Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

Status
Not open for further replies.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
And also consider that the Bruins have 7 UFAs this offseason...Just on offense! That includes Pastrnak Bergeron, and Krejci (and the latter 2 might retire).

They are rightly all-in this offseason because it could start getting ugly for them as early as next season.

I was looking at that too.

For fun, let's just say that those three aren't back next year. Their forward group becomes Marchand, Hall, Coyle, DeBrusk, and Zacha. That's quite a step down on the depth department when you need to slide most of those guys up.

Their defense is locked up though.

Edit:

Aaaand there goes that. :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Top Corner

Feb 27, 2002
Mtl
Visit site
The sad thing is if we don't make the playoffs, as it stands, we really have nothing left that would change the outlook for 2023-24 season outside of Horvat for 82 games but no scorers coming, goaltending on expiring contracts, up against the cap... We are kind of stuck in the mud with an average team that has above average goaltending that we hope will resign.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
The sad thing is if we don't make the playoffs, as it stands, we really have nothing left that would change the outlook for 2023-24 season outside of Horvat for 82 games but no scorers coming, goaltending on expiring contracts, up against the cap... We are kind of stuck in the mud with an average team that has above average goaltending that we hope will resign.

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
What's Lou gonna do?

I mean "all in" for that 8th spot instead of selling and focusing on the future, he has got to do more; yes?

And let's be realistic here, it will be that 8th spot and a first round battle with a team looking to set the single season wins and points record (on pace for 64 wins and 135 points which would beat the 62/132 records)....

who just added Bertuzzi lol

Team- Games Played- Points:

7. Islanders- 64-70
8. Penguins- 60-69
X. Sabres- 59-66
X. Panthers- 62-66

Assuming you hold off the Senators (60-64) and this spells the end of the Red Wings chances (also 60-64) it is absolutely foolish to think you are hanging on to that 7th spot with three teams with a combined 11 games in hand and separated by a mere 4 points. That is also assuming the Capitals (63-66) roll over and die as well.

What, a less than 35% chance we even make it in my guess is the 7th seed chances are less than 5% right now....

Ugh

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
What's Lou gonna do?

I mean "all in" for that 8th spot instead of selling and focusing on the future, he has got to do more; yes?

And let's be realistic here, it will be that 8th spot and a first round battle with a team looking to set the single season wins and points record (on pace for 64 wins and 135 points which would beat the 62/132 records)....

7. Islanders- 64-70
8. Penguins- 60-69
X. Sabres- 59-66
X. Panthers- 62-66

Assuming you hold off the Senators (60-64) and this spells the end of the Red Wings chances (also 60-64) it is absolutely foolish to think you are hanging on to that 7th spot with three teams with a combined 11 games in hand and separated by a mere 4 points. That is also assuming the Capitals (63-66) roll over and die as well.

What, a less than 35% chance we even make it in my guess is the 7th seed chances are less than 5% right now....

Ugh

Why are you combining games in hand?

I don't think Lamoriello needs to do more, but he can if it's a longer term move. Otherwise you just ride out the season. It's that simple.

Reactions: doublechili

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
What's Lou gonna do?

7. Islanders- 64-70
8. Penguins- 60-69
X. Sabres- 59-66
X. Panthers- 62-66

Ugh
All in for the 8th spot? More like the platoon leader looking for volunteers and everyone else stepped back 3 steps.

Reactions: SayItAintSoJohnny

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
Why are you combining games in hand?

I don't think Lamoriello needs to do more, but he can if it's a longer term move. Otherwise you just ride out the season. It's that simple.
Just to reiterate that there are MANY teams and they all have MANY games in hand. There was no other secret formula meant by that statement.

And no, you should have sold. Got whatever assets you could for Mayfield, Sorokin or anyone else on the roster (aside from Sorokin, Barzal, Dobson). Sure, we all are ok with the Horvat trade and any other deal that helps us long term but the Engvall trade is likely a rental and just cost us another 3rd rounder (down to 3 picks left the next two Drafts in the first 3 rounds with a bone dry prospect pool as is).

Drive 4 Five

Sep 5, 2006
I think Lou makes a move on defense. He's already gone out and got 1 top tier forward and 1 supporting forward. I was thinking Gostisbehere but Carolina snagged him. I would not be shocked if Lou is thinking Erik Karlsson. He's got a boat of a contract that needs retention, some injury history, but would be a true game changer on our backend and would be a contributor for a few years. No idea what San Jose is looking for but I definitely see Lou at least giving them a call and kicking the tires.

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
I think Lou makes a move on defense. He's already gone out and got 1 top tier forward and 1 supporting forward. I was thinking Gostisbehere but Carolina snagged him. I would not be shocked if Lou is thinking Erik Karlsson. He's got a boat of a contract that needs retention, some injury history, but would be a true game changer on our backend and would be a contributor for a few years. No idea what San Jose is looking for but I definitely see Lou at least giving them a call and kicking the tires.
Same, he adds a PMD and maybe gets another forward for a discount.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
All in for the 8th spot? More like the platoon leader looking for volunteers and everyone else stepped back 3 steps.

We should just break down all the teams around us right now and evaluate if they got better.

Pittsburgh: Did they get better so far at the deadline? Kapanen and Blueger out, Granlund in. I think their depth is going to be as bad or worse and I'm not convinced Granlund is fixing their woes.

Buffalo: They've done pretty much nothing. They got Riley Stillman. Their goaltending isn't good. A team on the rise for sure, but will they be consistent enough down the stretch with a tight schedule to get in?

Florida: Hot and cold all season, Duclair just came back so that'll help them a little bit. They've made no other moves.

Washington: They're selling. Lost Orlov, Hathaway, Gustafsson, Eller, Johansson.

Ottawa: Added Chychrun, which is a big deal, but that's the only move they've made. An up and coming team but another inconsistent one.

Detroit: They've moved Bertuzzi and Hronek, haven't done anything else. Does removing pieces, even these ones, make them better than they've been? Another very inconsistent team.

I'm not saying that these teams have no chance, they obviously do, but most of them haven't done anything that would require the Islanders to do anything more to outpace them. There are games left against some of these teams too which will play a huge factor for which teams stay in the hunt and which teams fall out.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
Boston has 10 mil in cap space next year with 13 players signed. Bergeron and Krejci UFAs. Interesting predicament!

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Just to reiterate that there are MANY teams and they all have MANY games in hand. There was no other secret formula meant by that statement.

It's just a weird way of looking at it since no team has that many.

And no, you should have sold. Got whatever assets you could for Mayfield, Sorokin or anyone else on the roster (aside from Sorokin, Barzal, Dobson). Sure, we all are ok with the Horvat trade and any other deal that helps us long term but the Engvall trade is likely a rental and just cost us another 3rd rounder (down to 3 picks left the next two Drafts in the first 3 rounds with a bone dry prospect pool as is).

I'm going to assume you mean Varlamov and not Sorokin, but this isn't that big of a deal. This seems like a lot of emotion all over two players not being sold off (two good players). Washington is selling everything, the Islanders aren't in a position to do that.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
We should just break down all the teams around us right now and evaluate if they got better.

Pittsburgh: Did they get better so far at the deadline? Kapanen and Blueger out, Granlund in. I think their depth is going to be as bad or worse and I'm not convinced Granlund is fixing their woes.

Buffalo: They've done pretty much nothing. They got Riley Stillman. Their goaltending isn't good. A team on the rise for sure, but will they be consistent enough down the stretch with a tight schedule to get in?

Florida: Hot and cold all season, Duclair just came back so that'll help them a little bit. They've made no other moves.

Washington: They're selling. Lost Orlov, Hathaway, Gustafsson, Eller, Johansson.

Ottawa: Added Chychrun, which is a big deal, but that's the only move they've made. An up and coming team but another inconsistent one.

Detroit: They've moved Bertuzzi and Hronek, haven't done anything else. Does removing pieces, even these ones, make them better than they've been? Another very inconsistent team.

I'm not saying that these teams have no chance, they obviously do, but most of them haven't done anything that would require the Islanders to do anything more to outpace them. There are games left against some of these teams too which will play a huge factor for which teams stay in the hunt and which teams fall out.
My thoughts as well. Ottawa making moves for the future but still needs to shore up their goaltending, yet have an outside shot of getting back in this year’s wild card hunt. The other teams that have made trades still have holes in key areas that the Islanders don’t.

It’s almost as if the Islanders can make the 8th seed by default.

Lou should start buying now and shoot for the 7 seed :laugh:

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I think I saw top 10, but regardless I'm an idiot who didn't realize it was a 2024 and not a 2023. I'm sitting here scratching my head as to why they'd even waste the ink for this year since they could not win another game and probably get into the playoffs. Protection on next year's pick makes way more sense. :laugh:

Hall to LTIR, ready for when the playoffs begin?
There it is.

Reactions: MJF

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.

Games in hand are like saying a baseball team is only back X amount of games in the loss column

Those games can be lost just as easily as won. Case in point Buffao at Boston tonight. Game in hand goes bye bye and if things go according to form, 2 points are not gained

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad