Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread: Hallsy Take 2?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
replacing veteran players that can and have played full seasons with rookies is how our forward depth got destroyed.

What rookies? Granlund? Chiasson? Gagner? Khaira? Archibald?

I'm seeing a lot more terrible veteran players who are getting a free pass from the organization because of their veteran status than I am seeing rookies.

McJesusSaves97

I see the light
May 17, 2015
Cowtown: Behind Enemy Lines
7-2-1 and people are panicking? Mcdavid and Draisaitl will still get 100 points, RNH will still get 50+ points, our bottom six scoring will start happening eventually. The one thing that will make or break the playoffs for us is if the goaltending holds up and so far thru 10 games they’ve been great. 3 losses this season and you can’t blame the goalies for none of them but you can credit some of our wins on our goalies outstanding play.
All of this...and we could still end up with a top ten pick. It can happen *cough*

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Brandon Manning is an NHL player by contract and reputation only, Jones and Lagesson can improve on him without question.

Yes Bear's play doesn't make Larsson expendable, but it also doesn't make Manning better then what he is, a minor league part-timer. They should really trade him for Pysyk soon.
Right now his performance is showing why he's here over the prospects in question. Perhaps that eventually makes him a tradeable option because prior to this call-up I can assure you the market for him was non-existent.

You're not doing yourself any favors by throwing prospects in over their heads for the sake of doing so.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Sabres are looking at moving Marco Scandella, maybe this is a chance to upgrade, get him for Manning and Pick, maybe get the Sabres to retain a bit. Then you get a upgrade and they open up that spot on their defense.

ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Oct 26, 2017
Edmonton
AxcZTml.png

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Sabres are looking at moving Marco Scandella, maybe this is a chance to upgrade, get him for Manning and Pick, maybe get the Sabres to retain a bit. Then you get a upgrade and they open up that spot on their defense.
If we’re making a move I want a forward. He’s not an upgrade on our starting 6 or even 7 when healthy.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005

I'm seeing a lot more terrible veteran players who are getting a free pass from the organization because of their veteran status than I am seeing rookies.
i was referring to the time we traded Eberle and were planning to replace hsi production with JP and Yamamoto.....you cant get rid of vets for a rookies 10 game showing.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
i was referring to the time we traded Eberle and were planning to replace hsi production with JP and Yamamoto.....you cant get rid of vets for a rookies 10 game showing.

There's a big difference between trading one of the team's top scorers and a bottom pairing defenseman.

I could see your point if we were talking about moving Nurse or Klefbom to get those guys in the lineup.

Reactions: CornKicker

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

for me we are buying time till we shed money in the off season

up front the top two contracts coming off are Gangner and Grandland for a total of 4.45 mill on the back end it is Manning and Benning at 4.125

wild cards are Nurse and Kassians contracts and how much they will cost

second wild cards will be how to structure our D
Klefbom 4.167
Larsson 4.15
Russel 4.00
Nurse 5 to 6?

can we afford all 4 or do we move one out and bring in a number 4 guys at 2 to 3 mill a year?

it is obvious to everyone that we need scoring in the bottom 6 and that comes with a price--we will need to spend money down there.

here is how I see our lines next year

Leon --McDavid-****
Neal--Nuge--Yamamoto
Benson-*****- Kassian
Khaira-Archibald or Sheehan-Maroody

With our D

only 3 of Klefbom, Nurse, Larsson or Russel on the team

Bouchard, Bear, Persson with a UFA or trade done for a D signed at 2 to 3 mill

In net no idea

but we need to free up money somehow

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Having little to no experience doesn't make them worse than players who have plenty of experience proving they aren't good players.

And yes, Bear is the more reliable defenseman at this point. Larsson has arguably been the team's worst defenseman for close to two full seasons now and probably the least reliable considering that even though Benning sucks, you know what to expect.
Having little to no experience makes them green. Leaves them in a situation where they lose confidence in the instance they experience failure in important facets of their game.

The waiver exemption period is an opportunity for organizations to properly develop those skills with their prospects in an environment that isn't entirely overwhelming. For organizations to not utilize it is foolish. Rushing prospects limits their upside and starts the meter in terms of how much these players are owed in future contract negotiations.

And again, were talking about Ethan Bear. A player who ten NHL games ago was not expected to make the opening night roster. And we're talking about Adam Larsson, a player who regularly plays some of the NHL's toughest minutes against opposing teams' top offensive threats, primary PK and little to no PP opportunity. In the instance that prospect thrives, a player like Joel Persson gets bumped. If Persson exceeds expectations, Matthew Benning's role is in question.

You're suggesting that a short term surge in a depth player's development means that it'd be a good idea to make a very permanent long-term decision trading the team's top RHD.

Again, that's insane.

Reactions: ResilientBeast

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

I see a number of players there that are partially responsible for the significant improvement of our PK unit.

How many teams load those units with rookies?

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Adding a single top 6 forward it will come at a cost of 3 to 5 mill and we wont have the money unless we can ship 3 mill out. What teams have a forward available where they take just cap dumps in return?

Our top 6 is not the problem

Leon-McDavid
Neal-nuge

8.5, 12.5, 6, and 5.75 in cap hits collectively.

With kassian playing up there as well

Our bottom 6 is

At the ten game mark how many forwards not named have goals?

1 Nygard

For me, as I stated before, we should not panic and do a trade that ties our hands financially and causes us to give up assets that we need for depth.

This year is about developing the kids on the farm and letting some contracts burn off

We can shed some salary on D to make it work. Nuge isn't a good enough player to carry a stiff on his line.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Having little to no experience makes them green. Leaves them in a situation where they lose confidence in the instance they experience failure in important facets of their game.

The waiver exemption period is an opportunity for organizations to properly develop those skills with their prospects in an environment that isn't entirely overwhelming. For organizations to not utilize it is foolish. Rushing prospects limits their upside and starts the meter in terms of how much these players are owed in future contract negotiations.

And again, were talking about Ethan Bear. A player who ten NHL games ago was not expected to make the opening night roster. And we're talking about Adam Larsson, a player who regularly plays some of the NHL's toughest minutes against opposing teams' top offensive threats, primary PK and little to no PP opportunity. In the instance that prospect thrives, a player like Joel Persson gets bumped. If Persson exceeds expectations, Matthew Benning's role is in question.

You're suggesting that a short term surge in a depth player's development means that it'd be a good idea to make a very permanent long-term decision trading the team's top RHD.

Again, that's insane.

We're talking about a 22 and 23 year old in the last year of their waiver exemption. Where does "rushing prospects" come into play there?

Larsson hasn't played top competition for two seasons now and he's been getting murdered by that secondary competition. It isn't 2016 anymore. He's been arguably the team's worst defenseman for close to two full seasons now.

I see a number of players there that are partially responsible for the significant improvement of our PK unit.

How many teams load those units with rookies?

I'll take average PK work for 2 minutes per game and an actual impact in the other 10 minutes per game they play over what we have now.

There's basically no correlation between PK% and overall standings. Three teams in the top 10 last season finished with a PK ranked higher than 16th.

Last edited:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Adding a single top 6 forward it will come at a cost of 3 to 5 mill and we wont have the money unless we can ship 3 mill out. What teams have a forward available where they take just cap dumps in return?

Our top 6 is not the problem

Leon-McDavid
Neal-nuge

8.5, 12.5, 6, and 5.75 in cap hits collectively.

With kassian playing up there as well

Our bottom 6 is

At the ten game mark how many forwards not named have goals?

1 Nygard

For me, as I stated before, we should not panic and do a trade that ties our hands financially and causes us to give up assets that we need for depth.

This year is about developing the kids on the farm and letting some contracts burn off

Every team sending out a $5-$6+ million forward knows they have to take some salary back.

If we acquire a rental forward for example the other team knows they're gonna have to take back the salary of like a Gagner or Manning. It's a 1-year deal ... it's not a big deal especially because a big chunk of their salary will already have been paid off anyway.

Those teams will be interested in the picks/prospects they're getting back, not having to pay some meaningless contract for 4 months or something.

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
for me we are buying time till we shed money in the off season

up front the top two contracts coming off are Gangner and Grandland for a total of 4.45 mill on the back end it is Manning and Benning at 4.125

wild cards are Nurse and Kassians contracts and how much they will cost

second wild cards will be how to structure our D
Klefbom 4.167
Larsson 4.15
Russel 4.00
Nurse 5 to 6?

can we afford all 4 or do we move one out and bring in a number 4 guys at 2 to 3 mill a year?

it is obvious to everyone that we need scoring in the bottom 6 and that comes with a price--we will need to spend money down there.

here is how I see our lines next year

Leon --McDavid-****
Neal--Nuge--Yamamoto
Benson-*****- Kassian
Khaira-Archibald or Sheehan-Maroody

With our D

only 3 of Klefbom, Nurse, Larsson or Russel on the team

Bouchard, Bear, Persson with a UFA or trade done for a D signed at 2 to 3 mill

In net no idea

but we need to free up money somehow
Russell will get traded.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
It's at the point where I want to overpay the Sens for a couple bodies to improve the bottom-6.

To OTT: Gagner, Khaira, Berglund and 2021 2nd & 2020 3rd

To EDM: Pageau and Ennis

Reactions: gordonhught

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
It's at the point where I want to overpay the Sens for a couple bodies to improve the bottom-6.

To OTT: Gagner, Khaira, Berglund and 2021 2nd & 2020 3rd

To EDM: Pageau and Ennis

Paggeau would be a good add. Probably helps solve depth scoring problem of lines 3 and 4.

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
Based on nothing really. Our bottom six can’t be that bad again this year. That’s almost statistically impossible.

Given that the bottom six scoring is a function of the talent of the players in the unit.

It's definitely not statistically impossible. Heck it might even be likely

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
Given that the bottom six scoring is a function of the talent of the players in the unit.

It's definitely not statistically impossible. Heck it might even be likely

Isn't the bottom 6 on pace for 8 goals this season?

Have to be better players than that out there. You need four penalty killers in the bottom 6. The rest need to get points or they should be moved out (see Chiasson, Nygaard, etc.)

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Isn't the bottom 6 on pace for 8 goals this season?

Have to be better players than that out there. You need four penalty killers in the bottom 6. The rest need to get points or they should be moved out (see Chiasson, Nygaard, etc.)
Maybe, not sure, but I suspect they will improve. Russell's hit a lot of crossbars, Jurco's had some good moments and once Nygard gets back there should be an improvement.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
The bottom 6 isn't producing anything offensively... BUT before you go trading away assets/picks for "better" bottom 6 players... you have to look at the pieces down in the AHL.

Marody
Benson
Gambardella
Currie
Yamamoto

Also... Nygard will be back at some point and I thought he was one player who was actually making some impact with his speed and he did score a goal (which is more than anyone else in the bottom 6 has done).

I know 1 goal isn't a lot... but if everyone in the bottom 6 even pots 1 goal each every 8 games or so... that's ~60 goals over the course of a season.. which would definitely be solid depth from your bottom 6 and it would definitely put up a few more wins in the standings as well.

So in short... I think there's internal depth in this org to investigate instead of adding more "maybes" from elsewhere... especially when it seems those bodies from elsewhere have just as much chance of ending up being another Rieder than anything that would actually be a positive offensive influence.

Reactions: Oilhawks
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad