Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
I think thats a stupid trade for the Leafs unless they flip the 1st for an upgrade. Maybe thats part of a package for Chyrchun, otherwise a very late 1st round pick for a young defenseman is stupid for a team in win now mode.

That's a bit steep for Sandin isn't it?

Is it? We paid more for Romanov.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
He wasn't a first but throw in Krill Petrov. And that Song kid.

Song (publicity stunt) and Rosen (some private backroom deal) were absolute disgraces.

A thoroughly unprofessional means of dealing with an asset. IMHO. But surely not only MHO.

Petrov was well worth the risk. At the time, he was the second ranked Russian in the draft. It was also feared he may never come over. People also weren't sure if his age was accurate (some felt he was actually older).

We had lots of picks in that draft. Those are the kind of homerun swings you go for when you have extra darts.

What Russian-related tidbit hurt a lot during the Snow era was when he skipped over Buchnevich (3rd round) to grab McAdam (goalie). Having covered a lot of U18 hockey at the time, I was sold on Buchnevich being a first round talent. At the U18 in Sochi that year, he was clearly one of the 3 best players in the tournament - a tourney that featured no less than McDavid, Nylander, and Draisaitl.

f***ing Rangers always get what they want. Are you kidding me with this return? Disgusting that the Blackhawks just gave him away.

To be fair, I believe Kane has a 2-team protection list as part of his contract.

Chicago's hands are kind of tied.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
If we weren't quite sure where the Caps stand with the Orlov trade, we are now:
1677619712784.png

I too am surprised that they got Sandin here for a guy who was a tryout cut for us several camps back.

Then again, Gustafsson has 38 points and a +9 this season. That'll cost ya.

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Atlanta
It really is a tale of 2 realisms on this board, per usual.

First you have the "want to make the playoffs crowd" who really have no real faith that the Islanders are contenders, even with a couple of additions at the deadline but feel that goal alone is reason enough to trade even more of the few assets we have left. They say things like we are "in a playoff spot" but know damn well that so many games in hand from teams behind us make that a falsehood where odds actually have us currently as the THIRD most likely to take that final 8th spot.

To say nothing about how loaded the East is- and who we would be facing should we get that spot. A team that is on pace to break the single season record for wins and have outscored us 14-6 this season (3-0).

To say nothing about other loaded East teams (the only ones with a fair chance of beating the Bruins) who are adding significant pieces themselves during this deadline.

To say nothing about the fact we lost our best player for who knows how long and are still waiting for the return of our 3C- a team that can ill afford such losses because of our lack of depth at forward.

And then you have the more realistic group of fans who want no less to see the Islanders in the postseason- but not at the expense of trading away more assets (or I would argue not trading for more assets with expiring players)- UNLESS WE HAVE A CHANCE OF CONTENDING.

They realize they are still a LONGSHOT to make the playoffs and literally have NO CHANCE of contending this season for the myriad of reasons mentioned above, so as much as it hurts they want THE FUTURE (2023-24 and beyond) to be more in the forefront than simply "trying" to make the playoffs this season...

Unfortunately Lou embraces the former group and the later just has to watch more bad decisions being made and hope Sorokin becomes God in Net to justify it....
We're not winning the Cup anyway.

• Haha
Reactions: PK Cronin

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
This would be such a Lou move.

Imagine us hearing almost simultaneously that two Islanders moves have taken place.

Lou sends Bailey, Aho, and Holmstrom to St. Louis for Parayko, Greiss, and a '24 4th.
Lou sends Mayfield and Varlamov to Edmonton for Janmark, Foegele, Kulak, Bourgault, Munzenberger, '23 1st, and '24 2nd.

This time of the year is fun...

I have never wanted a team to get bounced in the first round more than I do the Rags. The high I would feel might very well extend my life by five years.

The only thing better is if we'd be the team to do it.

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
Engvall is clearly a rental. Big guy, good third liner but more than anything we helped Leafs create more cap space room. I dont see who this guy replaces unless its part of another move we are going to make.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
After the Engvall trade we still have a little over $5mil in Cap I believe

Can he skate and hit? Does he hate losing? That's all I care about, and play the French kid!
Supposedly he isn’t a tough guy but forechecks really hard and plays defense and has some finishing ability

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
After the Engvall trade we still have a little over $5mil in Cap I believe

Supposedly he isn’t a tough guy but forechecks really hard and plays defense and has some finishing ability
remember he scored a few annoying goals against us lately. Ehhh, not my money, it's an NHL body and player to fill in for these injuries. Just a rental, I guess

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad