Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
The sad thing is if we don't make the playoffs, as it stands, we really have nothing left that would change the outlook for 2023-24 season outside of Horvat for 82 games but no scorers coming, goaltending on expiring contracts, up against the cap... We are kind of stuck in the mud with an average team that has above average goaltending that we hope will resign.
Oh look! This post again! Thanks!

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC

"Wandering"

confused-john-travolta.gif

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
It's just a weird way of looking at it since no team has that many.

I'm going to assume you mean Varlamov and not Sorokin, but this isn't that big of a deal. This seems like a lot of emotion all over two players not being sold off (two good players). Washington is selling everything, the Islanders aren't in a position to do that.
Again there was no "hidden" meaning or "way of looking at it" it was simply a declarative statement to EMPHASIZE that every team behind us in the standings and specifically those 4 have multiple games in hand...period.

And no, it is not limited to simple "emotion" (wtf) of over just those two players alone. It is the premise in "going for it" in its entirety, a mistake IMO- the alternative is not only selling off both of those players, who we may lose for nothing; but any other players (Parise/Nelson/others may in fact have a market) and the "rental" trade for Engvall and the growing prospect (and more likely than another difference making long term answer) trade of another rental(s).

Lastly, I never even mentioned anything remotely about selling everything- so the Washington comparison wasn't needed or relevant....

Last edited:

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
Games in hand are like saying a baseball team is only back X amount of games in the loss column

Those games can be lost just as easily as won. Case in point Buffao at Boston tonight. Game in hand goes bye bye and if things go according to form, 2 points are not gained
Of course they can be lost just as easy. But most of it still is simple math, which is where odds derive from (to say nothing about the Barzal situation and how much that is being used in the odds-making)...

As of this morning using MoneyPuck..even though we currently sit in the 7th spot:

We have only a 32.6% chance of making the playoffs.
We have only a 23.4% chance of the #8 seed which again would be against possibly the NHL record holder for wins and points in a season
We have only an 8.2% chance of the #7 seed, where we currently stand BECAUSE OF GAMES IN HAND

You don't trade for rentals or I would argue not try to sell and get what assets you can for pending UFA's with odds like that ESPECIALLY when you have no idea when your best player is going to be back......period

Last edited:
Reactions: Glorydays22

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Again there was no "hidden" meaning or "way of looking at it" it was simply a declarative statement to EMPHASIZE that every team behind us in the standings and specifically those 4 have multiple games in hand...period.

Those teams definitely have games in hand, the cumulative amount is just insignificant was why I mentioned it. I didn't say there was a hidden meaning, I said it was a weird way to look at it. You didn't mean anything by it other than an emphasis and that's fine. It's been emphasized.

And no, it is not limited to simple "emotion" (wtf) of over just those two players alone. It is the premise in "going for it" in its entirety- which is not only not selling off both of those players, who we may lose for nothing; but any other players (Parise/Nelson/others may in fact have a market) and the likely "rental" trade for Engvall and the growing prospect (and more likely than another difference making long term answer) trade of another rental(s).

Lastly, I never even mentioned anything remotely about selling everything- so the Washington comparison wasn't needed or relevant....

You're saying contradicting things here, unless you're taking "sell everything" as a very literal statement.

The point I was making about Washington is that the Islanders are not in a position to make that many trades with the contracts they have, so the idea of trading off Mayfield, Varlamov, and more players like you're suggesting is not realistic unless Lamoriello is going to rebuild, and we both know that's not happening.

PJGooch

Aug 2, 2005
Of course they can be lost just as easy. But most of it still is simple math, which is where odds derive from (to say nothing about the Barzal situation and how much that is being used in the odds-making)...

As of this morning using MoneyPuck..even though we currently sit in the 7th spot:

We have only a 32.6% chance of making the playoffs.
We have only a 23.4% chance of the #8 seed which again would be against possibly the NHL record holder for wins and points in a season
We have only an 8.2% chance of the #7 seed, where we currently stand BECAUSE OF GAMES IN HAND

You don't trade for rentals or I would argue not try to sell and get what assets you can for pending UFA's with odds like that ESPECIALLY when you have no idea when your best player is going to be back......period
We've seen it now in all sports that teams are not going to alter their course of action based on seeding, even if it means a distinct advantage -- like pushing to win a division and avoid a play-in round (in baseball) or additional playoff game (NFL). So there is no chance that an NHL GM or ownership group is going to factor a potentially daunting playoff matchup into their decision to buy, hold or sell. The only people who have that mentality are fans.

Reactions: BrockLobster

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
I would be all for this, he likely goes back to Chicago in UFA though he seems to love it there.
I’d like to have him but I’d like to make sure we sign him, I think Engvall will be signed and I think that was good move to lengthen the lineup. if Domi has no interest in staying I’d like isles to pivot and take flyer on guy like Lebanc or Fischer.

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
Those teams definitely have games in hand, the cumulative amount is just insignificant was why I mentioned it. I didn't say there was a hidden meaning, I said it was a weird way to look at it. You didn't mean anything by it other than an emphasis and that's fine. It's been emphasized.

You're saying contradicting things here, unless you're taking "sell everything" as a very literal statement.

The point I was making about Washington is that the Islanders are not in a position to make that many trades with the contracts they have, so the idea of trading off Mayfield, Varlamov, and more players like you're suggesting is not realistic unless Lamoriello is going to rebuild, and we both know that's not happening.
Stop already dude, there is no contradictions being said. Me listing many players DOES NOT automatically mean I am insinuating we trade many or "all of them" like Washington has done. It could just be a simple list to imply that we should be sellers and not buyers. Doesn't have to indicate a rebuild either, again something I am not insinuating and am perfectly aware Lou would not entertain.

As for the endless circle beating drum of the games in hand argument, there is absolutely nothing wrong with adding the total of those four teams to emphasize my point that there are several teams behind us and they all have multiple games in hand. You wanted to make something more of it than it was.

You are smart enough to know that other points can be made with both of these instances without taking the exaggerated meanings and replying back to them...

For some reason I see you doing this a lot and it is tiresome

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
We've seen it now in all sports that teams are not going to alter their course of action based on seeding, even if it means a distinct advantage -- like pushing to win a division and avoid a play-in round (in baseball) or additional playoff game (NFL). So there is no chance that an NHL GM or ownership group is going to factor a potentially daunting playoff matchup into their decision to buy, hold or sell. The only people who have that mentality are fans.

I think the Dorion interview referenced earlier is an aspect that fans just don't get or care about. It doesn't mean going for it all the time is the right move or that listening to your players is always the correct action, but the human element needs to be considered when making these decisions sometimes, otherwise players won't want to play for you.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Stop already dude, there is no contradictions being said. Me listing many players DOES NOT automatically mean I am insinuating we trade many or "all of them" like Washington has done. It could just be a simple list to imply that we should be sellers and not buyers. Doesn't have to indicate a rebuild either, again something I am not insinuating and am perfectly aware Lou would not entertain.

As for the endless circle beating drum of the games in hand argument, there is absolutely nothing wrong with adding the total of those four teams to emphasize my point that there are several teams behind us and they all have multiple games in hand. You wanted to make something more of it than it was.

You are smart enough to know that other points can be made with both of these instances without taking the exaggerated meanings and replying back to them...

For some reason I see you doing this a lot and it is tiresome
Some posts here are tiresome, that is for sure. But it ain't PK's...

• Haha
Reactions: Levi Walking Bear
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad