Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
thanks for the reply....like coming your way when i'm back on parole in 40 days!!

i too have optimism....pens can get hot but they are in disarray. Ottawa probably a bit too far back, Detroit has been hot but looked fatigued last night vs Sens and it seemed to me that when Ottawa took the lead, Wings had a letdown....only one game though....Buffalo is way too loose in their own end and goal tending is a bit spotty

i thought 50/50 at beginning.... it's probably that now too although in my feeble mind, i have more hope than that!
Buffalo, Detroit, and Ottawa play 15 games in 31 days of March - schedule looks tough as well.

Isles need to take 2 of 3 from Caps at least split with Buffalo- maybe even steal Loser point, and stomp the Wings and Pens while they lick their wounds.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
You're getting your Flyer goaltending GM's mixed up.
I picked the wrong millennium to put the party favors away

Buffalo, Detroit, and Ottawa play 15 games in 31 days of March - schedule looks tough as well.

Isles need to take 2 of 3 from Caps at least split with Buffalo- maybe even steal Loser point, and stomp the Wings and Pens while they lick their wounds.
👍

NC 1972

Dec 8, 2017
Do you mean they just plain haven't drafted well or that they haven't drafted well in comparison to other teams?

I mean, the 2008 and 2009 drafts led to an overtly high rate of regular NHLers. And the 10-13 drafts each led to a player who is currently a core player on this team (Nelson, Mayfield, Pelech, and Pulock) plus Niederreiter, Strome, and Burroughs.

I mean, sure, it feels like they haven't been particularly good drafters. I think much of that has to do with how messers Reinhart, Dal Colle, Ho-Sang, and Bellows turned out.
He wasn't a first but throw in Krill Petrov. And that Song kid.

Chokabloc

Nov 25, 2021
NJ
I totally agree about Mayfield, but I don't see how Lou can re-sign him when he'll probably get 4M per in the offseason from someone. We don't have the cap space. So again, why let him go for nothing. I never said Mayfield had no value, quite the opposite. Vary is a luxury we can't afford anymore. There are always cheap backup goalie options in the offseason.

Regarding "it's a business and worried about the locker room. Did Tampa worry when they traded McDonagh (Forced him to waive his NTC) to Nashville? And there other examples too.

I disagree about Mayfield. He is exactly what a playoff team is looking for at this time. And with this crazy SELLERS market, we are sure to get a 1st if Lou decided to move him.
Re the D. Watch who blocks out, how many shots come from the dot on either side during the PK, which players take their opponent into the boards and hold them, who shows up and elevates their game during the playoffs. Pelech and Mayfield stand out there. Pulock and Dobson disappear. Now decide who should stay or go and who would command the draft choices on their way out......

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Wouldn't that be crazy reuniting Petterson and Horvat. I'm certain Barzal has a NMC.
Nope, no Barzal trade restrictions according to CF. He'd be going back "home" and joining his best buddy Beau.

I was joking. Sort of. :naughty:

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
He wasn't a first but throw in Krill Petrov. And that Song kid.
Nah… in this new Isles matrix thread where SnowHextall exists… I’ve decided that Kirill Petrov is Kirill Kaprizov.

There, elite talent and winger problem solved!

Reactions: NC 1972

BrockLobster

Feb 11, 2013
Long Beach, NY
It really is a tale of 2 realisms on this board, per usual.

First you have the "want to make the playoffs crowd" who really have no real faith that the Islanders are contenders, even with a couple of additions at the deadline but feel that goal alone is reason enough to trade even more of the few assets we have left. They say things like we are "in a playoff spot" but know damn well that so many games in hand from teams behind us make that a falsehood where odds actually have us currently as the THIRD most likely to take that final 8th spot.

To say nothing about how loaded the East is- and who we would be facing should we get that spot. A team that is on pace to break the single season record for wins and have outscored us 14-6 this season (3-0).

To say nothing about other loaded East teams (the only ones with a fair chance of beating the Bruins) who are adding significant pieces themselves during this deadline.

To say nothing about the fact we lost our best player for who knows how long and are still waiting for the return of our 3C- a team that can ill afford such losses because of our lack of depth at forward.

And then you have the more realistic group of fans who want no less to see the Islanders in the postseason- but not at the expense of trading away more assets (or I would argue not trading for more assets with expiring players)- UNLESS WE HAVE A CHANCE OF CONTENDING.

They realize they are still a LONGSHOT to make the playoffs and literally have NO CHANCE of contending this season for the myriad of reasons mentioned above, so as much as it hurts they want THE FUTURE (2023-24 and beyond) to be more in the forefront than simply "trying" to make the playoffs this season...

Unfortunately Lou embraces the former group and the later just has to watch more bad decisions being made and hope Sorokin becomes God in Net to justify it....

You sound fun at draft parties.

Fist of Fury

Wang Chung
Jul 24, 2011
No surprise at all that PoolParty joined with the Bunch of Jerks, should fit nicely there. So glad that I can scratch him off the LIST.

The Wahligator

Nov 27, 2015
Long Island
Lou's moves don't leak through insiders, we've been at this for 4 years now.
It’s not like it says the Islanders are involved, just that he’s available. There’s probably several teams in the mix, and I agree if the Islanders were one of them we wouldn’t know until it happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad