Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread: Hallsy Take 2?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
I think the Oilers should be bargain hunting if they're going to add immediately. Basically nothing for Petan, Benning for Sprong? type deals where you may get a useful player or you may get another Aberg. Low risk moderate reward but you hang onto your top assets and maintain cap flexibility next year.

Reactions: MessierII

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
Call up Benson. Benson-Nuge-Neal. Chiasson is too slow and ruins pretty much all cycling or rush chances that line has been notoiceably worse since he joined that line.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
I think the Oilers should be bargain hunting if they're going to add immediately. Basically nothing for Petan, Benning for Sprong? type deals where you may get a useful player or you may get another Aberg. Low risk moderate reward but you hang onto your top assets and maintain cap flexibility next year.

Benning for Sprong is the worst trade I’ve ever seen on here, and I’ve seen some bad trades proposed. Half them by me

Reactions: AT14C

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I think Petan would be a reasonable gamble. If they're in a charitable mood, just taking back Nolan Vesey to balance the contracts would work. The Leafs clear the salary and Petan gets a shot in the top six most likely.

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
What has Benson done to become an NHL player when he wasn’t close a month ago?
I don't know give him a shot if he doesn't do anything send him back the same thing was being said about Draistaitl except Benson actually has a great AHL season under his belt to back up why he should atleast get a shot when we have all these pretenders in the top 6 with Kassian/Chiasson. Why not insert a guy who had what the 2nd highest assits in the league for rookies and finished the year point per game with a shooter line Neal it might actually give Nuge AND Neal opportunities to shoot instead of Nuge doing all the work trying to set up Neal while Chiasson lumbers behind too slow to make a difference on the rush or cycle. Just a thought I mean we can just wait another 10 games to see if anyone is capable long term with the top 6 but it isn't just going to magically fix it self and no one is going to trade a legit winger right now.

Reactions: optimism

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
This is where I am a broken record--so feel free to just pass on by this comment

For those who are saying we need to pull one or two of the kids up from the farm cause our bottom 6 is so bad

take a deep breath and relax. They will be here next year--not this year--one reason why we have had to go out and find bottom 6 players from other places is because of a combination of us rushing our picks and not developing them properly. The decision has been made to actually let them develop, mature and get confidence.

I think most of us will not agree that our start was done with smoke and mirrors and we will soon will be down in the middle of the pack.

Next year 2 of Yamamoto, Benson, Marody, McLeod and maybe pizza boy will be in our line up full time

coming off the books
Gagner 3.125
Granlund 1.3
Manning 2.2
Benning 1.9
and 7 other players who make 1 mill or less a year

we will be able to go out and get some better bottom 6 player

this season a sit back relax season and just try to enjoy the games

the last two games have exposed out bottom 6 and the best thing we can do is play musical chairs and let the kids get another full year of development and then unleash them

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
This is where I am a broken record--so feel free to just pass on by this comment

For those who are saying we need to pull one or two of the kids up from the farm cause our bottom 6 is so bad

take a deep breath and relax. They will be here next year--not this year--one reason why we have had to go out and find bottom 6 players from other places is because of a combination of us rushing our picks and not developing them properly. The decision has been made to actually let them develop, mature and get confidence.

I think most of us will not agree that our start was done with smoke and mirrors and we will soon will be down in the middle of the pack.

Next year 2 of Yamamoto, Benson, Marody, McLeod and maybe pizza boy will be in our line up full time

coming off the books
Gagner 3.125
Granlund 1.3
Manning 2.2
Benning 1.9
and 7 other players who make 1 mill or less a year

we will be able to go out and get some better bottom 6 player

this season a sit back relax season and just try to enjoy the games

the last two games have exposed out bottom 6 and the best thing we can do is play musical chairs and let the kids get another full year of development and then unleash them

I agree with you. Everyone criticizes Chia for rushing guys like Yams and Pulju, but they are quick to do the exact same thing as soon as we start losing.

However, I do think that Yamamoto is a bit underrated around here and is more NHL ready than people think. If he continues his dominant play, I would call him up in ~December, not because the NHL team is struggling, but because I think he would be ready.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
I agree with you. Everyone criticizes Chia for rushing guys like Yams and Pulju, but they are quick to do the exact same thing as soon as we start losing.

However, I do think that Yamamoto is a bit underrated around here and is more NHL ready than people think. If he continues his dominant play, I would call him up in ~December, not because the NHL team is struggling, but because I think he would be ready.

If Yam continues to roll in Bakersfield they may have no other option come December.

Reactions: Llamamoto49

Darkwinter

Apr 4, 2010
Hate to say it but as long as Kassian is on the top line and Chiasson is on our top two lines you can almost guarantee the Oilers are going to be bottom feeders ...Once Larrson back think it will be time to move him and pool for some offensive help.oh and trade JJ for a bag of used TP ..that guy is our new loch, he is useless.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
If someone told us before the season started that the Oilers would be 7-2-1 in their 1st 10 games and McDavid would have 17 pts in those games coming off his injury... I think 99% of us here would be pretty happy with that.

There's going to be losses and there's going to be stretches where the team doesn't look good/great... but there's no reason to hit the panic button yet. Special teams have been good/great... goaltending as well.

Defense as a whole think has been good/decent.. and that's with some injuries as well in the lineup.

Bottom 6 has been crap offensively so nothing new there... but obviously not everything can be perfect or else we'd have nothing to complain about. :)

This team likely is an upper-middle pack team that's going to be fighting for a wildcard/playoff spot all season long... I think somewhere in that 95-100 pt range when all is said and done and I think 100 pts is doable once they get a little more support from the bottom 6.

It will take some call-ups from Bako to help as well.

Marody/Benson/Gambardella/Yamamoto/Bouchard etc are all assets down there that will be brought up throughout the season and that will add some spark to the lineup as well.

The roster is still in a state of shaking itself out and pieces that don't get going will be replaced with others that (hopefully) will do better.

Last edited:
Reactions: KYams17

Snowpants

In Depth Hockey Analyst
Apr 20, 2019
What has Benson done to become an NHL player when he wasn’t close a month ago?

Why the f do you keep posting this young players develop in the minors rhst is why they are there

But no we should the team the same they are scoring buckets last 2.5 games...

TKB21

Oct 27, 2013
If someone told us before the season started that the Oilers would be 7-2-1 in their 1st 10 games and McDavid would have 17 pts in those games coming off his injury... I think 99% of us here would be pretty happy with that.

There's going to be losses and there's going to be stretches where the team doesn't look good/great... but there's no reason to hit the panic button yet. Special teams have been good/great... goaltending as well.

Defense as a whole think has been good/decent.. and that's with some injuries as well in the lineup.

Bottom 6 has been crap offensively so nothing new there... but obviously not everything can be perfect or else we'd have nothing to complain about. :)

This team likely is an upper-middle pack team that's going to be fighting for a wildcard/playoff spot all season long... I think somewhere in that 95-100 pt range when all is said and done and I think 100 pts is doable once they get a little more support from the bottom 6.

It will take some call-ups from Bako to help as well.

Marody/Benson/Gambardella/Yamamoto/Bouchard etc are all assets down there that will be brought up throughout the season as well and that will add some spark to the lineup as well.

The roster is still in a state of shaking itself out and pieces that don't get going will be replaced with other that (hopefully) will do better.

this is not a 100 point team, if they hit low 90’s I would be a little shocked

TKB21

Oct 27, 2013
Seems more likely to be mid to low 80s, especially if imagine the league has figured out McDavid and Draisaitl.

agreed, this team is riddled with holes and haven’t looked good outside of a couple of games. Now that all other teams have shaken off the rust I expect some long losing streaks.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Why the f do you keep posting this young players develop in the minors rhst is why they are there

But no we should the team the same they are scoring buckets last 2.5 games...
It’s two games. We’re going to go through stretches this year where we don’t play well. Every team does.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
It's time to use the depth on D. Trade Larsson, Russell and Benning for forwards.

Holland gambled on a handful of forwards and came up empty. Bring in some actual NHL forwards and gamble on Jones/Lagesson handling sheltered 3rd pairing minutes instead.
Junk, junker, and junkest aren't going to get you much.

And let's be real, the defense still isn't very good.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Little is 31 years old, signed for 5 more years at 5.2M. Larsson is 26 years old signed for 2 more at 4.1.

Gonna have to disagree here.

Thanks for the age reminder... I know we've all been a bit down on Larsson for two seasons (not me personally, but...), it is important to remember that just like goaltenders, a stay-at-home guy is going to look a bit fish out of water at times when your team D-structure is faltering.

At 26, he's barely coming into his prime years as an experienced shut-down D. I can't think of too many "best shutdown guy in the league" who assumed that reputation until a) their team had team success and b) they were into their late twenties.

As a frame of reference, Chara wasn't even traded to Boston (which he never should have been) until he was 28. At the time, he was considered a product of Wade Redden.

Vlasic and Kronwall were barely playing 20mins a night for their teams at age 26.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
It’s two games. We’re going to go through stretches this year where we don’t play well. Every team does.

This is what over half this board can’t understand, we lost 2 ******* games so far this season, a great start, why would we do something stupid like calling up a player to early from the minors, or making a boneheaded trade? If you would have asked any fan or person around the league if we would be 7-2-1 in the first 10 games they would have laughed in your face.

Let’s at least enjoy October before going full crazy holy man

Reactions: TB12 and MessierII
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad