Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
If lou is really gonna dig his feet in and not fire Lambert this year, it pains me to no end to say this as an Islanders fan, but I hope we freefall as far as possible to the bottom of the standings so we can get a nice first round prospect out of it. Fire the coach and front office in the summer, start fresh and go from there.
Man, feels so good to see these posts again. Like a warm blanket.

Zeeker

Feb 15, 2016
That should push them to 18 on the power rankings because NHL gonna NHL.
So now we’re annoyed at the NHL for not respecting the Islanders imaginary win streak (which most likely won’t happen)?

Are the 19 wins in 44 games Islanders not getting enough respect in the power rankings currently?

Zeeker

Feb 15, 2016
Getting ready to tune out again?

If we're out of playoff contention? You bet. I'll let you revel in the tanking. I have too many other things to occupy my limited free time.
Why is this always the response? When the Islanders win a couple games, these guys are always ready to smugly belittle others.

Once the Islanders fall back to Earth, there’s never a “maybe I was wrong” response. But instead, “oh I actually don’t really care, there’s more to life than hockey.” Which, of course, but this forum is about hockey.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
So now we’re annoyed at the NHL for not respecting the Islanders imaginary win streak (which most likely won’t happen)?

Are the 19 wins in 44 games Islanders not getting enough respect in the power rankings currently?
I considering they’re one of the harder teams to beat in regulation and an 8-1-1 win streak would help prove that even more, I’d say it’s respectable to be annoyed.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Why is this always the response? When the Islanders win a couple games, these guys are always ready to smugly belittle others.

Once the Islanders fall back to Earth, there’s never a “maybe I was wrong” response. But instead, “oh I actually don’t really care, there’s more to life than hockey.” Which, of course, but this forum is about hockey.
I do care but not nearly as much when we're not a playoff team.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
A little disagreement . . . the 6 below were not forced to be given up, they were normal trade pieces and Raty is still a possible impact player

Raty
Durandeau
Burroughs
Greer
Jobst
Quenneville

Of those 6 only Raty had any sort of value as an NHL player. All the other deals were made for AHL/CBA purposes outside of improving the roster for a Cup run.

Small fun fact: Pageau trade had the 3rd being conditional on winning the Cup, but since we didn't give it up, that was the pick we used for Quinn Finley.

The two players Ottawa picked are Ridley Grieg (28th overall in 2020-small impact so far), and Ronnie Hirvonen, who is now in Toronto's organization and hasn't played an NHL game so far. The 2020 draft looks pretty bad after the top picks so it was a good year to trade those picks.

Before the season, I thought Isk would be a trade piece like Raty if the right deal came along, so there is that possibility.

It's not about what other teams do with our picks once we trade them. It's about...Did we maximize the asset that we traded away.

Example...In the deal that snow made during the Vegas expansion draft he traded a 1st rounder that Vegas used to select Erik Branstrom. Now the jury is out on him, but in 2019 he was considered a blue-chip prospect and was used as the centerpiece of a deal to get Mark Stone from Ottawa.

I sure as hell would've rather just let Vegas select Strome, de Haan, or even Pelech so that we'd later have the kind of assets that would've landed us Mark Stone.

Unfortunately the snow and Lou tenures are littered with deals where they did not maximize the picks trade (and certainly not the ones kept and made).

BTW Perif, public congratulations to your Wolverines for winning the title!

Thank you my friend. I was there. Beyond glorious. :)

Happy Friday, everyone. Is he fired yet?

Serious question...

How much longer are you going to keep asking this before you start questioning if the person who hired him might be the one who needs to be fired?

Someone please think about the Draft Party!

Who cares about going to a party where the 1st pick you see your team make is in the 4th round?

Reactions: Ishkabible

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

Zeeker-

Just want to say your posts have been on fire recently. Really on point

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
Of those 6 only Raty had any sort of value as an NHL player. All the other deals were made for AHL/CBA purposes outside of improving the roster for a Cup run.

It's not about what other teams do with our picks once we trade them. It's about...Did we maximize the asset that we traded away.

Example...In the deal that snow made during the Vegas expansion draft he traded a 1st rounder that Vegas used to select Erik Branstrom. Now the jury is out on him, but in 2019 he was considered a

Serious question...

How much longer are you going to keep asking this before you start questioning if the person who hired him might be the one who needs to be fired?

Who cares about going to a party where the 1st pick you see your team make is in the 4th round?

Example...In the deal that snow made during the Vegas expansion draft he traded a 1st rounder that Vegas used to select Erik Branstrom. Now the jury is out on him, but in 2019 he was considered a blue-chip prospect and was used as the centerpiece of a deal to get Mark Stone from Ottawa.

I sure as hell would've rather just let Vegas select Strome, de Haan, or even Pelech so that we'd later have the kind of assets that would've landed us Mark Stone.

Unfortunately the snow and Lou tenures are littered with deals where they did not maximize the picks trade (and certainly not the ones kept and made).

Thank you my friend. I was there. Beyond glorious. :)

Serious question...

Who are you assuming I'm asking to be fired?

Reactions: Levi Walking Bear

MetsJetsIsles22

Oct 27, 2013
If memory serves, I think we had a deal in place for Stone and he did not want to come here, and chose Vegas....so while I won't argue your premise, we need players to want to join who have a NMC and that has been very few if any in the last few decades

Reactions: Throttle

Top Corner

Feb 27, 2002
Mtl
Visit site
There are many here who felt when Lou arrived it was the best thing that could ever of happened to this team, it certainly helped to secure a bonafide coach but in reality it was a hall of fame gentlemen that didn’t know when to hang them up.
I’m not sure even the most optimistic yet realistic hockey fan who knows his stuff can figure how to reset this club fast with all the invaluable long contracts , average players and no good prospects . Deep down it’s a mess

The Real JT

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss. :(
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Before the season I thought anyone who was optimistic about this team was in denial.

I think it's even worse now.
Before the season, I was more pessimistic than many here but you had me beat hands down.

Just like our playoff caliber play earlier in the season wasn’t a true reflection of our abilities, the same can be said about our current tailspin.

A better coach could guide this team to the playoffs. That’s not Lambert.

Irrespective of this season’s results and whoever is the coach, my biggest concern remains the talent level on this squad. It was time to retool one and possibly two seasons ago. We missed opportunities to flip assets in the past. I can only hope Lou has learned that lesson.

Nassau Revisited

Jun 16, 2017
Before the season, I was more pessimistic than many here but you had me beat hands down.

Just like our playoff caliber play earlier in the season wasn’t a true reflection of our abilities, the same can be said about our current tailspin.

A better coach could guide this team to the playoffs. That’s not Lambert.

Irrespective of this season’s results and whoever is the coach, my biggest concern remains the talent level on this squad. It was time to retool one and possibly two seasons ago. We missed opportunities to flip assets in the past. I can only hope Lou has learned that lesson.
Nelson is one of the the few tradable assets we have without adding in a sweetener. I think we see him locked up by Lou until age 38 unfortunately

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
There are many here who felt when Lou arrived it was the best thing that could ever of happened to this team, it certainly helped to secure a bonafide coach but in reality it was a hall of fame gentlemen that didn’t know when to hang them up.
I’m not sure even the most optimistic yet realistic hockey fan who knows his stuff can figure how to reset this club fast with all the invaluable long contracts , average players and no good prospects . Deep down it’s a mess

It was the best thing that could've happened at that time. And let's not pretend that it wasn't a great few years with Lou at the helm in the first half of his tenure. But nothing lasts forever. I'm not even necessarily saying he's got to go at this very moment, but it's something ownership may have to consider if he doesn't realize that something needs to change with this roster, and more immediately behind the bench.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad