Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

Status
Not open for further replies.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
I was listening to Jeff Marek show this morning and maybe this is just smoke but he mentioned the Flames possibly moving a top 6 and then speculated about Lindholm? Pagnotta echoed that as well - Lindholm would be a crazy good add and at 4.85!
If he is made available, then a 1st + Wahlstrom+?

Realistic targets at this point maybe Kulikov, Edmundson, and possibly Klingberg (at the right price), Krug? Bailey and retention if that move was made… Leddy2.0? Karlsson in a crazy trade scenario. McDonagh would be a great fit for Dobson as mentioned by @CupHolders but the Nashville would have to take Bailey back and possibly retain.

I see Grant as a fit for C depth.

Trades for top 6 who scene change - Garland Boeser - not a big fan of Boeser but would grab Garland - Van even floated the idea of a buyout. Would Van do Bailey and ‘24 second for Garland?

Unfortunately, I don’t see any other potential moves
Actually if Calgary decided to sell-off… there are a number of good players that would fit the Isles.

Hanifin would be a good second pair LD. Have always been a fan of Toffoli. Lindholm is likely Calgary’s best player. All are on two year deals followed by UFA.

Reactions: The Real JT

The Real JT

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss. :(
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Derrick F’n Brassard just scored his 10th goal in 48 games for the Red Wings. He gets 12 minutes 42 seconds of ice time a game.

Kyle Palmieri has 9 goals in 37 games getting 16 minutes 57 seconds of ice time a game.

This is also why you don't just look at stats. Anyone who watches the games can clearly tell who is a second line player.
If your point is that stats don’t fully compare those two players then I agree.

Brassard isn’t much at this point but as I speak his 10 now 11 goals stand out vs Palmieri who admittedly is still a better player.

Palmieri has strength, a decent shot and he knows where to position himself near the goal. Unfortunately he also has no ability to create his own shot and he’s slow. He’s now 32 and has 2.5 years left on a $5M AAV deal.

No bueno.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Actually if Calgary decided to sell-off… there are a number of good players that would fit the Isles.

Hanifin would be a good second pair LD. Have always been a fan of Toffoli. Lindholm is likely Calgary’s best player. All are on two year deals followed by UFA.
I found it hard to believe that they would sell, but I know there is some major disappointment in the team performance - IMO, I thought Sutter would get fired before the team sells.

Lindholm is their best player but this goes back to can they resign him long term.

IMO, Mayfield gets resigned and we might see something like we saw with Cal and Parise last year.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I was sitting and doing some thinking: what if we treat the returns of Pageau and Barzal are the big trade deadline acquisitions for the stretch run? :)

It would be right out of the snow playbook.

Any chance we can send Lane and a 2nd for an upgrade at coach?

Derrick F’n Brassard just scored his 10th goal in 48 games for the Red Wings. He gets 12 minutes 42 seconds of ice time a game.

Kyle Palmieri has 9 goals in 37 games getting 16 minutes 57 seconds of ice time a game.

QUIET!!!!!

Lou is gonna trade another 1st for him.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Schmaltz might be traded for less than some people are guessing, but I'm not sure Lou is the guy to get him. Lou seems to go for size and/or grit on the wing. I don't think Schmaltz has much of either.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
It would be right out of the snow playbook.

Any chance we can send Lane and a 2nd for an upgrade at coach?

QUIET!!!!!

Lou is gonna trade another 1st for him.

I would love to know what the criticism you have of Lane. And please refrain from talking points- like “he’s in over his head.”

If anything Lane has shown some grit these last few weeks - with a weaker coach the team could have easily folded in on itself. With a weaker coach you could see the Isles play far-less disciplined hockey- even with their warts this year they are still a well-structured team. The Metro and the east in general is a beast and he’s got this team pulling in the right direction

Reactions: Glory Days

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com

Such a strange comment...

We're a first round exit even if we add a defenseman.
With what Boston is doing the entire NHL would be a first round exit against them....

SI

Feb 16, 2013
I think Bertuzzi would be a great fit here.
He’ll hit the open market and get somewhere in the 5-5.5 range.

Does anyone think Lou adds more than just a depth F or D man?

BalButtercluck

Nov 22, 2017
Long Island
Honestly I think we are done. For better or worse, this is the team we have down the stretch. Mayfield and Varly, and Parise stay, we dont make any moves. Not what I want, hope I'm wrong, but thats my expectation.

And after seeing the standings tonight. Its going to be really, really hard for us to even make the playoffs. I think the next 3 games determine that pretty clearly.

We shall see.

LGI

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
95% sure Lou is pretty much done, unless a PMD falls into his lap in the final hours of the deadline, much cheaper than expected.

Fully expecting him to resign Mayfield and Varly to ensure the same team comes back being mediocre next year and beyond.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
I think Bertuzzi would be a great fit here.
He’ll hit the open market and get somewhere in the 5-5.5 range.

Does anyone think Lou adds more than just a depth F or D man?

Martinek and Satan seen skating in East Meadow . Those guys would also bring the teams avg age back up to 35 + where uncle Lou likes it

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Ryan McAllister and Jake Livingston would be the top 2 targets. Also Like Big Center Jaxson Nelson.

Parker Ford was highly sought last year and again this year.

I think there are a lot of suitors for Livingstone.

The isles are currently at 45 of the 50 contracts. Since we need to accept that draft NYI picks are basically just poker-chip style currency, it would be nice to see the system supplemented with a promising college UFA. Looking at who should or may be around for BPort next season, there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of space.

What does pop out at me is that there are 2-3 very interesting goaltenders available. We've heard of Östman and one has to think Perets is getting signed, but it wouldn't be surprising if a guy like Semptimphelter is targeted.

The numbers put up by Pietila this year are eye-guaging (9 shoutouts to boot!), but he's a spit in the bucket sizewise.

Last edited:
Reactions: xECK29x and SI90

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
95% sure Lou is pretty much done, unless a PMD falls into his lap in the final hours of the deadline, much cheaper than expected.

I wouldn't have minded something like Anders Bjork for future considerations.

Fully expecting him to resign Mayfield and Varly to ensure the same team comes back being mediocre next year and beyond.

I expect it too. Of course, only if Varly is ready to accept the ca. 1.7 MM per as a pure back-up.

And honestly, that doesn't appear to be the wisest decision on his behalf. He can still get more and a more promising situation on the free market. But who knows how comfortable he is right now.

I can see Mayfield getting a Cizikas-style deal, to be honest. I'd love to see him stay.

As far as how mediocre the Isles are, much would change if we simply had a sniper on the wing. Wahlstrom and Palms were the hopefuls in that department. We simply need a guy who will shoot 5+ times per game and if he's given time, will hit a sweet spot just about every time.

This said, gotta classify Nelson as a sniper by this point. Someone else has to get in on the action.

Reactions: periferal

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany

I see Grant as a fit for C depth.

Trades for top 6 who scene change - Garland Boeser - not a big fan of Boeser but would grab Garland - Van even floated the idea of a buyout. Would Van do Bailey and ‘24 second for Garland?

Unfortunately, I don’t see any other potential moves

Those are the ones Lou likes to make...

If this is true we are truely caught in "No Man's Land". Not bad enought to draft high, not good enough to make a run...

In this year's case, not bad enough to draft in the first round, not good enough to make a run...

Reactions: periferal
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad