, Jokinen meets our needs much better.

Assuming we do sign him, where does that put us in regards to contracts?

McCombo

Nov 16, 2013
-vet
-pk
-2way
-versatile
-FO's
-speed
-Finnish for JP

If he comes cheap, a perfect depth signing
Definetely a good pickup, but he isn't fast skater. Buy-ing out Pouliot and bringing in Jokinen is a smart move ! Pouliot has better tools, but no toolbox and is not smart player by any means. Jokinen has not got as good tools as Pouliot, but has toolbox and is extremely smart player.

Many of as wanted Filppula in TDL. Jokinen is pretty much a winger version of him. And could be our "Marleau" acquisition, brings to the table almost as much, but cost a lot less.

Last 3 seasons
Marleau: 246 games 71+80=151 points 0.61 PPG
Jokinen: 231 games 37+95=132 points 0.57 PPG

I am guessing 2x2.5mil (he gets 1.33 mil from FLO two more years)

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010

Yeah I think Maroon knows he has a good thing here and while he is going to want a big raise, I do think he would take less to stay and isn't so stupid to not realize McDavid had a huge hand in his present success, but if St. Louis or a team in the near vicinity offers him a contract that is close in $$$ I think he is as good as gone. St. Louis really misses what Backes provided to their team and I do think they are on the hunt for a big man to put in their top 6.

My gut says right now Maroon's agent is probably asking for $5M AAV to extend him and I'm guessing Chia would prefer the $3.25-$3.5M range, knowing Chia's penchant for big men I'm guessing he will bend to as high as $4.25M, but might want to wait till Christmas to start negotiating an extension in earnest, to make sure Maroon can keep scoring at a high pace since he doesn't have a lot of history of being a prolific scorer.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
Yeah, I was trying not to "expect" too much, What would you add to the Habs deal? I really like Gallagher and I think the Oilers would have to take Plekanec for it to work.

I just don't see a fit with them. I have a feeling that when Gallagher's play starts to decline, it's going to drop off a cliff. Even with 50% retention, I don't touch Plekanec.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I just don't see a fit with them. I have a feeling that when Gallagher's play starts to decline, it's going to drop off a cliff. Even with 50% retention, I don't touch Plekanec.

Fair enough, truth be told, I do see them as the worse fit of the 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad