Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
If Lou is actually on the hot seat I wonder if we see a rental this season. Don’t ask me why but I feel like we’re going to see something around Chychrun and Bolduc

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte
Yes...He could.

And despite the lack of scoring recently, forward is literally the least of our problems. The coaching, the defense (lack of talent/injuries), Sorokin's subpar year and all much bigger concerns. You fix those 3 things and I promise the forwards will be better.
Well hopefully the coaching was fixed. The defense just needs to get healthy. I think when healthy the defense is good enough to compete.

The forwards are not nearly good enough. They have a hard time completing 2 passes in a row. Lee, Pageau, Martin, Clutterbuck, Casey are all on the wrong side of 30 and either done or in decline. Barzal, Horvat, and Palmieri are all too inconsistent and disappear for games at a time. Nelson is 33 and needs a new contract after next season. There isn’t much to build around up front.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
If Lou is actually on the hot seat I wonder if we see a rental this season. Don’t ask me why but I feel like we’re going to see something around Chychrun and Bolduc
I was thinking about Lou being on the hot seat too. One curiosity about Roy's presser with Lou yesterday was that Patrick never mentioned Jon Ledecky, only principal owner Scott Malkin. It makes me wonder if Malkin has been leaning on Lou lately to get this team out of the mud it's stuck in. There has definitely been a malaise this season.

Nassau Revisited

Jun 16, 2017
I was thinking about Lou being on the hot seat too. One curiosity about Roy's presser with Lou yesterday was that Patrick never mentioned Jon Ledecky, only principal owner Scott Malkin. It makes me wonder if Malkin has been leaning on Lou lately to get this team out of the mud it's stuck in. There has definitely been a malaise this season.
I don’t think Lou is in the hot seat but Malkin wants results. No matter what I don’t think we will see Lou get fired he will “step down” or move into an advisory role when Lou wants to retire or when Malkin wants a new GM

Reactions: Throttle

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I don’t think Lou is in the hot seat but Malkin wants results. No matter what I don’t think we will see Lou get fired he will “step down” or move into an advisory role when Lou wants to retire or when Malkin wants a new GM
Either way Lou’s carte is not so blanche. The guy he has to answer to wants results. Can’t sell season tickets off of another first round exit.

And since nobody knows how long Lou’s extension really is (probably 1 year) any change with him will simply Lou saying he is stepping away from that role. We’ll never know if it’s because ownership was dissatisfied.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
I doubt Lou is going anywhere. If and when, they’ll do an organizational announcement with a new President (Collins), GM, and coach. Lou will stick around as an advisor.

There’s not going to be a gap in a search for a GM. While many don’t like Lou, he has made Malkin a TON of money and elevated the franchise from a dumpster fire into a legit NHL franchise.

I truly think Malkin also like thes brand of Roy - prominent person in hockey that keeps the Isles presence elevated.

The increase in valuation of the Isles has essentially paid for the village - Malkin is a smart man.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Because if more fans saw the way things are, as opposed to hanging on to false hope, then there's a greater chance Malkin/Ledecky would hear that and (necessary) change would happen (and happen sooner).

And if you're the type who thinks, "Owners never listen to fans. Your voice doesn't matter. They will do what they want regardless." Then let me share with you a story that happened in the sporting world from literally just this week...

Sporting Kansas City renege on director hire over fan backlash

You should read the entire article, but really the point is summed up in just the first sentence...

"Sporting Kansas City has terminated the contract of sporting director Gavin Wilkinson just over a week after his appointment following significant fan backlash."

And this is just one example of many over the years in sports where fans expressed themselves and owners made changes as a result. Does it always work? Of course not, but it certainly will never work if you don't do something different that just continuing to support a team that is being mismanaged/miscoached and going nowhere.

If you don't think if a significant portion of Isles fans got so upset with the direction of the team and as a result attendance dropped 20% (or more) for the foreseeable future and Malkin didn't consider making changes as a result, then not sure what else to say that would satisfy the your questions of why I am the way I am.
Fans can express their displeasure and it is great that they can have an impact and have their VOICES heard - and voices plural, not one voice -, but there is space for other opinions and perspectives. Your level of frustration for others who don't agree with you is what I am pointing out.

Here is the truth, you are not correct in your assessment, but you are also not wrong. For example, I believe there are many pieces on this team that prevent me from buying into a rebuild. IMO, Dobson is a 1 D, Sorokin is a Vezina-caliber Goalie, Nelson is the perfect 2C, Barzal is a special talent, Horvat is a top-line F, Pelech - Pulock is still a strong shutdown pair, etc. I can go on. Others will disagree - I am not right and they are not wrong. There is space for both opinions.

So, I am happy to be the poster boy for the optimistic poster - I like this team and recognized a coaching change was inevitable. I am very happy about and even mentioned Roy earlier in the season. I hope for a huge coach bump and we start to see some exciting Islander hockey for the rest for the season.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Well hopefully the coaching was fixed. The defense just needs to get healthy. I think when healthy the defense is good enough to compete.

The forwards are not nearly good enough. They have a hard time completing 2 passes in a row. Lee, Pageau, Martin, Clutterbuck, Casey are all on the wrong side of 30 and either done or in decline. Barzal, Horvat, and Palmieri are all too inconsistent and disappear for games at a time. Nelson is 33 and needs a new contract after next season. There isn’t much to build around up front.

Sure doesn’t sound like you’re endorsing the work Lou has done.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Re: Lou on the hot seat, I had speculated in the past weeks that Malkin might not want to commit long-term to a new coach under Lou - just to keep options open at all managerial levels in the next year or so. Roy is an interesting choice in that he has some cachet, won an Adams trophy and now a couple of Memorial Cups and seems to be a good fit for what's ailing the team on the one hand. On the other hand, being out of the NHL for 10 years he didn't necessarily require a lucrative, long term contract. I haven't seen any reports on the terms of his hiring, and we probably won't. But I'm wondering how long the Isles committed to him? In other words, is it possible he's signed on for just the rest of this season? Maybe next season too? In either case, that would be an easy one for Malkin to walk away from if it doesn't work out and he wants to clean house. Just speculating....

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Fortunately, in the East, if not the entire league, the needle doesn't have to move that far this year. :laugh:

Reactions: Throttle

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005

Not sure what his value is, but a Pelech+ for Chychrun deal makes sense

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
Re: Lou on the hot seat, I had speculated in the past weeks that Malkin might not want to commit long-term to a new coach under Lou - just to keep options open at all managerial levels in the next year or so. Roy is an interesting choice in that he has some cachet, won an Adams trophy and now a couple of Memorial Cups and seems to be a good fit for what's ailing the team on the one hand. On the other hand, being out of the NHL for 10 years he didn't necessarily require a lucrative, long term contract. I haven't seen any reports on the terms of his hiring, and we probably won't. But I'm wondering how long the Isles committed to him? In other words, is it possible he's signed on for just the rest of this season? Maybe next season too? In either case, that would be an easy one for Malkin to walk away from if it doesn't work out and he wants to clean house. Just speculating....
I haven’t heard anyone say interim coach Roy, so take that as you will.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
I don't see the point making the high profile coaching change without upgrading the wing. Islanders have too many wingers that lack the kind of athleticism that is necessary to back off defenses.

imo NYI's "2nd" line were lucky to tie the game, because they were awful - Palmieri and Fasching are way too slow through the neutral zone. A winger for that line who can do something, anything, is now a necessity. (Fasching is fine as a depth winger. Palmieri really does not appear he can do it physically.)

Reactions: MJF

The Wahligator

Nov 27, 2015
Long Island
Prediction: Pulock out the rest of the regular season, Lou uses LTIR space and trades Wahlstrom + 2nd to Ottawa for Tarasenko. Pulock returns for playoffs.

Barzal-Horvat-Tarasenko
Lee-Nelson-Palmieri
Engvall-Pageau-Holmstrom
Fasching-Cizikas-Clutterbuck

Romanov-Dobson
Pelech-Pulock
Reilly-Mayfield

Reactions: Lights911

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I don't see the point making the high profile coaching change without upgrading the wing. Islanders have too many wingers that lack the kind of athleticism that is necessary to back off defenses.

imo NYI's "2nd" line were lucky to tie the game, because they were awful - Palmieri and Fasching are way too slow through the neutral zone. A winger for that line who can do something, anything, is now a necessity. (Fasching is fine as a depth winger. Palmieri really does not appear he can do it physically.)
Anthony Duclair come on down. Great skater and played under Roy in junior. Could probably be had for Wahlstrom, then waive Aho and sign Parise…

Barzal-Horvat-Duclair
Lee-Nelson-Palmieri
Engvall-Pageau-Holmstrom
Parise-Cizikas-Gauthier
Clutterbuck, Fasching

Martin - IR

Reactions: Lights911 and mm11

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Prediction: Pulock out the rest of the regular season, Lou uses LTIR space and trades Wahlstrom + 2nd to Ottawa for Tarasenko. Pulock returns for playoffs.

Barzal-Horvat-Tarasenko
Lee-Nelson-Palmieri
Engvall-Pageau-Holmstrom
Fasching-Cizikas-Clutterbuck

Romanov-Dobson
Pelech-Pulock
Reilly-Mayfield
I'd prefer to get a winger for Nelson actually. Lee with Horvat and Barzy works. Get a winger for Nelson so we have dual threats.

Reactions: doublechili and MJF

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Fans can express their displeasure and it is great that they can have an impact and have their VOICES heard - and voices plural, not one voice -, but there is space for other opinions and perspectives. Your level of frustration for others who don't agree with you is what I am pointing out.

Here is the truth, you are not correct in your assessment, but you are also not wrong. For example, I believe there are many pieces on this team that prevent me from buying into a rebuild. IMO, Dobson is a 1 D, Sorokin is a Vezina-caliber Goalie, Nelson is the perfect 2C, Barzal is a special talent, Horvat is a top-line F, Pelech - Pulock is still a strong shutdown pair, etc. I can go on. Others will disagree - I am not right and they are not wrong. There is space for both opinions.

So, I am happy to be the poster boy for the optimistic poster - I like this team and recognized a coaching change was inevitable. I am very happy about and even mentioned Roy earlier in the season. I hope for a huge coach bump and we start to see some exciting Islander hockey for the rest for the season.

This is a fair post and I respect it. I agree with you that our opinions of the FUTURE cannot be right or wrong (yet). Only time will tell who was on the "right side of history."

That said we can look back and see who had it right/wrong with how the team was run a few years ago. I think you know that I was very vocal about how terrible and inept wang was and as a result wanted him/snow/capuano all gone. Most importantly I would have literally bet my life that we never would have come close to a Cup, much less win one, no matter how long they ran the team.

I think it's beyond safe to say that take was correct. The fact Malkin/Lou/Trotz came on board and, even losing Tavares, immediately led the team to more success over a 3 year period than Wang had over 20 years closes that door shut.

So yeah....I was pretty irate that fans either couldn't see how inept wang was, or believed that "one day" he/snow/capuano would magicvally get it right when all they kept proving to be was inept. I'm dying for just one Cup in my lifetime and that lifetime is probably more than have over. 25 years were totally wasted with no hope of that happening with the Gang of Four/Spano/Wang, so yeah I'm becoming more exasperated the less time I have on this earth.

So we will see how things shake out over the next 5-7 years, but get me on record that any shot we had at winning a Cup under this GM ended the day that Trotz left. He was literally the perfect coach to overcompensate for the significant holes of the roster that snow put together.

Yet because most of this roster went to back to back semifinals many fans think this same group can do the same (or better), but I believe they are discounting how truly special Trotz was, in addition to the fact that many of the same players...Are not the same. Palmieri, Pelech, Pageau, and the 4th line all look notably worse than they did during those runs. I think that has to do with age/attrition (and if so there's no coming back from that), but we'll see if Roy can get them playing to a level close to a few years back. My thing is that assuming it is age/attrition that is affecting some of the players' play, then it behooves this team to add some youth to compensate for that.

So that's an overview of my take. And I don't even think it's as much of a take as just looking at the way things are and drawing sensible conclusions.

I do think we can finally have hope now as Malkin has proved himself to be at least a competent, if not stellar, owner and we're being run like a top-level organization for the first time in the modern era. He did more in 2-3 years than wang could've ever done. He improved the team in ever aspect. We have the arena, we have the facilities, we have the finances, and the team is decent. Now I just want him to improve the organization at the GM position.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Anthony Duclair come on down. Great skater and played under Roy in junior. Could probably be had for Wahlstrom, then waive Aho and sign Parise…

Barzal-Horvat-Duclair
Lee-Nelson-Palmieri
Engvall-Pageau-Holmstrom

Parise-Cizikas-Gauthier
Clutterbuck, Fasching

Martin - IR

That second line does not have a playmaker/puck carrier. Engvall specifically plays that role, so if you want the second line to be able to do anything you have to keep that in mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad