Roster thread: Get To Work (2022-2023 Season)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
For the Pegula loses money on this team truthers…

the value of the team has more than tripled since he bought it. And will rise again when Ottawa sells.

Hes been raking in literal hundreds of millions in value at the cost of a small liquid loss.

Don’t let billionaires trick you into believing they lose money. They don’t.
Again. You’re talking about potential value and “valuations”. That’s all well and good when you want to sell the team, but when you need liquidity it doesn’t really offer you much. You don’t pay the players based on the value of the team, you pay them based on the revenue you bring in, namely ticket sales, and before this season those numbers had been in a downward spiral for a while.

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
+93 and will likely be cheaper than compher. Better short handed stats as well.
1681408670641.png

Reactions: Selanne00008

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
For the Pegula loses money on this team truthers…

the value of the team has more than tripled since he bought it. And will rise again when Ottawa sells.

Hes been raking in literal hundreds of millions in value at the cost of a small liquid loss.

Don’t let billionaires trick you into believing they lose money. They don’t.

Pegula does lose money on this team as regards the yearly budget.

But of course the Sabres themselves as an asset are appreciating.

Both statements can be true at the same time....and ARE true at the same time.

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES
So what's general consensus here?

Out: Oloffson, Jokiharju, Okposo, UPL, Comrie, Anderson, Hinostroza

In: Top 4 D, Solid 50 game reliable goalie, Replace other offense with one of Savoie/Kulich,

More minutes for Quinn, Peterka, Krebbs.
Maybes to keep: Okposo, Joki, one of UPL/Comrie?

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
So what's general consensus here?

Out: Oloffson, Jokiharju, Okposo, UPL, Comrie, Anderson, Hinostroza

In: Top 4 D, Solid 50 game reliable goalie, Replace other offense with one of Savoie/Kulich,

More minutes for Quinn, Peterka, Krebbs.
Maybes to keep: Okposo, Joki, one of UPL/Comrie?

I think the only things you'll find consensus on is:
1.) Getting a top 4 D to pair with either Dahlin or Power
2.) Getting a better goalie in here to either pair with Levi.....or if he goes down, Comrie.

Beyond that......there will be varying opinions of what should be done with the roster.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
48.8% would still lead our team.

The point I have made regularly is that as a PK faceoff guy and PKer in general who can play up and down the lineup at both center and wing. The elite on the PK are guys like either first line guys (Bergeron, Kopitar, Drai, Hischier) or they are true pluggers (Luke Glendening, Bleuger, Kuraly). Cross referencing them between the two, a guy who can handle volume in a set role as the faceoff and settled pair PKer for the Avs who while not great are middle of the pack compared to the Sabres craptastic ice follies.

Reactions: Zman5778

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015

Raw

He won 44.4% of his SH FO this season. That is 36th in the NHL among players with 100+ SH FO.

There were only 18 players who won 50%+ of their SH FO among players with 100+ SH FO.

View attachment 687422

Interesting.

I think the short handed faceoff win% being so low league wide really highlights that winning faceoffs has as much to do with the other skaters as it does with the guys taking the faceoff.

Faceoffs are basically random scrambles for a loose puck, which is why it's harder to win a faceoff 5v4.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything

Sigh. They are going to give Mittelstadt an 8 year deal based on a good run of 30 games out of 275 game career aren't they?

I have no issue with keeping him this summer. Heck, I'd be OK with a short term extension at a reasonable number. But, giving him a long term deal with long term prices based on half a season of good production in a 5 year NHL career would be stupid.

Reactions: Bendium

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Interesting.

I think the short handed faceoff win% being so low league wide really highlights that winning faceoffs has as much to do with the other skaters as it does with the guys taking the faceoff.

Faceoffs are basically random scrambles for a loose puck, which is why it's harder to win a faceoff 5v4.

I'm of the opinion that faceoffs as a macro don't matter. Micro events do. And that in general, the only way for the Sabres to improve at it is for them to work on it as a team if they feel the events directly after a loss are important enough to warrant it. I suspect they don't think that's worthwhile - similar to the data from http://www.lukebornn.com/papers/czuzoj_sloan_2019.pdf that was posted up earlier (and I book marked this time because otherwise I can't find the damn thing).

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Sigh. They are going to give Mittelstadt an 8 year deal based on a good run of 30 games out of 275 game career aren't they?

I have no issue with keeping him this summer. Heck, I'd be OK with a short term extension at a reasonable number. But, giving him a long term deal with long term prices based on half a season of good production in a 5 year NHL career would be stupid.

Did you copy that out of the Thompson thread?

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Interesting.

There are other factors.

One is that in the OZ, you can go with your preferred move on either dot. But, in the DZ, oftentimes you want to avoid drawing back towards your goalie and want to go into the corner. So, if you like to pull to your backhand, that only works on one side.

I was reminded of this last night when my one clean FO loss was in my DZ when I didn't want to go with my best move and win it back towards my goalie.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
If they are hoping Mittelstadt is going to magically follow the same development curve as Thompson has, I am setting up a timeshare presentation in the lobby of keybank center this summer.

My son pointed it out a couple of weeks ago as Casey was heating up - that if you lay the development times and such side by side, that Mittelstadt is now about where Tage would have been last year in terms of finally putting it together. It isn't as dominant, but there are certainly some broad parallels with from coming out probably a year too soon, the time spent in the NHL while under Botts reign, taking steps to get things in order in the AHL, losing time to injury...

Just saying there are similarities there and also to your response above being similar to your stance on the Thompson and Samuelsson extensions.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Looking at that list -- it's enlightening how many of the high-# SH faceoff takers are well below 50%.

I was f'ing around and filtered it to players with at least 20 SHFW's and added a column for the % to get a look at the raw totals and then factor percentages.

Attachments

• Raw FO with SHFW%.xlsx
    31 KB · Views: 3

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Pegula does lose money on this team as regards the yearly budget.

But of course the Sabres themselves as an asset are appreciating.

Both statements can be true at the same time....and ARE true at the same time.
He also is only making money on the team if he sells it, which he never will. Whether we like it or not the Sabres are Terry's baby.

He has his hands seeped in on them much much more than he does with the Bills.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I was f'ing around and filtered it to players with at least 20 SHFW's and added a column for the % to get a look at the raw totals and then factor percentages.
Given what @BFLO was talking about and watching a lot of lacrosse, I wonder what wingers & D are good at coming up with puck possession off of a faceoff?

Kind of like what lax FO wings are good at getting GBs...

Reactions: Chainshot
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad