Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

Status
Not open for further replies.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
I'd take either of them tbh. Schmaltz is the better need fit, but Crouse is a more Lou fit.

Agreed, although i think Schmaltz could be a PPG player with Barzal and Horvat. I also wonder if Keller is available. I cant imagine he wants to stay in that situation.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I was looking at him too, he's way more interesting than Schmaltz (way more unlikely too).
This might help you weigh the options:

1677781985944.png

Drive 4 Five

Sep 5, 2006
The worry about teams behind us with games in hand is overblown. All those teams with games-in-hand have games against us and against each other remaining, and a much more condensed schedule - that is guaranteed points off the table in some fashion. NYI/Pitt/Buff/FLA/OTT/DET will be in a dogfight for weeks. The teams that win consistently within the conference matchups remaining will emerge on top. There are two spots up for grabs, and we are squarely in the running for one of those right now. If we take care of our own business we will get in - big if. With $7m+ in accrued cap space I assume Lou at least adds more NHL quality depth.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
The sad thing is if we don't make the playoffs, as it stands, we really have nothing left that would change the outlook for 2023-24 season outside of Horvat for 82 games but no scorers coming, goaltending on expiring contracts, up against the cap... We are kind of stuck in the mud with an average team that has above average goaltending that we hope will resign.

Sadly....

Bingo.

And even if we do make the playoffs, do we really have the horses to get through the war zone that is the Eastern Conference? Lord knows we don't have the coaching so pretty much every game/series we'd be in we wouldn't have any advantages there.

Trotz was the best thing that happened to this franchise in 25 years, but in a way he was also a bad thing in that I think the success he had is giving fans (and maybe Lou) the idea that this team is better than it is.

I know there's a lot of fans who are thinking, "Just make the playoffs and anything can happen," but this isn't the same team from 2+ years ago that was coming out of perhaps the worst ownership/GM/coaching group in it's history, was younger, and had a hall of fame coach.

This team might be 80% similar to the one that was a game away from the finals 2 years ago so it may feel like that run can be replicated again, but that 20% difference is a problem.

I legit don't think this roster will get near game 7 of the conference finals again without a coach like Trotz. And the truth is that maybe even with Trotz they're older/not good enough now. But since no one like that is walking through the door again I think Lou is chasing his own tail with his moves that will prevent him/a new GM from making significant moves to change the roster in the near future.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
FWIW, I noticed that the Isles have Engvall on "Non-roster"status. I believe that means he counts against the Cap but does not count towards the roster spot limit. Not sure if that's standard with newly-acquired players, or maybe the Isles just maximizing flexibility?

Could this be Wahlstrom??

Sure, but there are a lot of guys who fit that description.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
Sorry, I forgot you were the forever optimist. Maybe I've over cooked this a bit and its possible that Lou limps up to the plate like Gibson in the 88 World Series and delivers a 2 out 2 run shot to win it. I'm hoping
Then you better hope the piece of shit Mike Davis and his .196 BA walks off a guy who gave up 11 in 75 inn that year and approx 1 BB ever 4 innings over his career then steals second before Lou even wheels himself up there

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Quinn hughes is being shopped...not seriously, but Vancouver are listening and open to it.

This is Eklund...

Apparently, Canucks are putting everyone on the block except for Petersson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad