Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Uncle Lou

Jun 20, 2010
New York
Kevin Kurz new althetic article says he thinks isles will add but watch for lou to possibly wait till late in the day Friday to try and grab some bargains. Mentioned JVR/Klingberg/Ghost as potential targets. JVR wouldn’t be a bad option middle 6 rental for cheap.

Reactions: SI90 and xECK29x

Taswell

Oct 4, 2017
Kevin Kurz new althetic article says he thinks isles will add but watch for lou to possibly wait till late in the day Friday to try and grab some bargains. Mentioned JVR/Klingberg/Ghost as potential targets. JVR wouldn’t be a bad option middle 6 rental for cheap.

Not that I think Kurz has any insight into what Lou is thinking/planning, but the way players are moving not sure much will be left for the deadline.

That said, Ghost was my target, so that'd make me happy. Wish we could get Crouse along with him :laugh:

Glorydays22

Nov 21, 2011
if they are cheap, but the way this market is it won't. So I'm not sure I'm for any of this

duster19

Feb 13, 2013

Exact route we should be going. Some cheap rentals that teams will take pretty much anything to get rid of. I’d love to give someone like Ghost an opportunity. The PP is the place we can make the most gains moving forward IMO. Not sure he will be able to hang in the d zone though with as much Def as the isles play. But worth a look for a mid round pick.

ekill08x

Oct 29, 2011
while I still think we are a long shot to make the playoffs, I still maintain the stance that we would be absolute fools to not at least move Varly. Only 3 more back to backs and if we can't beat Anaheim or Columbus with Schneider, we have no business talking playoffs. Let Sorokin handle the final back to back. If Lou adds smart pieces I have no problem with it so long as he doesn't move 24 FRP.

Reactions: SayItAintSoJohnny

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
Problem is JVR makes Lee look fast. Not saying we need to add only speed demons, but we struggle with fast forechecking teams. Adding someone who is even slower isn’t going to help.

Reactions: MarsTBOW

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
in a vacuum i agree with you, but if Varly is traded, does Sorokin stay?

Varlamov is 7 years old than Sorokin. Do we have to resign Varly until he’s 42 to be able to keep Sorokin until he’s 35?

No player should dictate what’s best for the team. If Sorokin needs us to spend 10M+ of valuable cap space in 2 years on the goaltending situation because he needs his friend here then sorry but he has to go.

Thankfully I think Sorokin is a professional and is going to resign here regardless of who his backup is. Thus…Varly can be traded to improve the rest of the team.

That said Lou will never trade him so it’s all a moot point.

Reactions: SayItAintSoJohnny

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
while I still think we are a long shot to make the playoffs, I still maintain the stance that we would be absolute fools to not at least move Varly. Only 3 more back to backs and if we can't beat Anaheim or Columbus with Schneider, we have no business talking playoffs. Let Sorokin handle the final back to back. If Lou adds smart pieces I have no problem with it so long as he doesn't move 24 FRP.

I think it's more about having a quality backup in case something happens to Sorokin. If Varlamov is traded then he'll need to bring in a different backup as an insurance policy. One injury could derail the entire season, but there's still a legitimate chance to have success with Varlamov if Sorokin gets banged up.

Last edited:
Reactions: doublechili

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
I'm guessing that Varly can be had next year for $2m mas o menos. Is anyone gonna pay him much more? By all accounts he likes it here and probably doesn't want to move to a new team/town, if the pay is even close.

No one is signing him to be a starter, so what is his max value? Maybe he'll get a bit over $2m, but I don't think the Islanders approach $3m with him. They can go elsewhere if need be.
I think there are around 10 teams in the league where Varlamov would be an upgrade over their starter. All it takes is one to throw 4M x 2 at him. It's up to him if he wants to stay for 2M plus bonuses if Sorokin gets hurt. Sounds like he might be into it

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Islanders did so well with Horvat.
A center with 67 goals in his last 130 games - a 40+ goal pace. A leader who is locked up long term. A rare case where a trade can work out extremely well for both parties involved.

Related thought - if Beau plays the whole of next year next to Petterson and is on pace for 25 goals and 65 points, how much do you think he goes for at the deadline? He has a history of performing in the playoffs and will still be just 26. I can see a hefty contract in Beau's future

TeamKidd

Aug 9, 2004
I think there are around 10 teams in the league where Varlamov would be an upgrade over their starter. All it takes is one to throw 4M x 2 at him. It's up to him if he wants to stay for 2M plus bonuses if Sorokin gets hurt. Sounds like he might be into it
My guess is that he will be extended long term @ about 3M - 4yrs/12M. He's already 34 and I cant see another team committing to him long term as their starter. Isles want him around.

I wouldn’t be surprised at all to see extensions for Varlamov and Mayfield announced after the TDL on Friday.
I'd think that would be dependent on any acquisitions and any trades for cap relief.

Glorydays22

Nov 21, 2011
With teams like the NYR, Tor, Bos, NJ and TB just loading up. Does Lou honetly think we can do anything?? Really? This guy needs to sell which this year deadline is a HUGE sellers market. Reload for next year.

Reactions: ekill08x

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
With teams like the NYR, Tor, Bos, NJ and TB just loading up. Does Lou honetly think we can do anything?? Really? This guy needs to sell which this year deadline is a HUGE sellers market. Reload for next year.

Varlamov should be dealt no matter what.

Mayfield I have now changed my opinion on unless they can deal Mayfield AND grab a replacement long term.

Simply put, you don't make the Horvat trade giving this core one more chance and then sell once they played themselves into a playoff spot.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
I think it's more about having a quality backup in case something happens to Sorokin. If Varlamov is traded then he'll need to bring in a different backup as an insurance policy. One injury could derail the entire season, but there's still a legitimate chance to have success with Varlamov if Sorokin gets banged up.
Totally agree. I am of the philosophy that the most 2 important players on your team are the goalie and his backup. Same concept in FB with QBs

MarsTBOW

Jun 30, 2014
Ct.
Varlamov should be dealt no matter what.

Mayfield I have now changed my opinion on unless they can deal Mayfield AND grab a replacement long term.

Simply put, you don't make the Horvat trade giving this core one more chance and then sell once they played themselves into a playoff spot.

The Magic Question to Varly is "will you sign for 2 to 2.5 Mil as a Backup?" if he says he wants to be a number 1 still, then you have to trade him. Can't lose him for nothing....

Reactions: 19 in a row

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
Lou's competition aren't the teams you mentioned. His competition is the teams we are competing with for an entry ticket to the after school party

Next year may never come. In fact it's always next year

I am not a fan of ditching a chance for immediate success for a chance at future success. I feel a WC playoff birth this season would be a huge success

Players want to compete for the playoffs. It's why they play. From a business perspective, playoff ticket sales, beer revenue. souvenirs, etc is where it's at

Upsets in sports happen all the time. I say go balls out to get in now and worry about the future later

"Tomorrow Never Knows"

The Magic Question to Varly is "will you sign for 2 to 2.5 Mil as a Backup?" if he says he wants to be a number 1 still, then you have to trade him. Can't lose him for nothing....
He says he wants to stay. He's smart enough to know the Rok is top dog

I think him, Mayfield and Parise will all stay cheap

Crashsunday

Dec 18, 2006
San Diego
Wow! It’s crazy town out there on the trade front.

These GMs know they can only dress 20 each game, right? I get it, you need some insurance, but it seems like nobody in the East likes their team or feels good about their chances, except maybe Carolina and Boston.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad