Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
I don’t think Lou is getting canned in the summer. I do believe Roy has an incentive laden contract with a team option.

He’s been out of the coaching circle and league for 6 years. He had no leverage, the guy was practically grateful in his presser, a bit counter to his high octane confidence and compete level. He knew he screwed hjmself. There’s probably been 50 openings since he split on COL and no one called him.
Maybe. Though we don't whether or not he was in the NHL coaching job market the last few years. He stepped down from the Ramparts last June (presumably to get back to the NHL). I just think even if he currently had little/no leverage, agreeing to a deal that could potentially be only 3-4 months is very risky.

It was being reported by Elliote Friedman that at least one other team was talking to him, my guess is the Leafs.
He said two western conference teams.

NC 1972

Dec 8, 2017
I agree with you on Fasching.

Engvall is Oleg Kvasha. Every now and then you see something that gives you hope but inevitably you’re disappointed.

I’ve said this before but I’ll repeat myself. He’s exactly the type of player you don’t want in the playoffs. Soft. Soft. Soft.

In the absence of a hockey trade, I’d slot Parise on Nelson’s line. Hopefully we can squeeze one more productive year out of him. I also think that if Parise was previously on the fence, the Roy signing might motivate him to return.
For me Kavasha and Engvail aren’t comparable the reason being that we traded a HOF goaltender for him and Parish and therefore he carries a higher expectation that he never lived up to. Parrish was a serviceable forward. What did Engvail cost a 3rd round pick? Granted I think the extension was a bit too generous, but that’s Lou’s MO. He gives us an element we’re sorely lacking speed. He can skate the puck out of danger and cause turnovers on the forecheck. He’s not a goal scorer but he pots a few here and there.

Reactions: Strummergas

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
It was being reported by Elliote Friedman that at least one other team was talking to him, my guess is the Leafs.
He was clueless on the call he had with NHL network right after the announcement - he followed onto a story by one of Roy’s friends, an announcer, that Roy told him it was Calgary and St. Louis and he didn’t want to deal with western conference travel was his reasoning for not pursuing them further.

Roy doesn’t fit with either of those teams from a coaching perspective based on the GM.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Not sure why they aren’t at least trying Gauthier there. Not like Anders Lee is out here playing amazing off the puck. Seems like the dude probably has the skill to at least ride along on that line and cause some chaos for Barzy + Horvat to thrive off of. He can shoot the puck too. Maybe Roy will be the one to give his Quebecois compatriot the chance
Didn't they try Gauthier?

Top Corner

Feb 27, 2002
Mtl
Visit site
Not sure why they aren’t at least trying Gauthier there. Not like Anders Lee is out here playing amazing off the puck. Seems like the dude probably has the skill to at least ride along on that line and cause some chaos for Barzy + Horvat to thrive off of. He can shoot the puck too. Maybe Roy will be the one to give his Quebecois compatriot the chance
I agree, at worst he can create turnovers with a speedy forecheck that could benefit his linemates

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
I was watching the recaps of the games last night and in 3 of them they were talking about Roy and the Islanders while the play was going on. The buzz is real... let's hope it's not just buzz.

Nah hasn’t happened yet
I still think they should have kept Holmstrom there longer. The chemistry was building. But, Holmstrom looks good with Pageau too.

Reactions: Osakahaus and SI90

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I’d be surprised if Roy is only under contract through the rest of the season.

He’s doesn’t carry an interim tag and there were other teams interested in him.

Any new GM would love to go into their first year with a coach from the past GM because it’s an easy scapegoat if things don’t go your way.

Collins probably had an impact on Roy landing here and will 100% have an impact for the next GM.

Agree with most of this. I mean if Roy only took a deal through the end of the season that would speak to utter desperation to get back into the NHL. Because why would he uproot his life for only about 40 games and no guarantees beyond that.

Honestly almost unbelievable that Lou would hire him though. Not sure there was a coach on the market who could be more of a GM killer than Roy. Lou wants 10000% control...And skeptical Roy has lost the fire from his Colorado days to have absolutely zero input into roster moves.

At the same time Ledecky has said over that ownership won't interfere with the GM of the team because, "If you don't have faith in the GM then you don't have a GM." Of course what Ledecky says doesn't have to be what Malkin believes, but if Malkin got involved I can't imagine Lou is happy with that.

*Talking.*

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
I was watching the recaps of the games last night and in 3 of them they were talking about Roy and the Islanders while the play was going on. The buzz is real... let's hope it's not just buzz.

I still think they should have kept Holmstrom there longer. The chemistry was building. But, Holmstrom looks good with Pageau too.
I know I’m in the super minority here but I really don’t think Holmstrom has been all that. Feels like a fourth liner to me… been pretty invisible aside from the breakaways and those seem to be coming around less often as the league has gotten wise to what he’s about

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Anyone else catch this little, yet potentially telling/scary, nugget in the Post from a few days ago....?

Islanders players back Lane Lambert despite team’s woes

"After losing seven in a row then, the Islanders managed to turn things around and put together their best four weeks of the season.

Lamoriello was not on the road this week — assistant GM Chris Lamoriello took his father’s place on the four-city swing — and is not one to make his thinking on such matters public."

Maybe Lou was just meeting with Roy face to face to finalize things...Or maybe this really is a bigger story. Not sure why Lou would need to meet with Roy in person. Maybe something is happening with Malkin/Lou's power. Maybe he has a health issue.

Feels like something strange is up. This could be a very interesting next few months/summer offseason.

bstash19

Apr 8, 2012
long island
Anyone else catch this little, yet potentially telling/scary, nugget in the Post from a few days ago....?

"After losing seven in a row then, the Islanders managed to turn things around and put together their best four weeks of the season.

Lamoriello was not on the road this week — assistant GM Chris Lamoriello took his father’s place on the four-city swing — and is not one to make his thinking on such matters public."

Maybe Lou was just meeting with Roy face to face to finalize things...Or maybe this really is a bigger story. Not sure why Lou would need to meet with Roy in person. Maybe something is happening with Malkin/Lou's power. Maybe he has a health issue.

Feels like something strange is up. This could be a very interesting next few months/summer offseason.

I feel like Lou would definitely want to meet in person, when it comes to things like this. I don’t think there is more to the story than that.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010

Maybe he just had the flu?

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
I know Maclean earned it, but part of me thinks that he was the call up instead of Ishakov cause Lou knew that Lambert et al days were numbered and wanted to give father and son a chance to experience this. I know the W comes before anything else, but we needed a call up, and maybe they didn't want Barzal back at center. Just spit-ballin, but feel like it could have been done this way with that moment in mind.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Lou was meeting with Roy obviously.
Yeah, I'm sure it was meetings with Malkin, maybe Collins. They had to interview Roy. Make the decision to offer the job. Come to an agreement on terms. Keep the assistant coaches or not? Etc.. Tons needed to be done.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020

Look back at schedule. After Xmas, they had 5-6 embarrassing games, yeah two blips with AZ and TML, but spanked by PIT 2x, the Colorado loss, Vancouver spanking on home ice, and a broken Vegas team that ate the Isles.

Seems like Lou stayed behind to work on the Roy hire. Lambert was toast before the 4 game road trip. The team was playing awful with no sign of consistently playing better.

Now, make the change, 3 games ahead with SC contenders, try to distract from the bad, focus on the good. It’s a confidence game this week.

Lou also likes to make moves before the deadline too.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Look back at schedule. After Xmas, they had 5-6 embarrassing games, yeah two blips with AZ and TML, but spanked by PIT 2x, the Colorado loss, Vancouver spanking on home ice, and a broken Vegas team that ate the Isles.

Seems like Lou stayed behind to work on the Roy hire. Lambert was toast before the 4 game road trip. The team was playing awful with no sign of consistently playing better.

Now, make the change, 3 games ahead with SC contenders, try to distract from the bad, focus on the good. It’s a confidence game this week.

Lou also likes to make moves before the deadline too.

Of course all that might be right, but...Did Chris L. ever go on road trips solo prior to last week? That would be notable (and scary) if not.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Of course all that might be right, but...Did Chris L. ever go on road trips solo prior to last week? That would be notable (and scary) if not.
I think under Wang you could rightfully be bugged out over a Lou to Chris transition. Under Malkin and Collins? No.

Malkin hired Lou, one of the most winning
GMs and respected people in the league. They hired a SC Cup winning coach. They hired his assistant (100% normal). Then, they hire a Jack Adams winner and HOFer.

Chris ain’t getting near the GM post under this ownership group.

I get you hate everything Lou, but step back a bit and take in the above. That’s a commitment from ownership that has happened here only once before like 40 years ago.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
He's probably gonna resign this offseason. I feel it coming.

However, I dont think it'll be Chris. I feel like a general manager is still a long and arduous process for the team, especially when you have to replace Lamoriello.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
He's probably gonna resign this offseason. I feel it coming.

However, I dont think it'll be Chris. I feel like a general manager is still a long and arduous process for the team, especially when you have to replace Lamoriello.
If Roy is gonna be your coach, he’s the type of guy that needs to respect his boss (the GM), so that’s gonna limit the field quite a bit.

Isles would need a veteran GM to sit on top of Roy, no doubt.

Reactions: periferal
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad