Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread: Hallsy Take 2?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
This is what over half this board can’t understand, we lost 2 ******* games so far this season, a great start, why would we do something stupid like calling up a player to early from the minors, or making a boneheaded trade? If you would have asked any fan or person around the league if we would be 7-2-1 in the first 10 games they would have laughed in your face.

Let’s at least enjoy October before going full crazy holy man
The issues that people discussed before the season began are starting to emerge. This team has absolutely atrocious depth on the front and back ends.

While I don't think callus will help all that much, this team does still need help.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
7-2-1 and people are panicking? Mcdavid and Draisaitl will still get 100 points, RNH will still get 50+ points, our bottom six scoring will start happening eventually. The one thing that will make or break the playoffs for us is if the goaltending holds up and so far thru 10 games they’ve been great. 3 losses this season and you can’t blame the goalies for none of them but you can credit some of our wins on our goalies outstanding play.

Reactions: nexttothemoon

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
This is what over half this board can’t understand, we lost 2 ******* games so far this season, a great start, why would we do something stupid like calling up a player to early from the minors, or making a boneheaded trade? If you would have asked any fan or person around the league if we would be 7-2-1 in the first 10 games they would have laughed in your face.

Let’s at least enjoy October before going full crazy holy man

I think the issue is that everyone around here has seen the same script for the last decade. When your best players, usually just 1 or 2 because we're so damn shallow talent wise, aren't playing well, entire team plays like crap. No one, and this includes RNH, steps up and supports. It's the same crap over and over.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
7-2-1 and people are panicking? Mcdavid and Draisaitl will still get 100 points, RNH will still get 50+ points, our bottom six scoring will start happening eventually. The one thing that will make or break the playoffs for us is if the goaltending holds up and so far thru 10 games they’ve been great. 3 losses this season and you can’t blame the goalies for none of them but you can credit some of our wins on our goalies outstanding play.
Goaltending aside this is more or less what we said last year, and I don't think that both Smith and Koskinen are going to hold the fort forever.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

Based on what?

Reactions: ResilientBeast

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007

The bolded part is an issue and a flat out assumption. It never happened last year and of the Holland era this is the biggest fail. Bottom six scoring contribution is as bad if not worse than last year.

Goaltending has been good but may or may nor last, both goalies are hot and cold. Defense has been good enough but that also goes back to goaltending. Top 6 has done as much as they can do, it is unreasonable to expect drai and mcdavid to get 3 points every single night.

If the bottom six does not start scoring as you project we are again not a playoff team.

Reactions: frag2

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
It's time to use the depth on D. Trade Larsson, Russell and Benning for forwards.

Holland gambled on a handful of forwards and came up empty. Bring in some actual NHL forwards and gamble on Jones/Lagesson handling sheltered 3rd pairing minutes instead.
Let’s throw more rookies on Defence with no veteran partners. Brilliant

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Let’s throw rookies on Defence. Brilliant

Two rookies have significantly outplayed those three and at 1/10th of the price.

Keeping bad, replacement level veterans for the sake of keeping veterans is how you end up with the anemic depth of this team.

Last edited:

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Hate to say it but as long as Kassian is on the top line and Chiasson is on our top two lines you can almost guarantee the Oilers are going to be bottom feeders ...Once Larrson back think it will be time to move him and pool for some offensive help.oh and trade JJ for a bag of used TP ..that guy is our new loch, he is useless.

Kassian on the top line is NOT the problem. You can put a circus clown on that top line and that would NOT be the problem. Hell, the problems with the 1st line the last 3 games are McDrai related not Kassian related.

Why in the world would they move Kassian anyway? The team is soft as butter, he's one of the few players who plays with emotion, bangs bodies and on yeah, can score too.

These are the problems. Nuge is incapable of driving a 2nd line without help. Neal can score but he's pretty much a non-factor otherwise a possession black hole, Chiasson is a lesser version of Neal. They need a player with speed who can possess the puck and create on that line. Nuge isn't good enough to drive a line on his own. That line rarely gets offensive zone time for a reason.
The bottom 6 is a disaster. They have one NHLer in Sheahan, another in Chiasson and a bunch of filler otherwise.
The problem isn't the top line RW, the problem is the rest of the forward group.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Where do we get the money for one let alone 2 top 6 forwards?

We only have Cap space due to Larssons injury and he will be in two months so we may just have about 1.5 in money to spend

Ideally 1 doesn't come with much of a price tag and the other will need some salary heading their way.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
I think the issue is that everyone around here has seen the same script for the last decade. When your best players, usually just 1 or 2 because we're so damn shallow talent wise, aren't playing well, entire team plays like crap. No one, and this includes RNH, steps up and supports. It's the same crap over and over.

RNH has rang like 3 or 4 posts this year. I’m not saying our depth is good, everyone knew going into this season we had a tonne of unknowns in our bottom 6 and we still do. I’m saying we have only lost 2 games this year, let’s wait and see if they can start chipping in, it’s the first adversity this team has faced, we have a tonne of new players and a new coaching staff, let’s see how they respond then complaining that’s it’s the same old same

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
RNH has rang like 3 or 4 posts this year. I’m not saying our depth is good, everyone knew going into this season we had a tonne of unknowns in our bottom 6 and we still do. I’m saying we have only lost 2 games this year, let’s wait and see if they can start chipping in, it’s the first adversity this team has faced, we have a tonne of new players and a new coaching staff, let’s see how they respond then complaining that’s it’s the same old same

Post don't equate to goals though ;)
It's not really just our bottom 6; its pretty much anyone not named McDavid or Draisaitl [and to a degree, Neal though we kind of know what we have in him - just a sniper, nothing more].

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
It's time to use the depth on D. Trade Larsson, Russell and Benning for forwards.

Holland gambled on a handful of forwards and came up empty. Bring in some actual NHL forwards and gamble on Jones/Lagesson handling sheltered 3rd pairing minutes instead.

Larsson will need to come back healthy before anyone trades us anything of value for him IMO. Russell has his pesky limited NTC so that might be tough to accomplish, Benning likely doesn't bring much back.

So basically it's Larsson for a top 6 (2nd line) forward and Benning for a bottom 6 forward.

Klefbom-Persson
Nurse-Bear
Manning/Jones/Lagesson-Russell

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Ideally 1 doesn't come with much of a price tag and the other will need some salary heading their way.

Adding a single top 6 forward it will come at a cost of 3 to 5 mill and we wont have the money unless we can ship 3 mill out. What teams have a forward available where they take just cap dumps in return?

Our top 6 is not the problem

Leon-McDavid
Neal-nuge

8.5, 12.5, 6, and 5.75 in cap hits collectively.

With kassian playing up there as well

Our bottom 6 is

At the ten game mark how many forwards not named have goals?

1 Nygard

For me, as I stated before, we should not panic and do a trade that ties our hands financially and causes us to give up assets that we need for depth.

This year is about developing the kids on the farm and letting some contracts burn off

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Two rookies have significantly outplayed those three and at 1/10th of the price.

Keeping bad, replacement level veterans for the sake of keeping veterans is how you end up with the anemic depth of this team.
Having no veterans to rely on to carry the bulk of the workload when the competition ramps up is how you Jultz your young prospects in short order.

Anemic depth comes from failure to produce talent internally. Producing that talent takes time.

Last edited:
Reactions: KYams17

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Having no veterans to rely on to carry the bulk of the workload when the competition and up is how you Jultz your young prospects in short order.

Anemic depth comes from failure to produce talent internally. Producing that talent takes time.

Is Bear being Jultzed right now?

Do you actually think Jones and Lagesson would automatically bust if they were to play on the third pairing?

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
Trading Larsson because of a few good games from Bear/Persson is eerily similar to the challenge contract/trading Petry because of JSchultz to me. Fortunately I think Holland is smart enough to know not to pull a move like that.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Is Bear being Jultzed right now?

Do you actually think Jones and Lagesson would automatically bust if they were to play on the third pairing?
Bear is currently exceeding everyone's including his own expectations. We're ten games in. I wouldn't take that for granted. Especially when you look at who we've played thus far. It's not even guaranteed he'll play the entire season here. Still plenty of time to hit roadblocks.

If the Oilers thought the same about Jones and Lagesson, we wouldn't be watching Brandon Manning, would we?

I'm not sure about you, but it's kind of nice knowing Adam Larsson is there around December.

Last edited:
Reactions: McCupofOil

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Bear is currently exceeding everyone's including his own expectations. We're ten games in. I wouldn't take that for granted. Especially when you look at who we've played thus far. It's not even guaranteed he'll play the entire season here. Still plenty of time to get roadblocks.

If the Oilers thought the same about Jones and Lagesson, we wouldn't be watch Brandon Manning, would we?

I'm not sure about you, but it's kind of nice knowing Adam Larsson is there around December.

I'm sure they do and I'm saying it makes no sense.

They're paying $6M for an average bottom pairing that almost singlehandedly loses you games if one of them has to play in the top4.

Keeping them solely because they're veterans is silly. Especially when they desperately need some cap to improve the worst bottom nine forward group in the league.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I'm sure they do and I'm saying it makes no sense.

They're paying $6M for an average bottom pairing that almost singlehandedly loses you games if one of them has to play in the top4.

Keeping them solely because they're veterans is silly. Especially when they desperately need some cap to improve the worst bottom nine forward group in the league.
Brandon Manning is an NHL player and has shown as such. Caleb Jones or William Lagesson are players with little to no experience.

Right now you're telling me that Ethan Bear is a more reliable defenseman than Adam Larsson. That's insane.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Brandon Manning is an NHL player and has shown as such. Caleb Jones or William Lagesson are players with little to no experience.

Right now you're telling me that Ethan Bear is a more reliable defenseman than Adam Larsson. That's insane.
Brandon Manning is an NHL player by contract and reputation only, Jones and Lagesson can improve on him without question.

Yes Bear's play doesn't make Larsson expendable, but it also doesn't make Manning better then what he is, a minor league part-timer. They should really trade him for Pysyk soon.

Reactions: KYams17

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005

replacing veteran players that can and have played full seasons with rookies is how our forward depth got destroyed.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

Having little to no experience doesn't make them worse than players who have plenty of experience proving they aren't good players.

And yes, Bear is the more reliable defenseman at this point. Larsson has arguably been the team's worst defenseman for close to two full seasons now and probably the least reliable considering that even though Benning sucks, you know what to expect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad