Roster Building Thread - Part XII (Season starts 10/9 @ 7:30 pm)

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Crazy idea, but with Swayman and the Bruins at odds...

Trade Shesty for Swayman?

Swayman would have to agree to a 1-year deal initially for about what Shesty is making now, but we could then give him a long-term deal in January.

Swayman is younger and will probably take less than 12 mil.
What’s in it for Bruins? They went to $8 AAV for Swayman. Maybe through negotiations it could get up to $8.5-$9.0 which is very far from what’s Shesterkin seeking. Lot
I think maybe 10.6 is the max I’d be ok with. It lets him reset the market. He’s younger than helleybuck, and he’s had better consistent seasons and more games than sorokin.
He can make arguments that he’s the best goalie in the league. So let him get the highest contract.
Don’t think this will be nearly enough on 8 year deal. Anything that starts with $11 and somewhat close to $11.5m will be a winning negotiation for Drury / the team

next year is the concern. Yes the cap is going up, but we have Laf and miller to extend. Potentially Lindgren as well.
Most of the cup increase will go to these internal issues. Trouba’s and Lindgren’s cap hits too. Hopefully there will be some breathing room starting a year after.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Don’t think this will be nearly enough on 8 year deal. Anything that starts with $11 and somewhat close to $11.5m will be a winning negotiation for Drury / the team

Most of the cup increase will go to these internal issues. Trouba’s and Lindgren’s cap hits too. Hopefully there will be some breathing room starting a year after.
So we’re looking at 6m + just for Igor.
Probably similar for Laf.
You’ve got Kakko who may or may not deserve to be resigned.
Miller probably gets 6m (2m raise)

That’s an increase of 18 million split between 3 players.
Trouba is -8m
Lindgren is 4m

So that’s 12m and the cap likely jumps 4.
We’re 2 million short, and it’s not counting replacing those players who leave.
And that’s assuming Kakko walks.

The math doesn’t work.

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY

Trouba is -8m
Lindgren is 4m

The math doesn’t work.
Its why the lightning havent been won after the first year of Vasy’s contract. All the other key players needed big contracts and they started jettisoning them.

Florida got lucky bc they have key players on underpaid contracts. We dont have that luxury.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
So, maybe the takeaway here is that defense wins championships. Who'da thunk it?

There are reasons why we lost but there are also reasons why Edmonton lost and if we were doing a Venn diagram there would be some similarities. Florida had been to the Cup finals the year before and they grew from that and they had a healthy Tkachuk this time. We were to the Cup finals in 22 and didn't grow from it in 23 and then a coaching change and back to the Conference finals. I think we were a deeper team last year than in 22 though the additions we made at the deadline weren't quite as good. Well we had less to trade for one thing. Getting your best players to play their best is one issue particularly with Panarin and Zibanejad. Depth and staying away from injuries or player playing really banged up is another.

In that respect I really like some of the additions I think we can make from within the organization---like Mancini, Rempe, Edstrom---there's size, physicality, skating. We should have enough scoring at the front end but playoffs are very much about attrition and the Panthers were the nastiest and most physical team in the playoffs but they also had more than enough talent on top and pretty good goaltending.

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
Saying it like that doesn't change that you're still advocating to try different units, regardless if whatever players being used is working through-out the season. That's the issue I have with it.

We won games because of the powerplay. We probably goes as far as we did in the playoffs because of the powerplay. There's a bigger issue with this team than what happens when the powerplay runs cold, and if you don't address that while potentially scoring less goals/winning less games because we're hindering our good powerplay or try new looks, then it potentially becomes a bigger issue. I also don't think that when you suddenly throw them out in game 7 it's going to net the results you want. But that's fine. We can disagree here.
Yes. I’m obviously advocating experimenting during the rev season for the sake of playoff preparedness. Since our PP went 2 for 27 over the last 10 postseason games to end our run… To quote Col Kurtz “The horror, the HORROR.” Hahahah. Yeah. Let’s just run that back. I’m not advocating just throwing a new unit out in game 7. How can you actually read the posts you are responding to and say that? How are we just throwing them out there when I’m saying we should already have them ready. And where did I say game 7? We did t even make game 7. This is frankly amazing.
Whatever. I don’t care if anything I said here gets misrepresented again. I’m done. It’s a thought. On a fan message board. It’s not worth this effort. Hahahaha. Have at it. Last word, no matter how much it misses what I’m actually advocating, is yours!

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I won't pretend like I could say for sure, but my answer would be probably not. This isn't an NFL playbook like we're going to toss out things the PK wasn't expecting and all of a sudden put them on their heals. Trying different things for when we might need them just means we're not playing them that often. Chances are when tossing then together for when we need won't result in a spark and might take longer to get going. How often are we using these units that we're trying in case we need them? I just think you're potentially creating a bigger problem that might even reduce our powerplay success. I'm all for pulling players, units, etc for when they look like total ass. But intentionally changing it up when it's working just to get different looks seems like it'll have the opposite results you're looking for.
This makes sense. PP success is a pretty ephemeral thing that could disappear / appear without an obvious reason - messing with the structure could take a sliver of confidence from the players and with it - success in execution.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

Trouba is -8m
Lindgren is 4m

The math doesn’t work.
This is exactly why cap crunch will be difficult in 25-26 with maybe some relief coming a year later. These remaining $2m are not precise and will be dealt with lots of penny pinching on these and smaller contracts, carrying 21-22 instead of 24 etc.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
This is exactly why cap crunch will be difficult in 25-26 with maybe some relief coming a year later. These remaining $2m are not precise and will be dealt with lots of penny pinching on these and smaller contracts, carrying 21-22 instead of 24 etc.
You're looking at multiple ELC's including 2 in the top 6.
Perrault is fine, but you're probably gonna need to force one of othmann or berard in there even if they're not ready.
If Kakko somehow breaks out (doubtful not impossible) you can't keep him too.

Theres a legit concern we'd be a wild card team. We'd have holes all over the roster.

Panarin comes off in 26-27, and that does open up space, but only if we don't re-sign him, which considering he's been the best FA signing in the past 20+ years. Thats gonna be a tough one.

Drew4u

Jul 22, 2016
You're looking at multiple ELC's including 2 in the top 6.
Perrault is fine, but you're probably gonna need to force one of othmann or berard in there even if they're not ready.
If Kakko somehow breaks out (doubtful not impossible) you can't keep him too.

Theres a legit concern we'd be a wild card team. We'd have holes all over the roster.

Panarin comes off in 26-27, and that does open up space, but only if we don't re-sign him, which considering he's been the best FA signing in the past 20+ years. Thats gonna be a tough one.

Why would the Rangers want overpay "again" for one of the worst playoff preformers in the league. I'd rather have Marner in the playoffs.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Why would the Rangers want overpay "again" for one of the worst playoff preformers in the league. I'd rather have Marner in the playoffs.
Because he’s still top 5 in points in the regular season. And you do have to replace his production and that’s not easy.

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
No its not. A player away from
The puck can make a huge difference. Especially defensively.

The goalie literally makes no difference if the puck is not in the zone.

If drai loses his man it can lead to a goal. Drai moving without the puck glto get open can lead to a goal. A blown check, a good check etc.

Shesty could be taking a nap when the puck is in the attacking zone and nothing really change. It has no impact on the game. Once the puck goes in the defensive zone is when he really “plays”

To me a goalie is like a field goal kicker in football. An elite one can win you the game, a bad one can cost u a game. But you should never build your team around one. The difference between avg and elite is not a whole hell of a lot.

You are better off spending the extra cap on al good defense and checking centers. If u have an elite checking center who can neutralize the other teams top players it is a much better return. And will have a much bigger effect on the game.
The goalie affects his teams play. Can they take chances? Sure Shesty’s back there. Are we ahead, yep Shesty made a couple of big saves to bail our asses out. Let’s keep playing hard because shesty’s back there keeping us in the game.

You really think he had no impact on the team’s come from behind wins?

Field goal kicker. What a joke

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
The goalie affects his teams play. Can they take chances? Sure Shesty’s back there. Are we ahead, yep Shesty made a couple of big saves to bail our asses out. Let’s keep playing hard because shesty’s back there keeping us in the game.

You really think he had no impact on the team’s come from behind wins?

Field goal kicker. What a joke

Woth a bad kicker you might need the extra five yards. With a good one u can take the shot for the endzone.

So yes field goal kicker.

And i sont think this team takes extra chances bc of shesty. We just have breakdowns and bad passes that result in needing him to bail us out.

And im not meaning it as big slight. A kicker is integral to his team and has to come up clutch all the time when the team needs him the most.

My point is you dont blow the cap on him. In football u spend on quarterback, receiver and cornerback. In hockey its centers and dmen. If u have the elite pieces down the middle and on top 4 defense it can make the goalie look alot better.

A shutdown 3rd line center is a must to win a cup. If you cant neutralize the other teams top line, like florida did to us, the goalies job is much easier.

Last edited:

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019

I rather stand pat. I do not want another non physical forward especially in the top 6. Rangers cant get dominated physically again in the playoffs.. Good teams have a balance of speed and nasty in the top 6. Rangers have Lafy Trocheck and sometimes Kreider. I’d love to see Cuyle and Othmann if he makes the team which I think he will, hopefully they will get more ice time. For not much special team time last year, Cuylle had a solid rookie season for a power forward. . Rangers need to get better along the boards. Playoff style is not finesse twirls and open space. That will be the downfall of this team, no matter what skilled players they have. If all goes well, I can see Cuylle scoring 20 goals 40 points this year.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
If Rempe can improve his skating, why can’t Fox? I hope his skating does not get worse as he gets older. He will be a liability on defense.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
If Rempe can improve his skating, why can’t Fox? I hope his skating does not get worse as he gets older. He will be a liability on defense.

A liability? That's a bit harsh don't you think?

GlasgowNewYorkRanger

Dec 7, 2017
Ok. Now find me average goaltending who’s consistently average, and doesn’t fluctuate between terrible and good.
Good goalies are rare because they’re fairly consistent, but the position has huge variables, and that variation makes it really hard.
I dare say there are a few closer to that mark but it really doesn't matter, that is my very point. We clearly have enough talent to make these post seasons without having someone doing an impression of Hasek; so with more money to spend on better skaters, I am taking the average goalie getting hot in the POs. We have seen this again, and again, and again.

Whether I trust a Rangers front office to actually portion that extra saving out sensibly and not give ludicrous contracts to players completely undeserving of that, that is the caveat and quite another matter.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
I don't like that big of deal for Igor, I didn't even like henriks last contract, but Drury is absolutely going to sign him because to lose him would end his job. We may go from playoff contender to trying to make our way in and that would hang on Drury. Personally, for the betterment of the team I'd wanna move on from him. I love his game, but could we get to the finals without him, absolutely but we'd have to spend that money wisely. This will really be the first "bad " contract of non ufa players, players that are part of the core, and it kinda pisses me of because imo all of Fox, Kreider, Trochek, Zib, left money on the table to compete, and this clown is gonna dump all over that.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
What's everyone thinking for who will replace Panarin short term? This right here is my reason I'd like them to keep Othmann around to get acclimated to the nhl. I mean this is our biggest issue that we will say "oh we'll just move Chytil up and put Brodz in the 3c spot." It decimates our 3rd line. I realize Othmann hasn't really taken off outside of a game this preseason but imo he's a goal scorer, is physically ready and maybe with some time getting used to the nhl he could be the swing man that could go from 3rd line to top line in a pinch incase of injuries come playoffs. Imo I'd gamble on keeping him while panarin is out and see where it goes from there.

Regular season does matter though. You know what was nice last season? Essentially getting a bye getting to play a shitty team like Washington.
It actually matters a lot, ending up in a first round series vs Florida would not be ideal.

NYR2007

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2009
New York
This was probably one of the worse training camps I’ve ever seen. They didn’t experiment with anything.

Would have loved to see Mika and kreider broken up

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
This was probably one of the worse training camps I’ve ever seen. They didn’t experiment with anything.

Would have loved to see Mika and kreider broken up
It was pretty evident they were running it back and only interested in replacing our bottom 3 forwards and filling holes on d.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad