Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I don't see the point making the high profile coaching change without upgrading the wing. Islanders have too many wingers that lack the kind of athleticism that is necessary to back off defenses.

imo NYI's "2nd" line were lucky to tie the game, because they were awful - Palmieri and Fasching are way too slow through the neutral zone. A winger for that line who can do something, anything, is now a necessity. (Fasching is fine as a depth winger. Palmieri really does not appear he can do it physically.)
And yet somehow the 2nd line is scoring again.

I said in the game thread that I don't like Fasching. I think he's a 4th line plug. But he and Palmieri are giving Nelson's line a wrecking ball feel to it. Partly because they stumble around more than skate, but they do power their way to the net. Maybe that's the ends justifying the means.:dunno:

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017

I said in the game thread that I don't like Fasching. I think he's a 4th line plug. But he and Palmieri are giving Nelson's line a wrecking ball feel to it. Partly because they stumble around more than skate, but they do power their way to the net. Maybe that's the ends justifying the means.:dunno:
Yes, in the full Miley Cyrus sense of it. They come in hard, turn it over, and get scored on.

Palmieri has been the worst wrt turnovers, and failed clears, and last night was no different.

Edit: I don't have a problem with Palmieri's approach, but it doesn't seem to me like one of those 'brain says he can do it, but his body can't' sort of things.

The Real JT

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss. :(
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut

I agree with you on Fasching.

Engvall is Oleg Kvasha. Every now and then you see something that gives you hope but inevitably you’re disappointed.

I’ve said this before but I’ll repeat myself. He’s exactly the type of player you don’t want in the playoffs. Soft. Soft. Soft.

In the absence of a hockey trade, I’d slot Parise on Nelson’s line. Hopefully we can squeeze one more productive year out of him. I also think that if Parise was previously on the fence, the Roy signing might motivate him to return.

Reactions: MJF

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Speed to go with Barzal and Horvat would reduce the focus on Barzal's speed as teams would need to focus on both sides opening more opportunities for all 3
Not sure why they aren’t at least trying Gauthier there. Not like Anders Lee is out here playing amazing off the puck. Seems like the dude probably has the skill to at least ride along on that line and cause some chaos for Barzy + Horvat to thrive off of. He can shoot the puck too. Maybe Roy will be the one to give his Quebecois compatriot the chance

Reactions: 12Dog

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
Not sure why they aren’t at least trying Gauthier there. Not like Anders Lee is out here playing amazing off the puck. Seems like the dude probably has the skill to at least ride along on that line and cause some chaos for Barzy + Horvat to thrive off of. He can shoot the puck too. Maybe Roy will be the one to give his Quebecois compatriot the chance
Have thought of this a bunch of times. Worth a look

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Roy hire killed the Lou isn’t allowed to hire two coaches by Malkin. Now, he gets an assistant too.

This is Malkin letting Lou do the hockey operations thing and fix a problem.
I can't speak for others, but when I posted about Lou hiring a new coach I specified that Lou would need to at least run it by Malkin since he'd be paying two salaries - and that would give Malkin the opportunity to say "no". The reason wouldn't necessarily be the two salaries - it could have just been that he didn't want Lou hiring a new coach. And we won't find out, but I am curious what Roy's contract terms are.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
I can't speak for others, but when I posted about Lou hiring a new coach I specified that Lou would need to at least run it by Malkin since he'd be paying two salaries - and that would give Malkin the opportunity to say "no". The reason wouldn't necessarily be the two salaries - it could have just been that he didn't want Lou hiring a new coach. And we won't find out, but I am curious what Roy's contract terms are.
Gonna guess here that Roy has an incentive laden deal with bonus money per winning round for this season only. Isles have an option window to retain him at the conclusion of the season.

For those that think Malkin wants an out on Lou, then this gives the Isles an out on Lou and Roy. My guess is Collins also was involved.

We have to remember, Roy was kryptonite as a NHL head coach due to how he left. No GM wants to hire that. Lou had the balls to do it.

Roy had no leverage on a deal. He needed an in, as mentioned the Isles are plum gig now, despite how the fans feel about the on ice product and Lou. Who was rushing to take CLB? Yeah…no one, hence Babcock.

The ‘he talked to two other teams’ is no more than his buddy floating that to generate some interest in him.

Reactions: Potvottier

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Gonna guess here that Roy has an incentive laden deal with bonus money per winning round for this season only. Isles have an option window to retain him at the conclusion of the season.

For those that think Malkin wants an out on Lou, then this gives the Isles an out on Lou and Roy. My guess is Collins also was involved.
This scenario makes a lot of sense. I was thinking a deal for the rest of this season with an Isles option for next year (perhaps with a salary bump, even factoring in pro rata games). I didn't think of the incentives for this year, but that makes a lot of sense.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I’d be surprised if Roy is only under contract through the rest of the season.

He’s doesn’t carry an interim tag and there were other teams interested in him.

Any new GM would love to go into their first year with a coach from the past GM because it’s an easy scapegoat if things don’t go your way.

Collins probably had an impact on Roy landing here and will 100% have an impact for the next GM.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
I’d be surprised if Roy is only under contract through the rest of the season.

He’s doesn’t carry an interim tag and there were other teams interested in him.

Any new GM would love to go into their first year with a coach from the past GM because it’s an easy scapegoat if things don’t go your way.

Collins probably had an impact on Roy landing here and will 100% have an impact for the next GM.
For Roy, he comes into an insulated situation with a team that can be fixed. He had no other options. Rookie GM Conroy is gonna hire him? No. On a rebuild Armstrong? No. Armstrong is on thin ice, but a coach ain’t gonna save him.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
I too would be surprised if he didn't sign a deal that takes him into 2024-2025. I get what you guys are saying but that's basically a PTO deal for a former Jack Adams winner.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
I too would be surprised if he didn't sign a deal that takes him into 2024-2025. I get what you guys are saying but that's basically a PTO deal for a former Jack Adams winner.
I don’t think Lou is getting canned in the summer. I do believe Roy has an incentive laden contract with a team option.

He’s been out of the coaching circle and league for 6 years. He had no leverage, the guy was practically grateful in his presser, a bit counter to his high octane confidence and compete level. He knew he screwed hjmself. There’s probably been 50 openings since he split on COL and no one called him.

Nassau Revisited

Jun 16, 2017
I agree with you on Fasching.

Engvall is Oleg Kvasha. Every now and then you see something that gives you hope but inevitably you’re disappointed.

I’ve said this before but I’ll repeat myself. He’s exactly the type of player you don’t want in the playoffs. Soft. Soft. Soft.

In the absence of a hockey trade, I’d slot Parise on Nelson’s line. Hopefully we can squeeze one more productive year out of him. I also think that if Parise was previously on the fence, the Roy signing might motivate him to return.
Spot on with Engvall. That is why a playoff bound Toronto traded him last season

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
For Roy, he comes into an insulated situation with a team that can be fixed. He had no other options. Rookie GM Conroy is gonna hire him? No. On a rebuild Armstrong? No. Armstrong is on thin ice, but a coach ain’t gonna save him.
It was being reported by Elliote Friedman that at least one other team was talking to him, my guess is the Leafs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad