Roster thread: Get To Work (2022-2023 Season)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
I know Compher is a popular UFA C idea. But, I do wonder about Toews as a C that can win faceoffs and add veteran leadership.
I have kept my eye on him for some time. Not sure he moves, but I wouldn't mind him for a year as the 3rd or 4th C. Give him manageable minutes on the 4th between Girgs and Okposo, with him moving up the lineup here and there as needed for injuries. He can take important faceoffs. His potential effect on teaching our other centers is gold.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Hesitant to sign the guy who was quiet about sexual abuse in the locker room then defended Chicago management after the fact for his "leadership" ability.

Same. And Compher has none of that baggage and can play up the lineup as he's done this year for the Avalanche unlike how badly Toews has fallen off in recent years, even before his bought with long COVID. There has been rumble that he'll go to Winnipeg where he's from and they were interested up until he shut it down earlier this year to get healthy.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Pegula cut costs to the bone during that period of uncertainty in 2020 after the markets crashed and before they recovered.

His net worth has more than doubled since the lows of 2020. He fell below $4b and is now estimated at $7-$8b depending on source.

I too think that he'll start spending again at some point... but when? He could afford to lose $100m a season on the Sabres and his net would continue to rise under current market conditions.

2020 is ancient history at this point.

However, the operational costs he cut were unnecessary and cruel. In a time where NO sports team were hiring, they sent people out onto the job market when the family could have ate the losses in perpetuity with a minimal impact to the Pegula's family net worth.

My biggest issue is that the Pegulas came in here with bravado and promises of no financial restraints. No salary cap on front office spending and they would spend there.

Less than a decade later they abandoned low and mid level staff in a time when the jobs were scarce. Now they've spent below the cap floor two seasons in a row. The arena is in a state of disrepair.

I certainly understand that there is a limit to everyone when it comes to losing money on a hobby, even if it's something you are passionate about. And the Pegulas have dumped an extraordinary amount of money on the team in their 13 years of ownership. However, the reason they've lost so much money is their stubborness and refusal to get help in running the team.

TehDoak

Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Hesitant to sign the guy who was quiet about sexual abuse in the locker room then defended Chicago management after the fact for his "leadership" ability.

He was also front and center in the Beach cover up. Do not want that kind of leadership in the room.

Could/Should have Toews taken a different stance on things after everything came out? It's easy to say yes from our standpoint, however, It's much harder when the people in question are your friends/coworkers for over a decade. We don't know the full details of his involvement, I think it's reasonable to think the front office kept the players out of the loop on the details in the midst of a playoff run.

I have zero qualms signing him. Captain of 3 stanley cup winning teams, a conn smythe, 2x gold medals, Selke award. Fits our immediate needs and can provide a voice of experience and respect like nobody else available can.

Grouch

Apr 22, 2021
I have kept my eye on him for some time. Not sure he moves, but I wouldn't mind him for a year as the 3rd or 4th C. Give him manageable minutes on the 4th between Girgs and Okposo, with him moving up the lineup here and there as needed for injuries. He can take important faceoffs. His potential effect on teaching our other centers is gold.
Geesus.......we can have the youngest AND slowest team in the NHL!!!!!!

Z - Toews - KO The Sloth Line. The Molasses Line.

Big No on Toews

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
Geesus.......we can have the youngest AND slowest team in the NHL!!!!!!

Z - Toews - KO The Sloth Line. The Molasses Line.

Big No on Toews
Good team have a full array of tools and role players. So many fans on this board think 19-21 year old speedsters is the only way to win. Next year we absolutely need to make the playoffs, but there is no trade scenarios that make us a cup team. We need to focus on supporting the core with players that help them grow. I am talking Tage, Tuch, Quinn, JJP, Krebs, Dahlin, Power, Mitts, Cozens, Sammy. NOT Savoie, Kulich, Rosen, etc. Toews for a year would be great for that growth.

There may be even better options out there, but I am just acknowledging Toews for a year could work.

Duddy

Everyday is
Dec 24, 2005
Yeah, what we need to make the playoffs is the corpse of toews. I'd rather get someone that can still play.

Reactions: Dingo44

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Compher's legs aren't shot, he's one of the top PK faceoff guys in the league by draws taken and wins, and he played up the lineup under pressure for an excellent team in Colorado. He also has a Cup win just last year.

12DDA672-E24F-4044-8F7D-4186F5285555.jpeg

TehDoak

Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Yeah, what we need to make the playoffs is the corpse of toews. I'd rather get someone that can still play.

He's way overused in Chicago for what he is.

Reduce his TOI to 13-15 minutes a night (from 17)

Give him a few more months of recovery from long covid, feed him some vet rest days when the schedule gets compacted. Let him work with Thompson/Krebs/Cozens on faceoffs. Help with the PK.

Let him show the kind of commitment it takes to win in the NHL.

Bunch of young forwards partying a bit too hard at home? Coming to the rink unprepared? That is the kind of thing Toews will be able to help correct in a way the coaching staff won't.

"Captain Serious" is exactly what the team needs off the ice. He's gonna command the respect and have some gravitas that Okposo and Girgensons, to be frank, don't.

He's a shadow of who he used to be on the ice, for sure. We'd be paying for his off ice impacts more than his on the ice impacts.

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES
Yeah hard no on Toews for me. I get the whole leadership team but not at the expense of 0 production. He's toast, and even if he wasn't he isn't gonna play here anyways.

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES
Not even saying I want Compher. but That doesn't move the needle for me. 3 years ago is a long time.

Toews may retire, and if he doesn't it's unlikely he plays even 65+ games or can even produce at all. There's just wayy too many questions with him and he won't come here anyways.

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
Compher does not win face offs.

FOW 794
FOL 834
FO differential -40

1681408250478.png

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
His arena is falling apart. He laid off people making peanuts during a pandemic to save himself pennies. He’s decimates the front office and scouting department. He has the lowest payroll in the league.

f*** man, the burden of proof is on his cheap ass.

You want people to believe they’ll spend money? f***ing spend money. Sitting around here calling people out for observing actual things that have happened with beliefs you can’t show a damn thing for. Come on. He’s cheap as f***.
I mean it was during the heart of the pandemic. Many businesses were absolutely crushed by this. Hockey is a gate driven sport. Also, the front office had so little success why not change it over? The guys Adam’s has brought in since have seemed to have a good eye for development and they’ve definitely added to their analytics dept. since all of that went down.

Was it a bad look? Absolutely. But to an extent they had so little success for so long and were going to be losing so much money that they had to do something.

And people will say “but they make SOOO much money, why don’t they cut from their own pockets”. While that’s true to an extent, imagine the Sabres are about 20% of their revenue and the Bills are closer to 75% and the rest is random PSE stuff (Bandits, music, etc)…
What would you do if 20% of your revenue was potentially thrown out the window? As a company officer it’s your duty to put the company in good financial standing, not just sit there and take a hit for however many years (especially at that time not knowing how the pandemic would fully impact the sport or revenue therefrom).

So while I get the idea that they’re cheap, there were reasons, and their past history (Ehrhoff buyout, how many coaches on the payroll continually for years, wasted money on front office staffs who couldn’t draft or develop), I understand the need to tear down and rebuild, basically from the top down, and the pandemic was the “perfect”reason to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad