Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lek

Nov 25, 2006
Raleigh
Of course all that might be right, but...Did Chris L. ever go on road trips solo prior to last week? That would be notable (and scary) if not.
Lou wanted an eye on the team during the trip.

While Lane's "pressers" were not all that previous to this trip. Looking back, they were really off during this trip. Lane at that point knew something was coming?

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Lou wanted an eye on the team during the trip.

While Lane's "pressers" were not all that previous to this trip. Looking back, they were really off during this trip. Lane at that point knew something was coming?
The frustration certainly showed in the last one

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
Anyone else catch this little, yet potentially telling/scary, nugget in the Post from a few days ago....?

Islanders players back Lane Lambert despite team’s woes

"After losing seven in a row then, the Islanders managed to turn things around and put together their best four weeks of the season.

Lamoriello was not on the road this week — assistant GM Chris Lamoriello took his father’s place on the four-city swing — and is not one to make his thinking on such matters public."

Maybe Lou was just meeting with Roy face to face to finalize things...Or maybe this really is a bigger story. Not sure why Lou would need to meet with Roy in person. Maybe something is happening with Malkin/Lou's power. Maybe he has a health issue.

Feels like something strange is up. This could be a very interesting next few months/summer offseason.

640px-Manwithtinfoilhat.jpg

I know Maclean earned it, but part of me thinks that he was the call up instead of Ishakov cause Lou knew that Lambert et al days were numbered and wanted to give father and son a chance to experience this. I know the W comes before anything else, but we needed a call up, and maybe they didn't want Barzal back at center. Just spit-ballin, but feel like it could have been done this way with that moment in mind.

The regular 4th line center is out. Another 4th line center was called up. That's really all there is to it. We've repeatedly seen the Isles not promote players to fill holes that don't fit their skill set. Ishakov projects as a player that would slot in higher in the line-up (if he ever makes it at all). The Isles 4th line doesn't play a game that suits a 5'8 player.

Last edited:

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
Agree with most of this. I mean if Roy only took a deal through the end of the season that would speak to utter desperation to get back into the NHL. Because why would he uproot his life for only about 40 games and no guarantees beyond that.

Honestly almost unbelievable that Lou would hire him though. Not sure there was a coach on the market who could be more of a GM killer than Roy. Lou wants 10000% control...And skeptical Roy has lost the fire from his Colorado days to have absolutely zero input into roster moves.

At the same time Ledecky has said over that ownership won't interfere with the GM of the team because, "If you don't have faith in the GM then you don't have a GM." Of course what Ledecky says doesn't have to be what Malkin believes, but if Malkin got involved I can't imagine Lou is happy with that.

*Talking.*
Roy is a GM killer? The only GM he ever had is still there, and is now one of the most successful GMs in the league.

And even if Roy is a GM killer, so what? Lou knows this is his last job. Roll the dice. Kill or be killed.

The Real JT

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss. :(
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Roy is a GM killer? The only GM he ever had is still there, and is now one of the most successful GMs in the league.

And even if Roy is a GM killer, so what? Lou knows this is his last job. Roll the dice. Kill or be killed.
IMG_2188.gif

Roy was exactly what this team needed so I give Lou credit for a bold move. It may not work but he played Part 1 of his hand.

Part 2 will be scarier for the future of the team since it involves yet another first round pick. We’ll see.

Glorydays22

Nov 21, 2011
Prediction: Pulock out the rest of the regular season, Lou uses LTIR space and trades Wahlstrom + 2nd to Ottawa for Tarasenko. Pulock returns for playoffs.

Barzal-Horvat-Tarasenko
Lee-Nelson-Palmieri
Engvall-Pageau-Holmstrom
Fasching-Cizikas-Clutterbuck

Romanov-Dobson
Pelech-Pulock
Reilly-Mayfield
I can see Lou doing something like this, but we miss out of the playoffs regardless.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
Wonder why there are rumblings of Mittelstadt being available. If he is that’s a guy you go for. He is an RFA and can easily fit in the cap this season. I doubt we have the assets to acquire him, but he would be great both short term and long term.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Wonder why there are rumblings of Mittelstadt being available. If he is that’s a guy you go for. He is an RFA and can easily fit in the cap this season. I doubt we have the assets to acquire him, but he would be great both short term and long term.
Love this idea. I think he would look great playing with Nelson and Palmieri, which allows Engvall to drop down to LW3, so the top 3 lines would have a strong puck-possession player on each line. If he was available, then I assume it starts with a 1st.

I think Pinto fits as well - if he becomes available.

I would love it if they added another top 6 F - preferably someone who can play a strong possession game. I am happy with the blueline once Pulock comes back.

Excited about tonight's game.

Reactions: WangMustGo

bstash19

Apr 8, 2012
long island
Love this idea. I think he would look great playing with Nelson and Palmieri, which allows Engvall to drop down to LW3, so the top 3 lines would have a strong puck-possession player on each line. If he was available, then I assume it starts with a 1st.

I think Pinto fits as well - if he becomes available.

I would love it if they added another top 6 F - preferably someone who can play a strong possession game. I am happy with the blueline once Pulock comes back.

Excited about tonight's game.

I dont think pinto is available. Elliotte freidman was saying on the most recent 32 thoughts that ottawa is interested in signing pinto long term. (possibly buying up some of his UFA years)

Reactions: SI

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
Prediction: Pulock out the rest of the regular season, Lou uses LTIR space and trades Wahlstrom + 2nd to Ottawa for Tarasenko. Pulock returns for playoffs.

Barzal-Horvat-Tarasenko
Lee-Nelson-Palmieri
Engvall-Pageau-Holmstrom
Fasching-Cizikas-Clutterbuck

Romanov-Dobson
Pelech-Pulock
Reilly-Mayfield
I’m a little surprised Pulock hasn’t started skating yet. He’ll be 7 weeks on Thursday. I’m assuming it’s a broken leg. I mean he played the rest of the game I think after he hurt it so you wouldn’t think it is a bad break.

Taswell

Oct 4, 2017
I mean yeah we'd all love Mittlestadt but we can definitely be out bid, and I'm sure the Sabres would prefer to send him out west.

Reactions: WangMustGo

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
I mean yeah we'd all love Mittlestadt but we can definitely be out bid, and I'm sure the Sabres would prefer to send him out west.
I listen to the Peters podcast once in a while. After the whistle. Of course heavy buffalo coverage, but they discuss broader things.

I think it’s Peters, but he kept saying last year and in the summer, that BUF wasn’t making the playoffs, too many young guys had career years, would face headwinds on the pressure to make the playoffs, they don’t play d, and their goalie is too raw. His ongoing point was that someone on that roster is going to have to go to shore up the weaknesses before they can take the next step. He was kinda pissed they didn’t do anything over the summer.

Looking like he was right on point and BUF is another lottoland finish. And still have to make a roster move or two.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
I’m a little surprised Pulock hasn’t started skating yet. He’ll be 7 weeks on Thursday. I’m assuming it’s a broken leg. I mean he played the rest of the game I think after he hurt it so you wouldn’t think it is a bad break.
More likely broken ankle if my memory of where he was hit is accurate. Not sure which of the two is quicker to come back from.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
View attachment 808646

Roy was exactly what this team needed so I give Lou credit for a bold move. It may not work but he played Part 1 of his hand.

Part 2 will be scarier for the future of the team since it involves yet another first round pick. We’ll see.

Oh, it's gone. This team would have to go on like a 15-game winning streak for Lou to hold onto that pick and heck, I dunno if that would even do it.

That first is already out the door.

Just pray it's not simply for Adam Henrique.

Or if it is, that it's accompanied by shipping out one of the bodies we least need on the depth chart with a couple of prospects like Colangelo and Hinds coming back as well.

It's not like Anaheim will have any space for all these kids anyways.

Reactions: periferal

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Oh, it's gone. This team would have to go on like a 15-game winning streak for Lou to hold onto that pick and heck, I dunno if that would even do it.

That first is already out the door.

Just pray it's not simply for Adam Henrique.

Or if it is, that it's accompanied by shipping out one of the bodies we least need on the depth chart with a couple of prospects like Colangelo and Hinds coming back as well.

It's not like Anaheim will have any space for all these kids anyways.
FWIW, with the Isles Lou has not traded a 1st for a guy quite like Henrique. He did trade for JGP, Palmieri and Horvat as pending UFAs who he then extended. But their ages were 28, 30 and 27, I believe. Henrique turns 34 in a couple of weeks. So trading a 1st for him would be new territory.

Reactions: Throttle

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
FWIW, with the Isles Lou has not traded a 1st for a guy quite like Henrique. He did trade for JGP, Palmieri and Horvat as pending UFAs who he then extended. But their ages were 28, 30 and 27, I believe. Henrique turns 34 in a couple of weeks. So trading a 1st for him would be new territory.
He’s also trading the pick with the intention of resigning the acquired player.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
I listen to the Peters podcast once in a while. After the whistle. Of course heavy buffalo coverage, but they discuss broader things.

I think it’s Peters, but he kept saying last year and in the summer, that BUF wasn’t making the playoffs, too many young guys had career years, would face headwinds on the pressure to make the playoffs, they don’t play d, and their goalie is too raw. His ongoing point was that someone on that roster is going to have to go to shore up the weaknesses before they can take the next step. He was kinda pissed they didn’t do anything over the summer.

Looking like he was right on point and BUF is another lottoland finish. And still have to make a roster move or two.

I wonder if something involving Pulock would entice Buffalo. They get a veteran top 4 right shot defenseman with tons of playoff experience that is locked up long term.

We have Dobson blossoming into a top 10 defenseman l, who commands 25 minutes a night. Losing Pulock would hurt, but I think we could manage.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany

And yet he is a pending UFA... :sarcasm:

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

Well I also think hiring Roy is new territory. This might be Lou's last few months of his career so anything and everything is on the table.

No chance he keeps the 2024 1st and if there's no better deal out there he may *settle* for someone like Henrique.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I wonder if something involving Pulock would entice Buffalo. They get a veteran top 4 right shot defenseman with tons of playoff experience that is locked up long term.

We have Dobson blossoming into a top 10 defenseman l, who commands 25 minutes a night. Losing Pulock would hurt, but I think we could manage.

Hoenstly Pulock is pretty average at the end of the day. I remember when we drafted him he was supposed to be our PP QB for a decade plus, but despite having what could be a top 10 shot he can't use it effectively. He's become a solid defensive defenseman, but honestly not special enough and defeintely replaceable.

Probably is I just don't see who would take that contract which doesn't end until 2030 (not that I see Lou trading him anyway).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad