Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
The problem with having Varlamov is we can't afford our backup goalie making that much because our team is filled with overpaid 3rd/4th line players who are over 30; specifically Bailey, Pageau, Palmieri and Cizikas. Combined those players are making 17.5 million this season and COMBINED they have 29 goals. Worse is they are ALL signed for next season and in the case for all of them besides Josh, signed for more year(s) after.

Semyon should have been traded (and a cheaper replacement found) when everyone was looking for a goalie during the offseason. I would argue it is absolutely inexcusable not to move him now...

Sorkin is fixing to get paid handsomely and that means 60 starts a season- time to move on from "needing" someone there when allocating so much money to the position hurts our team's financial flexibility...
Now as in before the deadline? That's not gonna happen.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
I know a lot of us like to look at successful teams as "models" and try to find some sort of "blueprint" for success. Well, with few exceptions, having two quality goalies has been the recipe for playoff success in recent years. No way would it be prudent to trade Varlamov in the middle of a playoff race after you just acquired one of the biggest names out there.

I would love to see this board if Lou did trade Varlamov and then Sorokin got hurt.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Sorkin is fixing to get paid handsomely and that means 60 starts a season- time to move on from "needing" someone there when allocating so much money to the position hurts our team's financial flexibility...
You're assuming Varlamov's salary demands, and discounting what I said before - that NYI are in a better position to know what Varlamov wants than anyone else.

If what Varlamov wants is more salary on a 1 year deal, I think he can get that elsewhere. But I doubt other teams are likely to think that paying him a starter's salary for more than a year is a good idea especially considering it will be a 35+ contract.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
I know a lot of us like to look at successful teams as "models" and try to find some sort of "blueprint" for success. Well, with few exceptions, having two quality goalies has been the recipe for playoff success in recent years. No way would it be prudent to trade Varlamov in the middle of a playoff race after you just acquired one of the biggest names out there.

I would love to see this board if Lou did trade Varlamov and then Sorokin got hurt.
it would be great entertainment!!

• Haha
Reactions: MarsTBOW

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
totally agree

interesting article by Rosner stating that new job tough love guy is courting the Isles for one player.....young Ollie.
Hey Mikey, I'm too lazy to look this up. What is the skinny on this? Remember, I'm too busy hitting 1 irons 240 yards into the wind brother

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
Hey Mikey, I'm too lazy to look this up. What is the skinny on this? Remember, I'm too busy hitting 1 irons 240 yards into the wind brother
what's up good buddy!

Rosner says a "league source" says the Isles and Preds are in "serious talks"....says they are interested in Wally who was last seen on crutches with a brace on his left knee but is expected to be ready for camp

total speculation on the return by Rosner but he throws out Sissons and Ekholm then mentions Duchene as a dark horse

Reactions: mm11

Tahoeblue

Nov 29, 2019
Reno/Tahoe
what's up good buddy!

Rosner says a "league source" says the Isles and Preds are in "serious talks"....says they are interested in Wally who was last seen on crutches with a brace on his left knee but is expected to be ready for camp

total speculation on the return by Rosner but he throws out Sissons and Ekholm then mentions Duchene as a dark horse
I am still holding out hope for Wally. Not sure about the rumor though, but if it was leaked, Lou has hung up his rotary phone.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
wife put the kibosh on Fla for summer vacation....didn't want to hit St. Aug again....we're heading to Brunswick Ga/Golden Isles region 1st week in July. by then the euphoria of the NYI Cup will have worn off!!

I am still holding out hope for Wally. Not sure about the rumor though, but if it was leaked, Lou has hung up his rotary phone.
it's on nyhockeynow dot com

i'm a big Wally fan also!

Reactions: NC 1972

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
wife put the kibosh on Fla for summer vacation....didn't want to hit St. Aug again....we're heading to Brunswick Ga/Golden Isles region 1st week in July. by then the euphoria of the NYI Cup will have worn off!!

it's on nyhockeynow dot com

i'm a big Wally fan also!

I don't seem to remember Trotz being particularly fond of Wally, and it would be strange if they weren't consulting him about this seeing as he coached the guy for 3 years. I also don't seem to recall Rosner having any track record with "insider information", but there's a first time for everything and I generally really like the dude's reporting.

Does Wahlstrom, Aho, and the other first get us Ekholm with them taking Bailey? Maybe, maybe...

EDIT: Holy Shit, Duchene scored 40 goals last year? had no idea. Also another 3 years left at 8M with a NTC that kicks in next year. They're probably trying to get rid of him asap. Wahlstrom + Pageau?

Last edited:

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
I don't seem to remember Trotz being particularly fond of Wally, and it would be strange if they weren't consulting him about this seeing as he coached the guy for 3 years. I also don't seem to recall Rosner having any track record with "insider information", but there's a first time for everything and I generally really like the dude's reporting.

Does Wahlstrom, Aho, and the other first get us Ekholm with them taking Bailey? Maybe, maybe...
Barry certainly rode Wally hard but Ollie is very young with raw potential. to Wahlstrom's credit, he showed total respect for the way Barry handled him and said he appreciated it and he was going to work hard to improve....given all that, i found the article very interesting

since i'm 700 miles away from NY, I don't really know Rosner's relationship with the organizations around the league. i usually try to check in and read all the teams' beat writers just to see what's going on and learn what i can about injuries, trends, etc

Glorydays22

Nov 21, 2011
what's up good buddy!

To me, I don't see the value trading a young player like Wally for Sissons (a 3rd line Center, 29 years old and hasn't produced) or Ekholm (at 32 and a big contract for another 4 years). Makes no sense to me at all.

Last edited:

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
I doubt it does. Should, but I have little faith Lou will do it...

in a vacuum i agree with you, but if Varly is traded, does Sorokin stay?
One would assume he would. He is going to get paid handsomely to stay. I have read nothing to suggest that he isn't going to re-sign UNLESS we also keep Semyon around...

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
To me, I don't see the value trading a young player like Wally for Sissons (a 3rd line Center, 29 years old and hasn't produced) or Ekholm (at 32 and a big contractfor anothe 4 years). Makes no sense to me at all.
who knows the validity of all this, the return was Rosner's hypothesis as he states "at this time, it is unknown who the Islanders are interested in"

gonna be an interesting few days

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
You're assuming Varlamov's salary demands, and discounting what I said before - that NYI are in a better position to know what Varlamov wants than anyone else.

If what Varlamov wants is more salary on a 1 year deal, I think he can get that elsewhere. But I doubt other teams are likely to think that paying him a starter's salary for more than a year is a good idea especially considering it will be a 35+ contract.
I have no problem paying Varlamov 1-3 years at a rate of 2 million or less. If he wants to stay and BE THE BACKUP and make no more than 20-25 starts a season, sign me up.

Of course that doesn't mean it isn't in the team's best interest to trade him now- because it is.

It shouldn't be about making the playoffs, but rather being contenders and MORE IMPORTANTLY also helping our long term success, specifically but not limited to our 2023-24 outlook....

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
To me, I don't see the value trading a young player like Wally for Sissons (a 3rd line Center, 29 years old and hasn't produced) or Ekholm (at 32 and a big contractfor anothe 4 years). Makes no sense to me at all.

Esp given next year they will need bodies on the cheap. Any trade that brings salary with term doesn’t make sense to me. Even if Bailey goes the other way. It basically means no Mayfield and basically entry level contracts on the back end.

Reactions: The Real JT

NC 1972

Dec 8, 2017
The experts here already said he’s to small for the nhl.
He looks tiny.

This is correct , teams would usually look to add to their goaltending depth going into the playoffs. So if Lou sees this as a playoff team Varly isn't going anywhere. When Kadri took Binnington out it derailed any chance St. Louis had of advancing that's why goaltending is so critical this time of year..

Last edited:

The Wahligator

Nov 27, 2015
Long Island
Friedman on 32 thoughts says he thinks the Islanders put in a claim for Kapanen and were also in on Barbashev.

Also says he thinks this is a big run for the org being the second season in a new building so look for them to try to add.

crasherino

May 9, 2013

I'm guessing that Varly can be had next year for $2m mas o menos. Is anyone gonna pay him much more? By all accounts he likes it here and probably doesn't want to move to a new team/town, if the pay is even close.

No one is signing him to be a starter, so what is his max value? Maybe he'll get a bit over $2m, but I don't think the Islanders approach $3m with him. They can go elsewhere if need be.

Taswell

Oct 4, 2017
Friedman on 32 thoughts says he thinks the Islanders put in a claim for Kapanen and were also in on Barbashev.

Also says he thinks this is a big run for the org being the second season in a new building so look for them to try to add.

Glad that claim didn't work out. He's too pricey for what he is currently.

Taswell

Oct 4, 2017
It's going to be fun around here when Lou trades for Josh Anderson this week. :naughty:

Nothing Lou does from here to the deadline would shock me at this point.

Never expected him to grab Horvat and get him signed before ever playing a game for us, so yeah, bring in Anderson, sure lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad