Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Those picks could mean something if we have someone else picking the players besides old man Lou.

A more realistic view is that they won't be anything because most draft picks don't turn out to be very good. We don't like that bit of realism around draft picks though, we just want our $5 scratchers that could win $1M.

Reactions: LeapOnOver

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
A more realistic view is that they won't be anything because most draft picks don't turn out to be very good. We don't like that bit of realism around draft picks though, we just want our $5 scratchers that could win $1M.

The majority of the isles are our own former draft picks. In a salary cap era you need young guys to come into the lineup and fill important roles while they are cost controlled. Or even as trade bait to land a Meier or Horvat. We are out of top prospects.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Trades can happen after the trade deadline, those acquisitions just can't be used for the playoffs. ;)

The employer is telling you that you're more valuable away from the team than with the team at the point of the trade. Another organization is saying you're part of the solution for them. It could get messy pretty quickly, especially if the new team has success.

Of course you put yourself in the "realistic" grouping. Seems like there's some willful ignorance happening here with the "realistic" group.

The East is loaded up right now, but why are the Islanders destined to get Boston in the opening round and not Carolina? Refresh my memory, what happened the last time the Islanders faced Boston in the playoffs? Were the Islanders the favorite in that series? Wasn't there some record setting team in the 2019 playoffs that got bounced in four games in the opening round against a way less talented team? Maybe I'm just making that up.

2022 saw a 1 seed win the cup. Every other 1 seed was bounced in the second round.
2021 saw a 2 seed win the cup. Two 1 seeds were bounced in the first round, another in the second.
2020 saw a 2 seed win the cup. The 1 seed in the East was Philadelphia, they lost to the Islanders if you don't remember.
2019 saw the 3 seed win the cup. All four 1 seeds were bounced in the first round.

The insistence from the "realistic" group that teams can't win unless they're a favorite is so idiotic in the NHL today. The Islanders have one of the best goaltenders on the planet, they can absolutely knock some teams off. They also added a significant piece in Horvat, who has been playing pretty darn well with Barzal out (as the team has).

Who gets to determine what "contending" means? How does a team "contend" if they're never given a chance because "they're not going to win the cup anyway?" We're talking about two expiring contracts. Mayfield and Varlamov. These are both players the team should be looking to keep around, not jettisoning them out the door. Draft picks replenish themselves, there isn't a need to collect them like you're a pokemon trainer.

I don't really see anyone talking about adding rentals or anything wild. I think most people understand that the likelihood of this team winning the cup is slim at the moment. That doesn't mean the team shouldn't try to get to the dance. They should be looking to do exactly what was done with the Horvat deal, grab someone who will be around a long time and helps change the team dynamic. Are you getting upset if they go get another 27 year old and lock them up if they're more talented than guys we already have? You shouldn't be, even if it costs draft picks to do so.

The team does have one of the best goalies on the planet and just throwing that to the side like it doesn't matter is foolish. They shouldn't rely on Sorokin to win the cup by himself, but he can certainly help the team on their way to winning one if they get hot or make another good move or two.
Well said. Also, winning breads winning. Playoff experience matters. You don't simply tank yourself into contention overnight. And thank you for pointing out that no one is suggesting anything outlandish such as acquiring rentals for a one-time shot this year. That's a stupid strawman embraced by our resident "realists."

Glorydays22

Nov 21, 2011

Any draft pick is a crap shoot, but I want to be able to have that shot. For all the hate Hextall gone and most of it rightfully so. He drafted good for the most part.

Reactions: ekill08x

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
With Trotz at the helm in Nashville, I wonder if him and Lamoriello will make any deals.

I know Trotz liked Pulock and he’s struggled a bit in the new system. Duchene’s NMC kicks in this summer, scored 40 goals last year…plays RW

Pulock + Wahlstrom for Duchene + Fabbro??

Reactions: MarsTBOW

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006

Which in Bill Daly speak will come to mean…

Rangers will be eligible for a lottery pick if their 100m lineup can’t get past the first round.

Sorokin and Kaprizov are also ineligible for the playoffs.

Reactions: SI90

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
The majority of the isles are our own former draft picks. In a salary cap era you need young guys to come into the lineup and fill important roles while they are cost controlled. Or even as trade bait to land a Meier or Horvat. We are out of top prospects.
It's Snow's roster anyway.

Reactions: Glorydays22

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

Sure, and how long did it take them to finally get to this point? How many picks did we miss on? How many were consensus picks? We've been out of top prospects for as long as I can remember because our top prospects don't ever pan out for the team. :laugh:

I wasn't being very serious though, I understand the importance of draft picks/drafting well and also making the playoffs. There's a balance and the scorched earth method in either direction isn't something I endorse.

Any draft pick is a crap shoot, but I want to be able to have that shot. For all the hate Hextall gone and most of it rightfully so. He drafted good for the most part.

I just think it's funny that the "realists" want the crap shoot that is actually further from winning the Stanley Cup than the one closer to it because they can imagine it to be whatever their heart desires.

But Arizona can keep doing whatever they are doing.

That's so f***ing true.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
Sure, and how long did it take them to finally get to this point? How many picks did we miss on? How many were consensus picks? We've been out of top prospects for as long as I can remember because our top prospects don't ever pan out for the team. :laugh:

I wasn't being very serious though, I understand the importance of draft picks/drafting well and also making the playoffs. There's a balance and the scorched earth method in either direction isn't something I endorse.

I just think it's funny that the "realists" want the crap shoot that is actually further from winning the Stanley Cup than the one closer to it because they can imagine it to be whatever their heart desires.

That's so f***ing true.

f*** the scorched earth bullshit that never works and takes forever to return to competency. I am a fan of turning some of the roster over though, get a little younger and faster, but thats something that can be addressed in the offseason.

isles55

Mar 7, 2015
I wonder what the Devils plan this off-season is. You would have to think re-signing Meier would be top priority and Bratt is an RFA as well.

They have a lot of players due for contracts. If they sign Bratt and Meier for around $18 million, they’re left with $18.5 million to sign 11 players.

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
With Trotz at the helm in Nashville, I wonder if him and Lamoriello will make any deals.

I know Trotz liked Pulock and he’s struggled a bit in the new system. Duchene’s NMC kicks in this summer, scored 40 goals last year…plays RW

Pulock + Wahlstrom for Duchene + Fabbro??
Trotz seemingly hated Wahlstrom, you could probably get those players just for mid picks and a contract to even out cap. Look at trades over the last few days, even for top players it doesn't really cost much at all off the roster.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
f*** the scorched earth bullshit that never works and takes forever to return to competency. I am a fan of turning some of the roster over though, get a little younger and faster, but thats something that can be addressed in the offseason.
yes sir Wanger....just like last off season!!

i'm with you man..... before the Horvat deal, I was probably in favor of blowing it all up but that guy has gone a couple of steps in bringing us into a situation where i feel that we can improve on the fly as you state.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
yes sir Wanger....just like last off season!!

i'm with you man..... before the Horvat deal, I was probably in favor of blowing it all up but that guy has gone a couple of steps in bringing us into a situation where i feel that we can improve on the fly as you state.

Exactly. I just dont want to see us bringing on guys on the back 9 of their career. Bring in guys that are 23-27 that will be at their best for a few more seasons.

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
Dumb post.

You forgot to include two other groups:

1. Those who liked the Horvat trade and signing and are rooting for the team to make the playoffs. But also realize that now is not the time to go 100% all-in and sell picks/prospects for rentals at the deadline. (People like me).

2. Those who fantasize about draft picks and the fuuuuture and advocate selling everything that isn't bolted down. As always. (People like you.)
WTF?

No, your response was dumb, especially with #2. I have given no inclination that the Islanders must sell everything or even anything remotely to that nor have I ever overhyped draft picks....

Really dumb response

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Big night - Ottawa and Detroit play again in Ottawa again (make up game from earlier in the season) Ottawa smoked them last night- let’s see but Ottawa has looked very good recently.

Tampa and Florida - Tampa looks to avenge their blow out loss from last week.

Buffalo plays Columbus.

Isles play Minny and a solid road win tonight or even a point will go a long way!

Lou has the cap space to add come Friday and it could be depth pieces a bottom 6 F more likely than D - the depth at Bridgeport has shown they can cover it and we haven’t even seen Grant Hutton.

The surprise big ticket item - comes in the form of Chychrun, Crouse, Schmaltz, Domi, Boeser, or Garland.

Domi and Hawks are working on extension. Lou unwilling to pay price for Chycrun but who knows. Crouse, Schmaltz, Garland, and Boeser would mean Bailey goes the other way since all have term. If there is a surprise deal- I predict it is Chychrun.

Otherwise let’s enjoy Nick Bjugstad!

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte
Well look at the roster now. They are mostly Hextall's picks. I think he did pretty good
I’m talking about the Isles. The reality is this team hasn’t drafted well since Jimmy D left decades ago. Sure they had the occasional good pick but this franchise doesn’t have a history of drafting well besides Jimmy D.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad