Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarsTBOW

Jun 30, 2014
Ct.
So what if..... This is it? Worth it to not trade Our UFA's? I think Lou knows if he can resign who is a UFA, However all it takes is one Foolish GM to offer the Sun Moon and Stars for somebody to cash in.... I think we need to replace Aho otherwise it's a disaster....

The Wahligator

Nov 27, 2015
Long Island
So what if..... This is it? Worth it to not trade Our UFA's? I think Lou knows if he can resign who is a UFA, However all it takes is one Foolish GM to offer the Sun Moon and Stars for somebody to cash in.... I think we need to replace Aho otherwise it's a disaster....
If we do not add a defenseman we’re a first round exit no doubt.

Reactions: MarsTBOW

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
I just feel that McDonagh would give you a better version of Dobson in the long run too.

Provorov, feel’s much like Pulock… quality player, but a little underwhelming at the price. And, I’m a bigger fan of Pulock than most around here. I still rate him over Mayfield and think some of the criticisms about his defense are a little overblown.

Completely agree on Pulock. I think he is far better than Mayfield. Id rather not resign Mayfield, i think his best days are behind him. I do think Mcdonaugh would help Dobson, but I wish he was 5 years younger so we could get some great years out of him. Id love add another younger player that can be added to the young core of Dobson, Barzal, Horvat, Sorokin.

Reactions: CupHolders

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
I think we are a good LD and another good top 6 forward away from having a fighters chance. And that assumes we get healthy.
I just want to get in, not because I think there will be a massive upset. As a fan, it's just fun to root for success and to appreciate, especially after all that went on last season, a playoff berth would be an achievement. I'd rather get in and get my ass kicked then watch someone else from the sidelines because I wasn't good enough to make it

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
I just want to get in, not because I think there will be a massive upset. As a fan, it's just fun to root for success and to appreciate, especially after all that went on last season, a playoff berth would be an achievement. I'd rather get in and get my ass kicked then watch someone else from the sidelines because I wasn't good enough to make it
Arbour said ‘all you need is a ticket in’, or something to that effect.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island

I get thay, but with all the moving pieces trading for a Provorov or a Schmaltz is both a short term and longterm move. Helps us get in now, but improves the outlook for next year and beyond.

Chokabloc

Nov 25, 2021
NJ
Completely agree on Pulock. I think he is far better than Mayfield. Id rather not resign Mayfield, i think his best days are behind him. I do think Mcdonaugh would help Dobson, but I wish he was 5 years younger so we could get some great years out of him. Id love add another younger player that can be added to the young core of Dobson, Barzal, Horvat, Sorokin.
Mayfield would provide good value to a number of teams looking to get "heavy" for the playoffs, but Lou needs him in case the Isles make it. Maybe he brings back a 2 and a 3. Some non playoff teams will overvalue at a 1. Either resign him at $4(+ a bit) for 2-3 years or let him test the market. Despite a tendency to turn the puck over, his stat line (check out Natural Stat Trick) has been steadily increasing each year....as has his TOI. So to say his "best days are behind him is statistically incorrect. Pulock is still a consistent player but hides a bit come playoffs. At 6 and change, we should expect a much higher offensive output. Even Pelech has slipped since his pre contract days, but he works well with Mayfield and they have a history playing together since Bridgeport. Dobson is a liability on D, at least for now. As is Aho who is not build to handle the more physical, faster play in April and May. So....maybe unload the 6 and change, give Dobson another year, figure out who among Aho, Wortherspoon, and Bolduc are expendable and worry about doing something this summer.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
Mayfield would provide good value to a number of teams looking to get "heavy" for the playoffs, but Lou needs him in case the Isles make it. Maybe he brings back a 2 and a 3. Some non playoff teams will overvalue at a 1. Either resign him at $4(+ a bit) for 2-3 years or let him test the market. Despite a tendency to turn the puck over, his stat line (check out Natural Stat Trick) has been steadily increasing each year....as has his TOI. So to say his "best days are behind him is statistically incorrect. Pulock is still a consistent player but hides a bit come playoffs. At 6 and change, we should expect a much higher offensive output. Even Pelech has slipped since his pre contract days, but he works well with Mayfield and they have a history playing together since Bridgeport. Dobson is a liability on D, at least for now. As is Aho who is not build to handle the more physical, faster play in April and May. So....maybe unload the 6 and change, give Dobson another year, figure out who among Aho, Wortherspoon, and Bolduc are expendable and worry about doing something this summer.

I dont think Lou will sell any ufas. I wouldnt mind a 3 year contract for Mayfield, i just dont want to see a long 5+ year contract for him. I think Pulock is still a very capable top 4 defenseman, being a RD makes him even more valuable, but I would listen to offers for him. If the right offer comes around I would move him, but no earlier than the offseason.

Agreed. That's the blessing of the Horvat move. I only wish Lou would have done it earlier

Agreed a couple months earlier and we likely have an additional 4-6 points.

It would be great if we could figure out how to score a goal in the shootout. We have wasted alot of points this year, we cant afford to keep letting them get away.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
I get thay, but with all the moving pieces trading for a Provorov or a Schmaltz is both a short term and longterm move. Helps us get in now, but improves the outlook for next year and beyond.
Couldn't figure out what game to DVR tonight and only have the time for 1 after karate, post wife bedtime viewing. Went with Fla/Nash just based on today's standings

Gonna be a fun next few weeks. At least we're in it this season

My kid had some podcast on that I was half listening to while cooking dinner. The "Islanders play better without Barzal " crowd is rustling.

I dont think Lou will sell any ufas. I wouldnt mind a 3 year contract for Mayfield, i just dont want to see a long 5+ year contract for him. I think Pulock is still a very capable top 4 defenseman, being a RD makes him even more valuable, but I would listen to offers for him. If the right offer comes around I would move him, but no earlier than the offseason.

Agreed a couple months earlier and we likely have an additional 4-6 points.

It would be great if we could figure out how to score a goal in the shootout. We have wasted alot of points this year, we cant afford to keep letting them get away.
Always good catching up Wangster....off to the dojo. I'll be back around after tonight's action!

Reactions: WangMustGo

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
Couldn't figure out what game to DVR tonight and only have the time for 1 after karate, post wife bedtime viewing. Went with Fla/Nash just based on today's standings

Gonna be a fun next few weeks. At least we're in it this season

My kid had some podcast on that I was half listening to while cooking dinner. The "Islanders play better without Barzal " crowd is rustling.

Always good catching up Wangster....off to the dojo. I'll be back around after tonight's action!

Its alot more fun watching them in it this year, just hope we can make a good push and grab that 1st wildcard spot.

Alot of fools thinking that way, Barzal is a catalyst, he has his faults, but come playoff time we need him.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
I'd like to see Lou add a top-6 winger and depth D man tomorrow. Unlikely to happen, but I'll at least be content with a D man stopgap. Just don't have faith in this offense.

The Wahligator

Nov 27, 2015
Long Island
I'd like to see Lou add a top-6 winger and depth D man tomorrow. Unlikely to happen, but I'll at least be content with a D man stopgap. Just don't have faith in this offense.
We’ve had offensive success in the playoffs with a much weaker forward group than the current one, to be fair. The defense needs an upgrade desperately though. You cannot put Aho out there game 1.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
I'm an idiot, completely misread it as WITH a noticeable limp. My bad :laugh::laugh:
You are not an idiot. It was a terrible sentence lol. Grammar was fine, but how many peeps are going to go around making sentences like, "Did you see Harry walk in without a noticeable hickey on his neck today?" And this from a journalist. How about, "Saw Barzal at the practice facility and the limp from last week is no longer there. "

Reactions: The Wahligator

The Real JT

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss. :(
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Derrick F’n Brassard just scored his 10th goal in 48 games for the Red Wings. He gets 12 minutes 42 seconds of ice time a game.

Kyle Palmieri has 9 goals in 37 games getting 16 minutes 57 seconds of ice time a game.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Derrick F’n Brassard just scored his 10th goal in 48 games for the Red Wings. He gets 12 minutes 42 seconds of ice time a game.

Kyle Palmieri has 9 goals in 37 games getting 16 minutes 57 seconds of ice time a game.

This is also why you don't just look at stats. Anyone who watches the games can clearly tell who is a second line player.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
We’ve had offensive success in the playoffs with a much weaker forward group than the current one, to be fair. The defense needs an upgrade desperately though. You cannot put Aho out there game 1.

It's getting to the playoffs I'm concerned about. Don't have faith in the offense. I like the structure they've shown over the past few weeks on the D side though.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
I was listening to Jeff Marek show this morning and maybe this is just smoke but he mentioned the Flames possibly moving a top 6 and then speculated about Lindholm? Pagnotta echoed that as well - Lindholm would be a crazy good add and at 4.85!
If he is made available, then a 1st + Wahlstrom+?

Realistic targets at this point maybe Kulikov, Edmundson, and possibly Klingberg (at the right price), Krug? Bailey and retention if that move was made… Leddy2.0? Karlsson in a crazy trade scenario. McDonagh would be a great fit for Dobson as mentioned by @CupHolders but the Nashville would have to take Bailey back and possibly retain.

I see Grant as a fit for C depth.

Trades for top 6 who scene change - Garland Boeser - not a big fan of Boeser but would grab Garland - Van even floated the idea of a buyout. Would Van do Bailey and ‘24 second for Garland?

Unfortunately, I don’t see any other potential moves

Reactions: CupHolders
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad