Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheWhiteWhale30

Dec 3, 2007
That’s such a massive overpayment by TB other GMs aren’t going to be bent over just because TB went insane. That trade doesn’t set the market. It’s an anomaly. It’s the first time a team has traded a 1st,2nd,3rd,4th, and 5th flung draft pick(s) on a single trade.
I didn’t say it wasn’t an anamoly but it still matters. Fleury got a 1st last year at 4 years older and a worse sv%

Market for Varly based off everything we have seen has to start at a 1st. That’s all I’m saying.

Reactions: SI90

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
I have to think Lou is looking to add with the convincing win today and general playoff picture. The Buchnevich link has me intrigued, with that said, I'd rather use that space on a true first line winger.

The Wahligator

Nov 27, 2015
Long Island
I have to think Lou is looking to add with the convincing win today and general playoff picture. The Buchnevich link has me intrigued, with that said, I'd rather use that space on a true first line winger.
Buchnevich is a true first line winger. Scored 30 last year, on pace for 30 again this year and has 121 points in his last 117 games.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
People are speculating Lou would like a guy like Tanner Jeanott from NSH. Big guy works hard but he doesn’t do it for me unless we’re not giving up anything significant. Had a big year last year and isn’t replicating his production this year.

He brought back a lot - like literally...
1677496364261.png

Reactions: saintunspecified

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
I usually think BriseBois knows what he’s doing, but I don’t know about this. That is A LOT.

Love the player but I can’t in good conscience do that trade.

That really is A LOT.

We'll see how it works out for them.

But at least TBL fans can rest assured that Brisebois will likely add a couple of college, CHL, and European UFAs of note to the organization to make up for the lost picks.

In addition (and this can apply to us as well), several teams have drafted so much in recent years that they're simply not able to sign all the guys they'd like to due to the contract limits, so maybe there'll be a few interesting players available to take a shot on this offseason.

Fist of Fury

Wang Chung
Jul 24, 2011
If struggling Jeannot brings that much in return, What will Buchnevich or even UFA Domi will cost then. Lower tier forward help would be Trenin/Bjugstad... or dumpster diving Puljujarvi.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Totally!

And karma then bit them in the a$$ as they proceeded to see that 3-0 lead turn into a 4-3 loss.
And furthermore Ishkakov was on the ice for the 4th goal. But really disheartening to give up that lead in roughly 20 minutes.

Interesting that the night before, winning goalie Samuel Ersson was in Newark getting bashed in for all 7 goals in a 7-0 loss to the Devils.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
That’s such a massive overpayment by TB other GMs aren’t going to be bent over just because TB went insane. That trade doesn’t set the market. It’s an anomaly. It’s the first time a team has traded a 1st,2nd,3rd,4th, and 5th flung draft pick(s) on a single trade.
I agree. Also, the notion of 'setting the market' is a fiction unless it comes in the context of multiple bids, in which case the multiple bids created the market, not the deal itself.

I still don't think NYI trade Varlamov, because I think they want to keep him, and they may think it helps extending Sorokin. What we've seen all year is that NYI have absolute confidence in their goaltending every single night. Sunday's game vs. the Jets was a total mismatch of backup goaltenders. Varlamov was good (didn't have to be better than that, obviously), Rittich put his team in a hole, and then buried them.

If I didn't think there were any link between resigning Varlamov, and retaining Sorokin, I'd feel differently about it.

Reactions: 19 in a row and MJF

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Buchnevich is a true first line winger. Scored 30 last year, on pace for 30 again this year and has 121 points in his last 117 games.
And he's on a 5.8MAAV contract for 2 more prime playing years, which is a bargain for that production. He'd be extremely expensive to acquire.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
And furthermore Ishkakov was on the ice for the 4th goal. But really disheartening to give up that lead in roughly 20 minutes.

Interesting that the night before, winning goalie Samuel Ersson was in Newark getting bashed in for all 7 goals in a 7-0 loss to the Devils.

:oops:

Oh goodness... That's bitter.

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
I agree. Also, the notion of 'setting the market' is a fiction unless it comes in the context of multiple bids, in which case the multiple bids created the market, not the deal itself.

I still don't think NYI trade Varlamov, because I think they want to keep him, and they may think it helps extending Sorokin. What we've seen all year is that NYI have absolute confidence in their goaltending every single night. Sunday's game vs. the Jets was a total mismatch of backup goaltenders. Varlamov was good (didn't have to be better than that, obviously), Rittich put his team in a hole, and then buried them.

If I didn't think there were any link between resigning Varlamov, and retaining Sorokin, I'd feel differently about it.
Deadline day may be the leverage Lou has to get something affordable done. Problem with that is there are teams like Detroit that might pay him real money in free agency.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Deadline day may be the leverage Lou has to get something affordable done. Problem with that is there are teams like Detroit that might pay him real money in free agency.
Does Varlamov want to be a starter? Not every starter is able to gracefully transition to becoming a backup, and he's done it. Otoh, it's easy to imagine him getting hurt with a bigger workload. I think NYI are in a better position than anyone else to know what Varlamov wants.

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
Does Varlamov want to be a starter? Not every starter is able to gracefully transition to becoming a backup, and he's done it. Otoh, it's easy to imagine him getting hurt with a bigger workload. I think NYI are in a better position than anyone else to know what Varlamov wants.
It's a good question. His has had issues in the past. Not sure of his focus isn't on one last contract in the 4-5mile range with some term. Not something we can do.

Underrated somewhat is that these guys seem to like living here. If you have the resources there is a lot here for these guys who have young families.

TeamKidd

Aug 9, 2004

the other piece of that equation is that we have nothing behind them. there is no up and coming goalie to replace Varly. It's Schneider and then ZIPPO.

Could we replace Varly with Greiss and save a mil? Maybe. But the investment in Varly is worth it if it keeps Sorokin happy.

Reactions: saintunspecified

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
The problem with having Varlamov is we can't afford our backup goalie making that much because our team is filled with overpaid 3rd/4th line players who are over 30; specifically Bailey, Pageau, Palmieri and Cizikas. Combined those players are making 17.5 million this season and COMBINED they have 29 goals. Worse is they are ALL signed for next season and in the case for all of them besides Josh, signed for more year(s) after.

Semyon should have been traded (and a cheaper replacement found) when everyone was looking for a goalie during the offseason. I would argue it is absolutely inexcusable not to move him now...

Sorkin is fixing to get paid handsomely and that means 60 starts a season- time to move on from "needing" someone there when allocating so much money to the position hurts our team's financial flexibility...

Reactions: 12Dog and periferal

TeamKidd

Aug 9, 2004
The problem with having Varlamov is we can't afford our backup goalie making that much because our team is filled with overpaid 3rd/4th line players who are over 30; specifically Bailey, Pageau, Palmieri and Cizikas. Combined those players are making 17.5 million this season and COMBINED they have 29 goals. Worse is they are ALL signed for next season and in the case for all of them besides Josh, signed for more year(s) after.

Semyon should have been traded (and a cheaper replacement found) when everyone was looking for a goalie during the offseason. I would argue it is absolutely inexcusable not to move him now...

Sorkin is fixing to get paid handsomely and that means 60 starts a season- time to move on from "needing" someone there when allocating so much money to the position hurts our team's financial flexibility...
in a vacuum i agree with you, but if Varly is traded, does Sorokin stay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad