Roster thread: Get To Work (2022-2023 Season)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewookie1

Jan 21, 2015
Imagine this really aggressive offseason.

(estimating high on all of these UFA $aav)
Haula 2 x $3.25
Hathaway 2 x $2.0
Girgs 2 x $2
Limited all 3 players to 2 year deals to free up cap for Quinn and JJP extensions kicking in 2025.

Graves 3 x $5

Andersen 2 x $3

VO @50% for a 3rd

2023 1st +2023 phi 2nd + 3rd from VO + Joker@50% for Weegar before the draft and his NTC kicks in.

Skinner Mitts Tuch
Greenway Tage Cozens
JJp Krebs Quinn
Girgs Haula Hathaway
Kulich Savoie Rousek

Samuelsson Dahlin
Power Weegar
Graves Boosh
Stillman/Bryson/Johson

Levi
Andersen (fred)

This salary structure leaves $4m aav free for 2023-2024 and leaves room to extend Dahlin to 8 x$10, Power 3 x $6, Mitts 8x $4.82 kicking in 2024-2025

Krebs is a bit a question mark.

I’d want a tad more for Olofsson at 50% retention. He’s still a high end goal scorer.

I wouldn’t bother with Graves if I acquired Weegar. We already have Dahlin (10) Power (6) Muel (4.25) Weegar (6.25), so 26mil in the D locked up for a minimum of 2 years and then more for 4 more years. Graves at 5 mil would be too much to properly handle. You’d need a cheaper alternative for the 3LHD more akin to Bush’s price. 30mil for 6 D is still a lot but is better than nearly 36mil.

Reactions: CaliSabresfan24

CaliSabresfan24

Aug 21, 2021
San Jose,CA
Imagine this really aggressive offseason.

(estimating high on all of these UFA $aav)
Haula 2 x $3.25
Hathaway 2 x $2.0
Girgs 2 x $2
Limited all 3 players to 2 year deals to free up cap for Quinn and JJP extensions kicking in 2025.

Graves 3 x $5

Andersen 2 x $3

VO @50% for a 3rd

2023 1st +2023 phi 2nd + 3rd from VO + Joker@50% for Weegar before the draft and his NTC kicks in.

Skinner Mitts Tuch
Greenway Tage Cozens
JJp Krebs Quinn
Girgs Haula Hathaway
Kulich Savoie Rousek

Samuelsson Dahlin
Power Weegar
Graves Boosh
Stillman/Bryson/Johson

Levi
Andersen (fred)

This salary structure leaves $4m aav free for 2023-2024 and leaves room to extend Dahlin to 8 x$10, Power 3 x $6, Mitts 8x $4.82 kicking in 2024-2025

Krebs is a bit a question mark.
I'd try to make it our 1st in 24.

If it has to be this years 1st than I'd rather it be a 2nd in 24.. I don't like the idea of giving up a 1st and a 2nd in this years draft

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES
I’m starting to come around to OK coming back. Not coming around as in ya in favor but in the resigned he’ll be back again because they’ll keep some veterans around, probably him and girgs.

I could also see joker back. He's under contract and he's cheap. It wouldnt shock me in the least if he came back and they heavily pursued a #4. They don't have anyone to push him out of the lineup, they need another bottom pair dman, and his contract has a year left. You could keep him around and lock him in the press box if his poor play continues and there wouldn't be any long term negatives. If every other option worked out you could waive him without too much hassle as well.

Yep. I am open to it as well. I was a KO whipping boy for the last 4-5 years. BUT, he has grown as a leader, well respected and at a vet minimum i wouldn't hate it. It'd be nice, with everything he has gone through, to get him into the playoffs wearing a Sabres sweater.

Joki I could see hanging around as well, cause, injuries happen and he could be useful in a 5-6 role max in spot duty.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
If the choice was Anderson to play 20-25 games or bring back UPL/Comrie I bring back Anderson. Leaving the door open but likely retiring. A 1 year 2.5 mil per deal would entice him to come back though. He is the only goalie besides Levi who can finish above 900 on this team right now.

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
I love this. More or less my dream offseason.

One nitpick comment though - do we really see JJP/Quinn as core pieces yet? To the point where we're already planning for huge extensions?

I think Quinn likely is - but he's not proven it yet. Peterka... could be one of the guys passed on the depth chart by Kulich or Savoie if they impress at the NHL level IMO.

Imagine Mitts keeps up his recent high quality play between Skinner & Tuch for the majority of a season... I don't know how you don't give him a big extension after that - which closes off another top 6 spot long term.
I left room to extend Mitts at roughly $5m aav.

I think it's smart to have room to at least bridge JJP and Quinn while not committing too long to a bunch of UFAs who are about to age out. If Quinn and JJP bust we're also set up to buy a new crow of UFAs rather than be stuck with Haula/Hathaway after they've hit the age wall.
I’d want a tad more for Olofsson at 50% retention. He’s still a high end goal scorer.

I wouldn’t bother with Graves if I acquired Weegar. We already have Dahlin (10) Power (6) Muel (4.25) Weegar (6.25), so 26mil in the D locked up for a minimum of 2 years and then more for 4 more years. Graves at 5 mil would be too much to properly handle. You’d need a cheaper alternative for the 3LHD more akin to Bush’s price. 30mil for 6 D is still a lot but is better than nearly 36mil.
I'd like more too, but it is what it is. I tried to underestimate the value or our players by 25% and overestimate UFAs and trade acquisitions by 25% so that the convo didn't get bogged down on my prices being too optimistic.

$36 mil for the top 5 D men would only be for 1 season, graves falling off the books after 2025-2026. It's tight, but do-able.

I'd try to make it our 1st in 24.

If it has to be this years 1st than I'd rather it be a 2nd in 24.. I don't like the idea of giving up a 1st and a 2nd in this years draft
Yeah our 2023 1st has more value. But I don't like the idea of going another season without another top 4 D.

Just get it done and get the top 4 dman and don't worry about quibbling about the value of our 2023 vs 2024 1st. Weegar on the roster now >>> the difference in value between our 2023 1st and 2024 1st

Reactions: Rowley Birkin

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
If the choice was Anderson to play 20-25 games or bring back UPL/Comrie I bring back Anderson. Leaving the door open but likely retiring. A 1 year 2.5 mil per deal would entice him to come back though. He is the only goalie besides Levi who can finish above 900 on this team right now.
You have to convince his wife

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Anderson has been toast for months and thankfully they got him a win and he's made the right decision to retire.

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
Hmmmm. Do we have our immediate center core already in Thompson, Cozens, Mitts, Krebs? Holy crap has Mitts been a revelation
Would still like a defensively responsible C who is good at face-offs. Maybe Krebs turns into that, maybe we get a winger who can just take face offs for him, but we can't keep losing every face off in our own end.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I agree, but I also don't think ignoring the situation and bringing in nobody will solve anything either.

I've posted my solution before: that they need to bring in a coach and get dedication from their top faceoff guys AND the wingers to drive them toward improvement. Without dedication to that from their top centers, bringing in some Eakin-esque guy isn't going to move the needle.

Reactions: Dirty Dog

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Excellent deal for the Wild.

Another case of a guy who just kept working. He didn't turn into a regular until last year at the age of 28.

Weird that not only is he a guy who worked up from an AHL-only deal but he wound up in Cincinnati in the ECHL on the same team as Mackenzie Weegar at one point.

Reactions: Dingo44

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Mitts is akin to Killorn with the Lightning - part of the near-core guys who happens to be productive in a depth role up and down the lineup who also happened to survive time after time when cap cuts would call. He provides versatility, depth scoring, and is a known big part of their room. Given how he's increased his work rate and contests pucks, that all has value.

In comparing their stats at their same age, I can see that a bit. I'd like to see Mittelstadt get worked in on the PK a bit next next year (under hopefully a new assistant coach). If he can add the PK utility to his game and improve his own zone play, I'd have much less hesitation in signing him longer term. Though I still think that leaving flexibility for 2-3 years down the road is important as well. They don't need to make any decisions this summer, however.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
In comparing their stats at their same age, I can see that a bit. I'd like to see Mittelstadt get worked in on the PK a bit next next year (under hopefully a new assistant coach). If he can add the PK utility to his game and improve his own zone play

He was worked in the PK a bit at the end of last year and from what I recall showed some real promise there. Not sure why he didn't really get the chance this year.....maybe the coaching staff were just trying to simplify things for him?

Reactions: Dirty Dog

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
In comparing their stats at their same age, I can see that a bit. I'd like to see Mittelstadt get worked in on the PK a bit next next year (under hopefully a new assistant coach). If he can add the PK utility to his game and improve his own zone play, I'd have much less hesitation in signing him longer term. Though I still think that leaving flexibility for 2-3 years down the road is important as well. They don't need to make any decisions this summer, however.

I'm hoping they shuffle up their PKing by adding in more of Quinn and eventually Peterka as a way to get more pressure out of their PK. Quinn's given them some good stuff there with Cozens but they need more. Peterka has some use as a PKer later last season in Rochester. And all of that is predicated on them drawing down the minutes they give Girgensons and Okposo on the PK (and at 5-on-5 to be frank).

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
I left room to extend Mitts at roughly $5m aav.

I think it's smart to have room to at least bridge JJP and Quinn while not committing too long to a bunch of UFAs who are about to age out. If Quinn and JJP bust we're also set up to buy a new crow of UFAs rather than be stuck with Haula/Hathaway after they've hit the age wall.

I'd like more too, but it is what it is. I tried to underestimate the value or our players by 25% and overestimate UFAs and trade acquisitions by 25% so that the convo didn't get bogged down on my prices being too optimistic.

$36 mil for the top 5 D men would only be for 1 season, graves falling off the books after 2025-2026. It's tight, but do-able.

Yeah our 2023 1st has more value. But I don't like the idea of going another season without another top 4 D.

Just get it done and get the top 4 dman and don't worry about quibbling about the value of our 2023 vs 2024 1st. Weegar on the roster now >>> the difference in value between our 2023 1st and 2024 1st
Generally agreed with all of this - particularly your point about Weegar (or any other guy we acquire in that role). I might dangle Rosen or even Ostlund instead of the R1 pick - but I'd happily make your proposal if that's what it took.

I think Mitts gets an extension in that same 7m AAV range as TT/Cozens if he carries on playing close to PPG though. So factor that in to what you give to UFAs short term & your core guys long term.

I'm confident they could make all of this work though simply because of the abundance of both cap space & trade assets. Your OP didn't even account for the returns we'd get from moving Conrie/UPL either IIRC.

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
Clifton 5x4.2 (Power partner)
Hill 3x3 (3 year tandem with Levi)
Fast 4x2.75 (instant best PK forward)
Girgensons 4x1.75 (4th line mainstay)
Okposo 1x2 (last hurrah and can make the playoffs finally)

Trade Olofsson(1/2 retained) & UPL

Explore Rosen trade for a high end D prospect on ELC

Let Savoie and Kulich cook one more year

After next season, Savoie takes Okposo spot, and Kulich takes either Mitts or Krebs spot, one stays one gets moved

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Clifton 5x4.2 (Power partner)
Hill 3x3 (3 year tandem with Levi)
Fast 4x2.75 (instant best PK forward)
Girgensons 4x1.75 (4th line mainstay)
Okposo 1x2 (last hurrah and can make the playoffs finally)

Trade Olofsson(1/2 retained) & UPL

Explore Rosen trade for a high end D prospect on ELC

Let Savoie and Kulich cook one more year

After next season, Savoie takes Okposo spot, and Kulich takes either Mitts or Krebs spot, one stays one gets moved
I don't have a problem with resigning KO on a 1 year deal to be 12/13F & continue his 'dad' role.

But a player like Savoie or Kulich is not coming close to 'replacing' him when he leaves. This has fast become the popular narrative i absolutely hate the most on these forums lately.

And if they are bringing in another goalie to pair with Levi while shipping out both Comrie/UPL... That guy had better be more proven than Adin Hill.

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
I don't have a problem with resigning KO on a 1 year deal to be 12/13F & continue his 'dad' role.

But a player like Savoie or Kulich is not coming close to 'replacing' him when he leaves. This has fast become the popular narrative i absolutely hate the most on these forums lately.

And if they are bringing in another goalie to pair with Levi while shipping out both Comrie/UPL... That guy had better be more proven than Adin Hill.

Don't think of it as one for one as far as replacing the skill-set or attributes. I just mean a roster spot. As for who plays on what lines and how minutes get distributed that will get sorted out. And as our extremely young team gains experience, the defensive side will improve across the board. (And Fast on a 4 year deal is your eventual Okposo replacement if you want to think of it that way)

Adin Hill has a .910 save percentage in 100 NHL games. The question is can he stay healthy and play 25 to 30 games a year.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad