Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Goa1228

Jan 15, 2023
I see you're relatively new here, but we have a long and hallowed tradition of insider trade info tied to fast food. In my book, Wendy's chili with cheese is as good or better than dippin' dots. And you have a dog named "Howatt", so obviously you're not some newbie wannabe.

So, now having established your bona fides, is your "just a guess" tied to the trade itself, or just AZ? You seem pretty definite about the "something big is about to happen" part. Please do tell. And if you obtain any airport photos, please share those.:popcorn: ;)
Lol...its just hunch

Reactions: doublechili

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Atlanta
No, I'm absolutey saying Vary, Parise and Maybe Mayfield if Lou isn't re-signing him has to be traded. Is losing Vary and Mayfield at the end of the year for nothing good asset management for a team who's system is very bare and a roster that is one of the oldest in league?
Doing that would be an absolute slap in the face to a team that's trying to make the playoffs.

You just signed Horvat for 8 years. Imagine cutting the legs out from under him 2 weeks into the contract.

Zeeker

Feb 15, 2016
No, I'm absolutey saying Vary, Parise and Maybe Mayfield if Lou isn't re-signing him has to be traded. Is losing Vary and Mayfield at the end of the year for nothing good asset management for a team who's system is very bare and a roster that is one of the oldest in league?
Hellllll no. We need those two games of playoff revenue! Asset management be damned.

Glorydays22

Nov 21, 2011
Doing that would be an absolute slap in the face to a team that's trying to make the playoffs.

You just signed Horvat for 8 years. Imagine cutting the legs out from under him 2 weeks into the contract.

What by trading a back up goalie? Mayfield who's playing on the 3rd pair? Again, just like last year where Lou came out and said to the media that he promised guys like Chara, Greene, Parise and others that he wouldn't trade them.

You don't think you can get a player and a 1st rounder for Mayfield? Vary again we all like him, but he's a backup. Can we squeeze a couple of picks for him. What if Lou packaged one or both to get a younger player. You don't think we can get a young player who can help now from say from either the Kings, Col, Seattle? or someone else?

Are we running a country club or a team/business? Did I say, break the whole roster down...no. I'm saying get back younger assets for them and don't let the walk for nothing..

I see nothing to gain by getting into the playoffs for 1 round (playing 3-4 games) because we certainly aren't beating a team like Boston or Carolina. Not sure about you, but I'm not looking to just make the playoffs, I want this team to win a freaking Stanley cup.

If we make the right moves this deadline and offseason, we can definitely make the playoffs next year and be in better shape with a more talented roster.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
What by trading a back up goalie? Mayfield who's playing on the 3rd pair? Again, just like last year where Lou came out and said to the media that he promised guys like Chara, Greene, Parise and others that he wouldn't trade them.

You don't think you can get a player and a 1st rounder for Mayfield? Vary again we all like him, but he's a backup. Can we squeeze a couple of picks for him. What if Lou packaged one or both to get a younger player. You don't think we can get a young player who can help now from say from either the Kings, Col, Seattle? or someone else?

Are we running a country club or a team/business? Did I say, break the whole roster down...no. I'm saying get back younger assets for them and don't let the walk for nothing..

I see nothing to gain by getting into the playoffs for 1 round (playing 3-4 games) because we certainly aren't beating a team like Boston or Carolina. Not sure about you, but I'm not looking to just make the playoffs, I want this team to win a freaking Stanley cup.

If we make the right moves this deadline and offseason, we can definitely make the playoffs next year and be in better shape with a more talented roster.

You don't win the cup by selling off assets every year because you're not the best team on paper. The "best" teams rarely win the cup.

Why would teams want Mayfield? He's exactly what contending teams need to win. He can play on the PK and ES, big guy with some snarl, boxes players out. What message does it send to the players if you're moving out a player that would help them win in the playoffs?

Varlamov being dealt is just a matter of whether or not you want to be one injury away from having your season flushed down the toilet. This organization doesn't have any goalie prospects so if something happens to Sorokin it's all over.

The "it's a business" mentality only goes so far. You're dealing with people. Locker rooms go bad when you bring the wrong guys in and they can go bad if you move the wrong guys out. If your boss says "I don't believe in you" then you're likely not going to get the best out of the group moving forward either.

Guys like Chara, Greene, and Parise can just as easily retire if moved somewhere they don't want to go. It's not crazy to not move them knowing that.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina

I don't even think you could get a 1st for Mayfield. Look, I am all for trading Varlamov but they are realistically getting a 2nd for Varlamov and maybe a prospect added onto a 2nd for Mayfield.

If there is a world where Lou could grab someone to replace Mayfield using assets from Mayfield and Varlamov that would be interesting. I know Copley has a great record for the Kings but you've got to think he is a ticking time bomb over there. If Varlamov truly wants to come back he will in the offseason. I cannot see him waiving the NTC to go to Edmonton.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Lot of intriguing names here Domi/Anthaneseau/Henrique/grant/Kulikov…maybe even Klingberg. Also play ducks in 2 weeks so keep that in mind.
I never look too much into scouts honestly. Teams scout all the time for many reasons. You’re right about us playing the ducks and that could be what it’s about.

Glorydays22

Nov 21, 2011
You don't win the cup by selling off assets every year because you're not the best team on paper. The "best" teams rarely win the cup.

Why would teams want Mayfield? He's exactly what contending teams need to win. He can play on the PK and ES, big guy with some snarl, boxes players out. What message does it send to the players if you're moving out a player that would help them win in the playoffs?

Varlamov being dealt is just a matter of whether or not you want to be one injury away from having your season flushed down the toilet. This organization doesn't have any goalie prospects so if something happens to Sorokin it's all over.

The "it's a business" mentality only goes so far. You're dealing with people. Locker rooms go bad when you bring the wrong guys in and they can go bad if you move the wrong guys out. If your boss says "I don't believe in you" then you're likely not going to get the best out of the group moving forward either.

Guys like Chara, Greene, and Parise can just as easily retire if moved somewhere they don't want to go. It's not crazy to not move them knowing that.

I totally agree about Mayfield, but I don't see how Lou can re-sign him when he'll probably get 4M per in the offseason from someone. We don't have the cap space. So again, why let him go for nothing. I never said Mayfield had no value, quite the opposite. Vary is a luxury we can't afford anymore. There are always cheap backup goalie options in the offseason.

Regarding "it's a business and worried about the locker room. Did Tampa worry when they traded McDonagh (Forced him to waive his NTC) to Nashville? And there other examples too.

I don't even think you could get a 1st for Mayfield. Look, I am all for trading Varlamov but they are realistically getting a 2nd for Varlamov and maybe a prospect added onto a 2nd for Mayfield.

If there is a world where Lou could grab someone to replace Mayfield using assets from Mayfield and Varlamov that would be interesting. I know Copley has a great record for the Kings but you've got to think he is a ticking time bomb over there. If Varlamov truly wants to come back he will in the offseason. I cannot see him waiving the NTC to go to Edmonton.

I disagree about Mayfield. He is exactly what a playoff team is looking for at this time. And with this crazy SELLERS market, we are sure to get a 1st if Lou decided to move him.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com

You don't have to explain what you are saying. No matter how many times you repeat it, nobody is buying the filth you are selling. No team committed to winning and invested in making the playoffs is going to suddenly sell off two depth pieces (especially one of them being a goaltender with a GM who values goaltending) just because they think they can't beat Boston or Carolina. Nobody in pro sports makes it to that level, administration or otherwise, with a defeatist attitude. You can spout all you want like you are the Steve Jobs of hockey management, but the reality is NO GM does what you are saying to do. That's all there is to it. You might as well be a flat-earther at this point.

They’re killing Raty on the Vancouver board lol. Kid is 20 and was just traded. He’s probably nervous. I’d gladly trade for him back
Why, is he playing? Thought he was going to be in the AHL for the rest of the year?

Glorydays22

Nov 21, 2011
You don't have to explain what you are saying. No matter how many times you repeat it, nobody is buying the filth you are selling. No team committed to winning and invested in making the playoffs is going to suddenly sell off two depth pieces (especially one of them being a goaltender with a GM who values goaltending) just because they think they can't beat Boston or Carolina. Nobody in pro sports makes it to that level, administration or otherwise, with a defeatist attitude. You can spout all you want like you are the Steve Jobs of hockey management, but the reality is NO GM does what you are saying to do. That's all there is to it. You might as well be a flat-earther at this point.

Why, is he playing? Thought he was going to be in the AHL for the rest of the year?
Sorry, I didn't know I was pedaling filth. LOL :sarcasm:

Reactions: LeapOnOver

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Some of the takes on this board are something else

They’re also saying they stole Beauvillier from us
Beauviller is talented. Legit skill to be a 30 goal guy. I feel like he was just comfortable here playing with his best friend. Change of scenery now he has to be a pro and handle his business.

Reactions: LeapOnOver

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I totally agree about Mayfield, but I don't see how Lou can re-sign him when he'll probably get 4M per in the offseason from someone. We don't have the cap space. So again, why let him go for nothing. I never said Mayfield had no value, quite the opposite. Vary is a luxury we can't afford anymore. There are always cheap backup goalie options in the offseason.

I didn't think you were saying Mayfield has no value, the point I was making is that he has value to the Islanders as they're trying to get into the playoffs. If the Islanders didn't have Mayfield they'd be looking to trade for him right about now, so why trade him?

Varlamov being a luxury is true, but the backup goalie in the off-season doesn't help the team if something happens to Sorokin between now and then. That's why you have quality backups and I don't see Lamoriello moving him right now, unless it's part of a deal to get a quality backup but I'd guess that would severely limit the value he'd get for him.

Regarding "it's a business and worried about the locker room. Did Tampa worry when they traded McDonagh (Forced him to waive his NTC) to Nashville? And there other examples too.

You're just picking a random trade and assuming that it wasn't part of the equation, it probably was. There are plenty of examples of teams upsetting locker rooms too. The fact is that we don't know that aspect of things usually. It's way more delicate than fans want to admit because they like playing fantasy GM with robots instead of people who have real families and emotions.

Sorry, I didn't know I was pedaling filth. LOL :sarcasm:

Go take a shower. :laugh:

SI

Feb 16, 2013

I disagree about Mayfield. He is exactly what a playoff team is looking for at this time. And with this crazy SELLERS market, we are sure to get a 1st if Lou decided to move him.
Who is trading for Mayfield right now?

Tampa, Boston, and Toronto all made their additions. Florida is looking to move Gudas and Detroit and Buffalo are not in the business to trade for a rental.

Edmonton could be one but they have targets on a D man with term Karlsson or Ekholm. Vegas and Kings are concentrating on Chychrun or Gavrikov. Seattle, Dallas, Colorado, and Winnipeg are set on D and Win and Colorado need help at F. I doubt Calgary would move their ‘23 1st for a rental in Mayfield.

D market
Chychrun
Karlsson
Ekholm
Gavrikov
Edmundson
Kulikov
Gudas
Klingberg
Gostisbehere

Add Mayfield.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Yes, by doing that.

The idea that these players are just merely unimportant backups and 4th liners, but you're absolutely wrecking the future of the team by not trading them for 1st rounders is quite the rationalization.

Mayfield also plays over 20 minutes a night routinely, he's not some 6th defenseman.

Beauviller is talented. Legit skill to be a 30 goal guy. I feel like he was just comfortable here playing with his best friend. Change of scenery now he has to be a pro and handle his business.

I think the pressure of needing to take the next step for the Islanders got to him a bit. He can be a 50 point guy for sure, just needs to get his head straight and be a bit more consistent. I'll always be a fan of his.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad