Roster thread: Get To Work (2022-2023 Season)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Sabres moving on from guys that don't pass the eye or stats tests seems bare minimum, but is already a step above the previous decade where talent evaluation by the front office was so far in left field

I guess its not like they had a ton of options but still glad we're seeing consistently logical moves

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Sabres moving on from guys that don't pass the eye or stats tests seems bare minimum, but is already a step above the previous decade where talent evaluation by the front office was so far in left field

I guess its not like they had a ton of options but still glad we're seeing consistently logical moves

Why do you feel the need insult Buffalo legends Joe Finley and Bobby Sanguinetti?

• Haha
Reactions: Dingo44

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
That segment of Sabres twitter will have a stroke if Krebs sits. :laugh:

The see a player who simply doesn’t exist yet.
I can buy the logic that Krebs has outplayed guys like Quinn, Mitts, and Olofsson so far and Krebs being the guy that sits for Hinostroza being a call that flies in the face of "earning playing time".

:dunno:

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I can buy the logic that Krebs has outplayed guys like Quinn, Mitts, and Olofsson so far and Krebs being the guy that sits for Hinostroza being a call that flies in the face of "earning playing time".

Two established vets on this roster like Mitts/VO are not sitting for a kid because they had a rough two games due to poor line chemistry. This is part of disconnect I was referring to with those guys on twitter. Krebs hasn’t earned any type of status on this team yet.Not to mention Mitts was better anyway even if he needs to get better. His PKing in particular was huge

You could make an argument for Krebs playing over Quinn. But even there it really doesn;t matter. Its not like either sitting would be a travesty. I’m wondering if they both might sit if Sheahan gets activated.

Save the “earning your ice time” silliness. Hard to argue Hino didn’t earn a spot coming out of camp and yet he didn’t dress in game #1. Depth players young and old will be in and out of the lineup this season. Unless they’re playing at the level Peterka is and get sat, its not a big deal.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Two established vets on this roster like Mitts/VO are not sitting for a kid because they had a rough two games due to poor line chemistry. This is part of disconnect I was referring to with those guys on twitter. Krebs hasn’t earned any type of status on this team yet.Not to mention Mitts was better anyway even if he needs to get better. His PKing in particular was huge

You could make an argument for Krebs playing over Quinn. But even there it really doesn;t matter. Its not like either sitting would be a travesty. I’m wondering if they both might sit if Sheahan gets activated.

Save the “earning your ice time” silliness. Hard to argue Hino didn’t earn a spot coming out of camp and yet he didn’t dress in game #1. Depth players young and old will be in and out of the lineup this season. Unless they’re playing at the level Peterka is and get sat, its not a big deal.
Saying a guy with an NHL career high of 25 points is more established than a guy with an NHL career high of 22 points is interesting.

I viewed both Krebs and Mittlestadt with a similar skeptical lens heading into this season. I think both players are viewed much too optimistically by a segment of Sabres fans. I do not believe either of them have earned the right to be beyond being a healthy scratch. I have them in the same boat as Quinn and Peterka.

Through two games, the Krebs-Cozens-Peterka line has been good. If you are going to keep one line together while putting three other lines in the blender, that is the line to keep together at this point.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Saying a guy with an NHL career high of 25 points is more established than a guy with an NHL career high of 22 points is interesting.
How disingenuous of you.

Yes the guy who Granato has used as one of our top 2 centers since not long after he took over in the 20-21 season until now (roughly 64 games total when healthy) and has 197 total NHL games is viewed as an established vet. Or at the very least the coaching staff views him on level well above where they view Krebs to date.
I viewed both Krebs and Mittlestadt with a similar skeptical lens heading into this season. I think both players are viewed much too optimistically by a segment of Sabres fans. I do not believe either of them have earned the right to be beyond being a healthy scratch. I have them in the same boat as Quinn and Peterka.

You can view them both skeptically. Mitts certainly has a lot to prove this season.

But their respective ice time tells the story.

Mitts
Overall -> 18:55 (#2 among forwards)
5v5 ——> 11:33 (#4)
PP ———> 4:25 (#1)
PK ———> 2:40 (#2)

Krebs
Overall -> 11:58 (#10)
5v5 ——-> 8:12 (#12)
PP ———> 3:32 (#8)
PK ———> 0:00

Mitts is being used as a top 6 all situations center. A role/usage that is light years more difficult that Krebs’s situation. The idea that they are being evaluated as if they're situations are remotely similar is crazy.

There is no way in hell the all situations center playing about 7mins a night more is in any danger of losing his spot to the kid hardly playing.
Through two games, the Krebs-Cozens-Peterka line has been good. If you are going to keep one line together while putting three other lines in the blender, that is the line to keep together at this point.

That line was driven by Cozens/Peterka and they're still together. Adding Hino to it gives another player for Cozens to play with who he’s had success with.

EDIT: For what its worth I thought Krebs best shifts were the handful centering Quinn/Peterka.

Last edited:

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
How disingenuous of you.

Yes the guy who Granato has used as one of our top 2 centers since not long after he took over in the 20-21 season until now (roughly 64 games total when healthy) and has 197 total NHL games is viewed as an established vet. Or at the very least the coaching staff views him on level well above where they view Krebs to date.

You can view them both skeptically. Mitts certainly has a lot to prove this season.

But their respective ice time tells the story.

Mitts
Overall -> 18:55 (#2 among forwards)
5v5 ——> 11:33 (#4)
PP ———> 4:25 (#1)
PK ———> 2:40 (#2)

Krebs
Overall -> 11:58 (#10)
5v5 ——-> 8:12 (#12)
PP ———> 3:32 (#8)
PK ———> 0:00

Mitts is being used as a top 6 all situations center. A role/usage that is light years more difficult that Krebs’s situation. The idea that they are being evaluated as if they're situations are remotely similar is crazy.

There is no way in hell the all situations center playing about 7mins a night more is in any danger of losing his spot to the kid hardly playing.

That line was driven by Cozens/Peterka and they're still together. Adding Hino to it gives another player for Cozens to play with who he’s had success with.

EDIT: For what its worth I thought Krebs best shifts were the handful centering Quinn/Peterka.
I do not believe that just because Granato has given Mitts a big role means that he is an established vet.

Granato gave Thompson a big role last season before he had established much of anything at the NHL level. I am guessing that Granato and Adams hope that Mittelstadt can have a breakout season like Thompson had last year. Until that actually happens, I wouldn't call Mittelstadt an established veteran.

Just like I wouldn't call Cozens an established veteran, either.

They are going to give Mittelstadt a lot of leash this season. But, that is more of a "he has to prove it" thing than a "he has proven it" thing, to me.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
How much of a Sabres fan are you?

SmartSelect_20221018_131514_Instagram.jpg

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn

Rotating all four of Hino/RS/Krebs/Quinn makes sense to me, until one of the kids plays so well you can't take them out (like JJP), or injuries hit.

Reactions: joshjull

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA

There's no viable logic for thinking that Krebs has outplayed Mitts........regardless of what the fancy stats may say.

GrierIsGod123

Oct 22, 2009
Orchard Park
I can't really complain with the blender coming up with those lines after how the first two games went.

I like Tuch back with Skinner & Thompson.

I like Asplund with Olofsson.

I like getting Krebs time at center.

And I have no complaints about Hinostroza going in and Quinn coming out.
Never thought I'd want to see Quinn out, but after his invisible start and going against bigger Western teams...I think it's the right move. Hino will not be intimidated in this type of situation and should fit seamlessly with Cozens and Peterka.

Krebs at center with Girgs and Okposo seems pretty safe. They tried Krebs and Okposo together at a few points last year and it never clicked. Hopefully putting him in this type of role will allow him to just play his game with steady defensive vets on each side.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Thankfully the coach doesn't make decisions based on players xGF%.
That is a great a mike drop, but honestly you know that they do look at these and use them to inform their decisions.... like putting him in between Girgensons and Okposo on the fourth line.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
That is a great a mike drop, but honestly you know that they do look at these and use them to inform their decisions.... like putting him in between Girgensons and Okposo on the fourth line.
No they don't. No one should be looking at that one stat to decide anything, despite what Sabres Twitter seems to imply often.

Last edited:

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I do not believe that just because Granato has given Mitts a big role means that he is an established vet.

Granato gave Thompson a big role last season before he had established much of anything at the NHL level. I am guessing that Granato and Adams hope that Mittelstadt can have a breakout season like Thompson had last year. Until that actually happens, I wouldn't call Mittelstadt an established veteran.

Just like I wouldn't call Cozens an established veteran, either.

They are going to give Mittelstadt a lot of leash this season. But, that is more of a "he has to prove it" thing than a "he has proven it" thing, to me.
Really? This is the hill you want to die on? Arguing whether or not its accurate to call Mitts an established vet? The least important aspect of this dIscussion.

Mitts has been viewed as one of our top two centers by Granato since he took over. This season he is viewed as a FAR more important piece to this roster than Krebs is right now. To suggest a player viewed like that and given the minutes he’s been given is in any danger of coming out of the lineup in favor of Krebs is absurd. Whether you want to call him an established vet or not.

I obviously agree with you that Mitts has a lot to prove. I said so in my last post. But for me that means his place on the roster going forward. Not whether he’s a NHL player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad