Proposal: Rumors and Proposals Thread: "JJ" - Jokinen signed. Any further moves?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I definitely prefer Jokinen over Jagr. The only thing Jagr brings at this point is his legacy, Jokinen meets our needs much better.

Assuming we do sign him, where does that put us in regards to contracts?

Jagr would've been 5th on our team in points last year, so I don't know why people continue to say he has nothing to bring. I will agree that he's the type of player that teams aren't trying to go after considering his speed. But somehow even though he's slow he somehow can still produce.

The one thing I do feel that really meets are needs more would probably be Jokinen's ask for dollars. I feel on a one year deal you could get him for cheaper as there is still time for him to get a multi-year deal if he had a good season. Jagr I feel certain teams will have to give him 4 or 5mil.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
While there are quite a few valid points in here about why Jussi would be a better fit than Jagr, ....

I want to see Jagr in an Oilers jersey.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
While there are quite a few valid points in here about why Jussi would be a better fit than Jagr, ....

I want to see Jagr in an Oilers jersey.

I did in 2009 or whenever he wanted to play with hemsky, but not so much now.

He still has something to offer, but I don't think he's the best fit for Edmonton.

Jussi please. he is so versatile and would really help the oilers in so many areas.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
It'll be really interesting with Maroon next summer.

He seems to really enjoy playing here, the fans love him, he knows he has a great thing with McDavid and Draisaitl.

However, it must be really tough to be away from his son in St. Louis for 8-9 months a year. I think he'll probably end up in the midwest for that reason alone.
Also a player hitting 30 that was a later starter in the NHL is looking for the bigger dollars and if he puts up another 20+ goal campaign he will have priced himself out of here.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I've been thinking about this and I like Jokinen addition even more.

Jagr would be a great mentor for Drai, but Jokinen would be a great mentor for Pulju. Which one could benefit from mentoring more at this point? I'd say Pulju.
If Jokinen helps Pulju to reach his elite/franchise level potential it would be huge for the team.
Jokinen is very versatile and vet your coach will trust, he will throw him to play the final minutes or kill important penalties. He had a down year but he was playing through lower body injury.

Like someone posted Jagr has done nothing but basically hurt the team in the recent playoffs he has played, his minutes need sheltering if you want an effective Jagr.
He takes lots of Pouliot type of penalties that frustrate you, and his hands/shot has been declining.

Now he has his moments where he's great at still protecting the puck and could be a great mentor for Drai, but which one brings more to the table? I'll again say Jokinen and I bet he's cheaper.
But I do understand the name Jagr has, he's Jagr.

Jokinen- RNH- Pulju is not a bad looking 3rd line.

I'd be shocked Jagr signs with us. Traveling, his lifestyle(warmer weather and big city) and the salary he wants.

For us, he might not be a great fit. We need speed/quickness, faceoff and penalty killing up front which isn't today's Jagr. Jokinen is a better fit for our needs.

And Jagr would want more money than Jokinen, probably looking for something like $2.5M - $3.5M? That might not work for our cap as it would put us too close to the limit leaving us with less flexibility.

Jagr made 5.5M last year and Tallon said he can't afford him a week ago.

Last edited:

The Safe Play

Jul 8, 2011
If I had to wager I would guess it is Jokinen. Pipe dream of both would be amazing.

Maroon McDavid Strome
Lucic Drai Jagr
Jokinen RNH Puljujarvi
Cagguila Letestu Kassian/Slepyshev
Slepyshev

That forward core is insanely deep. I don't see them wanting to sit Cagguila/Slepyshev/Kassian and if they get Jokinen it feels like it would be a mentor for Puljujarvi.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
I'm a huge fan of Nuge...however this summer might be the best time to move him. You have teams like the Preds, Habs and Jackets looking for top-6, specifically top-6 centers, so the Oilers might be able to get good value on a deal.

My thoughts for deals to the various teams listed.

To NSH: Ellis/Ekholm or Sissons & Aberg

To MTL: Gallagher & Plekanec ($2M Retained)

To CLB: Jenner & Johnson

I think I just read that Nash wouldn't trade Ekholm for Duchene, I don't think he's available at all.

oilers89

Jun 4, 2008
Medicine Hat
Im gunna get greedy here. But the ideal would be sign one of jokinen or jagr and then trade for james neal.

Maroon mcdavid neal
Luci drai rnh
Cag strome jagr/jokinen
Slep letestu kass

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I have heard that too, I'm not suggesting its a lock, but adding Emelin might make things more interesting.

They added Emelin so they can play their 3rd pair a bit more.
They can't replace any of their top4's, their prospects aren't ready.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Calgary desperately gets on phone with Jokinen's agent come play in the flydome instead.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
I have heard that too, I'm not suggesting its a lock, but adding Emelin might make things more interesting.

I do think you're right about Nuge, If Drai is going to become a full time C and Chia has said a couple times that they see Strome as a C, then Nuge is out the door at some point.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Im gunna get greedy here. But the ideal would be sign one of jokinen or jagr and then trade for james neal.

Maroon mcdavid neal
Luci drai rnh
Cag strome jagr/jokinen
Slep letestu kass

No need to get greedy right now. We can add someone like Neal at the trade deadline.

Time to see if Khaira, Pakarinen or Puljujarvi are ready for the big show.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
They added Emelin so they can play their 3rd pair a bit more.
They can't replace any of their top4's, their prospects aren't ready.

I don't disagree, but the price is the price (for Duchene anyways, I'm sure the Oilers are asking for something similar)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad