Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Glorydays22

Nov 21, 2011
Theyre in the 1st wildcard. He isnt selling. Some of us actually enjoy watching playoff games

If you think we are staying in the 1st playoff spot, I have a bridge to sell you.
It's obviously he isn't selling, but is that the right move and selling more of our future? I don't think watching 3 playoffs games is worth hurting our future for the next several years.

Reactions: SayItAintSoJohnny

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
If you think we are staying in the 1st playoff spot, I have a bridge to sell you.
It's obviously he isn't selling, but is that the right move and selling more of our future? I don't think watching 3 playoffs games is worth hurting our future for the next several years.
Trading top picks and prospects for rentals is mortgaging the future. Making a smart move for a 27 year old all star who you immediately sign is most certainly not.

Also, to clarify, are you suggesting that by NOT trading Varlamov he is also mortgaging the future?

while I still think we are a long shot to make the playoffs, I still maintain the stance that we would be absolute fools to not at least move Varly. Only 3 more back to backs and if we can't beat Anaheim or Columbus with Schneider, we have no business talking playoffs. Let Sorokin handle the final back to back. If Lou adds smart pieces I have no problem with it so long as he doesn't move 24 FRP.
Current odds say 37%. Behind PIT and BUF who are at 53%.

Reactions: 19 in a row

Glorydays22

Nov 21, 2011
Trading top picks and prospects for rentals is mortgaging the future. Making a smart move for a 27 year old all star who you immediately sign is most certainly not.

Also, to clarify, are you suggesting that by NOT trading Varlamov he is also mortgaging the future?

Current odds say 37%. Behind PIT and BUF who are at 53%.

No, I'm absolutey saying Vary, Parise and Maybe Mayfield if Lou isn't re-signing him has to be traded. Is losing Vary and Mayfield at the end of the year for nothing good asset management for a team who's system is very bare and a roster that is one of the oldest in league?

I don't believe we have a shot with Pit, Buf and Det who have 5 games in hand on us. Just my opinion especially they way they (Det and Buff especially) are playing now.

Regarding Buchnevich...This year is a HUGE sellers market. He's under contract another 2 years at a great price (5.8M). Seriously what incentive is there for St Louis to trade him. If you can get them to listen, they are going to want 2 1st rounders. We don't have anything the system to give them. What a 2025 1st and Dufour? that's not going to cut it. Are you willing to give 2 1st rounders, Dufour and another top spect? I sure as hell don't.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Islander HF's Top Ten Guide to a Stanley Cup

1. Taaaaaaank
2. Hoard draft picks
3. Draft VERY well. This is key.
4. Develop players very well.
5. Get younger, cheaper, faster. Immediately and always.
6. The summer before a player is about to hit UFA, make them commit. If they don't, trade them for picks/prospects. No exceptions.
7. Be a seller at every deadline.
8. Bench and bag skate anyone and everyone that makes a mistake. All the time.
9. If the PP is underperforming, fans need to yell "shooot!" louder.
10. PROPER ASSET MANAGEMENT!

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
Theyre in the 1st wildcard. He isnt selling. Some of us actually enjoy watching playoff games
Ottawa vs Detroit tonight for the DVR..it's already playoff time.

I'd be OK with WC2 and no bridge

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
No, I'm absolutey saying Vary, Parise and Maybe Mayfield if Lou isn't re-signing him has to be traded. Is losing Vary and Mayfield at the end of the year for nothing good asset management for a team who's system is very bare and a roster that is one of the oldest in league?

I don't believe we have a shot with Pit, Buf and Det who have 5 games in hand on us. Just my opinion especially they way they (Det and Buff especially) are playing now.

Regarding Buchnevich...This year is a HUGE sellers market. He's under contract another 2 years at a great price (5.8M). Seriously what incentive is there for St Louis to trade him. If you can get them to listen, they are going to want 2 1st rounders. We don't have anything the system to give them. What a 2025 1st and Dufour? that's not going to cut it. Are you willing to give 2 1st rounders, Dufour and another top spect? I sure as hell don't.
Last dozen games:

NYI 7-3-2
DET 8-4
BUF 7-4-1
PIT 5-6-1

To answer your question, no, I do not want to give up any more first rounders.

Reactions: 19 in a row

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl

1. Taaaaaaank
2. Hoard draft picks
6. The summer before a player is about to hit UFA, make them commit. If they don't, trade them for picks/prospects. No exceptions.
But the draft day parties brother

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Kevin Kurz new althetic article says he thinks isles will add but watch for lou to possibly wait till late in the day Friday to try and grab some bargains. Mentioned JVR/Klingberg/Ghost as potential targets. JVR wouldn’t be a bad option middle 6 rental for cheap.
The first part wouldn't surprise me. But I'm not sure if all of the 3 guys listed fit the Lou MO. Every player he's traded for with the Isles fits a profile of sorts.

If Lou doesn't go bigger for a younger guy with term for now and the future, then I could see him going cheap for a vet defenseman (probably LHD) and/or a vet forward also for depth, or perhaps a scorer with some warts that he'll roll the dice on.

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island
I wouldn’t be surprised at all to see extensions for Varlamov and Mayfield announced after the TDL on Friday.

I hope so.. If we don't have an extension already in place for Varly by Friday, I would want to trade him. I know it is important to have two goalies but see that more for the regular season. Varly is an excellent backup but our main advantage over teams in the playoffs will likely be Sorokin. If he goes down, I don't think we could go deep with Varly given our talent level. So I would roll the dice rather than lose him. But if you have him signed to an extension for next season at no more than $2M (we can't afford any more for our backup) then I would be all for it.

BrockLobster

Feb 11, 2013
Long Beach, NY
They may keep 1st wildcard. They may not. But i like to enjoy (and hate at many times) the ride.

And I'll worry about the future next year

Reactions: JKP

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
They may keep 1st wildcard. They may not. But i like to enjoy (and hate at many times) the ride.

The Kings won the Cup with a similar build. Heavy team with superstar goaltending that was difficult to take out come playoff time.

Do the Islanders have Kopitar/Carter/Doughty tier talent though to get us there?

Reactions: BrockLobster

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
What are we thinking about JT Miller?

2024/5 1st + Bailey + Dufour or Ishkahov + 3rd/4th or Salo

PJGooch

Aug 2, 2005

1. Taaaaaaank
2. Hoard draft picks
Do all those things well and you're always three years away from the greatest team ever assembled. The HF Cup.

Reactions: JKP

Goa1228

Jan 15, 2023
I smell a deal brewing between us and Arizona (just a guess) or maybe it could be the Large chili with cheese, from Wendy's,I gave my 125 lb Rottweiler Howatt. Either way something big is about to happen.

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island

But the hope of a future playoff team is way more fun than watching a hopeful current playoff team.

That legit or just Vancouvee trash media?
Think i read Millers extension wasn’t received well in the room considering Horvat was popular captain. They essentially chose Miller over Horvat which wasn’t hugely popular in their room.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Somebody broke down all the draft picks that Tampa has given up the last 5 years or so. They've all turned out to be mediocre to crap at best. I'm totally fine trading every draft pick every year for non rentals that sign long term and can help us win. So far that's what Lou has been doing. He hasn't made one trade that's bothered me, including Toews.

That legit or just Vancouvee trash media?

Reactions: Glory Days

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
What are we thinking about JT Miller?

2024/5 1st + Bailey + Dufour or Ishkahov + 3rd/4th or Salo

No, Miller and Horvat hate each other for starters

I was going to ask the same thing. Would be a little weird if there wasn't a riff somewhere in that locker room. I'd be wary about whoever was brought in from that team and would want to clear it with Horvat first.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I smell a deal brewing between us and Arizona (just a guess) or maybe it could be the Large chili with cheese, from Wendy's,I gave my 125 lb Rottweiler Howatt. Either way something big is about to happen.
I see you're relatively new here, but we have a long and hallowed tradition of insider trade info tied to fast food. In my book, Wendy's chili with cheese is as good or better than dippin' dots. And you have a dog named "Howatt", so obviously you're not some newbie wannabe.

So, now having established your bona fides, is your "just a guess" tied to the trade itself, or just AZ? You seem pretty definite about the "something big is about to happen" part. Please do tell. And if you obtain any airport photos, please share those.:popcorn: ;)

Reactions: Goa1228

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I see you're relatively new here, but we have a long and hallowed tradition of insider trade info tied to fast food. In my book, Wendy's chili with cheese is as good or better than dippin' dots. And you have a dog named "Howatt", so obviously you're not some newbie wannabe.

So, now having established your bona fides, is your "just a guess" tied to the trade itself, or just AZ? You seem pretty definite about the "something big is about to happen" part. Please do tell. And if you obtain any airport photos, please share those.:popcorn: ;)

Major Bag Alert.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad