Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
f*** the scorched earth bullshit that never works and takes forever to return to competency. I am a fan of turning some of the roster over though, get a little younger and faster, but thats something that can be addressed in the offseason.

I'm right there with you. Find a way to get rid of Bailey and replace him with someone in their mid 20's.

What in the hell does this mean when LTIR contracts keep getting moved? This league is ass backwards sometimes.

The NHL seems to pick and choose when they want to enforce these rules. It's cool for teams to fake getting to the cap floor before the season starts but not abuse the system with the LTIR loophole during the season...after a team already did that.

Reactions: Skip To My Lou

Glorydays22

Nov 21, 2011
I’m talking about the Isles. The reality is this team hasn’t drafted well since Jimmy D left decades ago. Sure they had the occasional good pick but this franchise doesn’t have a history of drafting well besides Jimmy D.
I'm talking about the Isles....Hextall drafted players like Nelson, Pelech, Sorokin and others

Reactions: mm11

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Big night - Ottawa and Detroit play again in Ottawa again (make up game from earlier in the season) Ottawa smoked them last night- let’s see but Ottawa has looked very good recently.

Tampa and Florida - Tampa looks to avenge their blow out loss from last week.

Buffalo plays Columbus.

Isles play Minny and a solid road win tonight or even a point will go a long way!

Lou has the cap space to add come Friday and it could be depth pieces a bottom 6 F more likely than D - the depth at Bridgeport has shown they can cover it and we haven’t even seen Grant Hutton.

The surprise big ticket item - comes in the form of Chychrun, Crouse, Schmaltz, Domi, Boeser, or Garland.

Domi and Hawks are working on extension. Lou unwilling to pay price for Chycrun but who knows. Crouse, Schmaltz, Garland, and Boeser would mean Bailey goes the other way since all have term. If there is a surprise deal- I predict it is Chychrun.

Otherwise let’s enjoy Nick Bjugstad!

I don't see the Islanders having the pieces to get Chychrun at the current asking price. Maybe the price comes down after nobody makes an offer and everyone is maxed out on the cap but we'll see.

The Wahligator

Nov 27, 2015
Long Island
I don't see the Islanders having the pieces to get Chychrun at the current asking price. Maybe the price comes down after nobody makes an offer and everyone is maxed out on the cap but we'll see.
A report came out saying ARI asked PIT for '25 and '26 firsts in a package for Chychrun, so I'd say they do have the assets, it just comes down to if Lou is willing to deal even more picks. My guess is yes as he certainly won't be around by the time those picks are NHLers.

Reactions: PK Cronin

SI

Feb 16, 2013
I thought the same, but when I see 2025 and 2026 draft picks get floated out there- I think it is possible. Toronto and Tampa have made the dive and I can see Lou making that dive.

If Lou is willing to give up Bolduc, 2024*, and 2025 1sts. 2024 conditional on if they make the playoffs this season. if they don’t then 2024 becomes a 2026.

Lou could still resign Mayfield or choose to use that cap space on a younger top 6, like Bertuzzi.

BEFORE i get roasted - let me say that this how LOU comes up with the asking price not what I want. But I guess I wouldn’t be mad ;)

Reactions: PK Cronin

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
A report came out saying ARI asked PIT for '25 and '26 firsts in a package for Chychrun, so I'd say they do have the assets, it just comes down to if Lou is willing to deal even more picks. My guess is yes as he certainly won't be around by the time those picks are NHLers.

I thought the same, but when I see 2025 and 2026 draft picks get floated out there- I think it is possible. Toronto and Tampa have made the dive and I can see Lou making that dive.

If Lou is willing to give up Bolduc, 2024*, and 2025 1sts. 2024 conditional on if they make the playoffs this season. if they don’t then 2024 becomes a 2026.

Lou could still resign Mayfield or choose to use that cap space on a younger top 6, like Bertuzzi.

BEFORE i get roasted - let me say that this how LOU comes up with the asking price not what I want. But I guess I wouldn’t be mad ;)

As you can both see from my previous posts in this thread, I'm certainly not against trading picks but man is that a risky proposition. The reason I don't like going that far out is because you're using a lot of trade capital in the future for something that will help the team now, but we're not sure what the team will need then. The Islanders aren't a team looking to add the final piece and I think that's more a final piece situation. I think those firsts could be better spent on something else.

Reactions: The Real JT

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
Big night - Ottawa and Detroit play again in Ottawa again (make up game from earlier in the season) Ottawa smoked them last night- let’s see but Ottawa has looked very good recently.

Tampa and Florida - Tampa looks to avenge their blow out loss from last week.

Buffalo plays Columbus.

Isles play Minny and a solid road win tonight or even a point will go a long way!

Lou has the cap space to add come Friday and it could be depth pieces a bottom 6 F more likely than D - the depth at Bridgeport has shown they can cover it and we haven’t even seen Grant Hutton.

The surprise big ticket item - comes in the form of Chychrun, Crouse, Schmaltz, Domi, Boeser, or Garland.

Domi and Hawks are working on extension. Lou unwilling to pay price for Chycrun but who knows. Crouse, Schmaltz, Garland, and Boeser would mean Bailey goes the other way since all have term. If there is a surprise deal- I predict it is Chychrun.

Otherwise let’s enjoy Nick Bjugstad!
what's up SI!

glad i bumped into you....you are the man in terms of schedule forecasting.....how we looking??

The Wahligator

Nov 27, 2015
Long Island
As you can both see from my previous posts in this thread, I'm certainly not against trading picks but man is that a risky proposition. The reason I don't like going that far out is because you're using a lot of trade capital in the future for something that will help the team now, but we're not sure what the team will need then. The Islanders aren't a team looking to add the final piece and I think that's more a final piece situation. I think those firsts could be better spent on something else.
It's a risk for sure no doubt about it, also worth noting he has questionable injury history as well so there's definitely question marks. I disagree that the firsts could be better spent on something else, though. I don't think it's a missing piece move- I see it as if you can add a core player that could play for your team for -10ish years, you do it. He's a 25 year old cost controlled all situations D. He'd instantly be our best defenseman and a top 5 player on the team.

There's so much that could happen between now and 25-26...I would add the core player now and deal with that down the road.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
I'm right there with you. Find a way to get rid of Bailey and replace him with someone in their mid 20's.

The NHL seems to pick and choose when they want to enforce these rules. It's cool for teams to fake getting to the cap floor before the season starts but not abuse the system with the LTIR loophole during the season...after a team already did that.

Exactly. Id take it even a bit further and try to move Bailey/Clutterbuck/Palmieri. Open up some cap space to make room for another top 6 forward. Hell id even move Pulock and than flip whatever assets we get for him + more for Chychrun.

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
Ya, again peeps are clamoring in on responses that aren't AT ALL what the second group (more realistic fans) are even saying.

No one in that group was AGAINST the Horvat trade or even the price it took to get him BECAUSE OF THE EXTENSION he signed....period. So continuing to make that part of the argument is just tooting your own horn or something because it isn't being argued (I certainly haven't suggested it).

Getting Horvat is a long term play as well (since he signed an extension) and NO ONE in the second group is AGAINST a similar type move (even to a lesser degree) in acquiring someone with term either.

Of course due to our lack of assets, the likelihood that Lou pulls off another trade like that is slim to none. No, it is MUCH MORE LIKELY that he trades what few assets we have left to get a marginal player(s) and they will indeed be RENTALS.

No, I can't get on the "with Sorokin anything can happen" train if it means trading away more assets for rental players. Sorry, I still see the bigger picture and coupled with the Barzal loss just don't see any additions really changing our longshot chances of contending this season.

No, the truth is Lou should have done more in the offseason. We should have moved Varlamov when teams were paying above market for goalies and used whatever cap space (we simply couldn't afford a 5 million backup goalie) to get some more depth. He did little to nothing to our team that simply DIDNT HAVE THE DEPTH to offset long absences of Pelech, Palmieri, JPG, Barzal, etc.....coupled with the injury to Wahlstrom and the transformation of Bailey turning into someone who probably shouldnt even be on a NHL roster anymore.

Of course the longer you wait the less value trading Varly and Mayfield are going to have. Many teams have already added a D to their team for the stretch run and my guess is most teams know Lou isn't moving his backup goaltender by now as well (he had that position when MANY MORE TEAMS were needing help in net prior to the season beginning).

It also perplexes me completely how some posters on here continue to use having both of them in the future (new deals) continue to use that as justification to not move them. Huh? If they want to be back next season they both control their own destiny as they are UFA's. Why is it we can't move them and secure assets and still not sign them after the season? I can list example after example where a player has returned back to the same team who just traded them at the previous deadline.

As it stands now (and I dont really see a change of fate) the Islanders ARE NOT contending this season and putting out examples where it is possible- or talking about how the best team hardly ever wins (it is never a really inconsistent team either), etc is just smoke and mirrors really. The odds we make the playoffs alone is unlikely, odds we compete in the East are slim (regardless of what moves we make) and the chances of getting that 4 decade long awaited hardware is nil....

Reactions: Ishkabible

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
I’m talking about the Isles. The reality is this team hasn’t drafted well since Jimmy D left decades ago. Sure they had the occasional good pick but this franchise doesn’t have a history of drafting well besides Jimmy D.

Do you mean they just plain haven't drafted well or that they haven't drafted well in comparison to other teams?

I mean, the 2008 and 2009 drafts led to an overtly high rate of regular NHLers. And the 10-13 drafts each led to a player who is currently a core player on this team (Nelson, Mayfield, Pelech, and Pulock) plus Niederreiter, Strome, and Burroughs.

I mean, sure, it feels like they haven't been particularly good drafters. I think much of that has to do with how messers Reinhart, Dal Colle, Ho-Sang, and Bellows turned out.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
what's up SI!

glad i bumped into you....you are the man in terms of schedule forecasting.....how we looking??
Hey Mike,

isles have games mainly against teams they are going head to head with - 3 games with Caps, 2 with Buffalo, 1 with Pens, and 1 with Detroit. 8 out of 18 after today.

Then 5 against teams that are out of the playoffs and 5 against teams over 500 - Devils, Tampa, Toronto, Canes, and Kings.

IMO, it all comes down to the H2H matches with teams they are fighting for. I predicted 3rd place at the beginning of the season and although it looked bleak - I think 1st wildcard is very possible

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte
Do you mean they just plain haven't drafted well or that they haven't drafted well in comparison to other teams?

I mean, the 2008 and 2009 drafts led to an overtly high rate of regular NHLers. And the 10-13 drafts each led to a player who is currently a core player on this team (Nelson, Mayfield, Pelech, and Pulock) plus Niederreiter, Strome, and Burroughs.

I mean, sure, it feels like they haven't been particularly good drafters. I think much of that has to do with how messers Reinhart, Dal Colle, Ho-Sang, and Bellows turned out.
In comparison to other teams. The Isles have hit on a few late round picks but their overall record on first and second round picks over the years hasn’t been good IMO.

Reactions: LBloor

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte
Ya, again peeps are clamoring in on responses that aren't AT ALL what the second group (more realistic fans) are even saying.

No one in that group was AGAINST the Horvat trade or even the price it took to get him BECAUSE OF THE EXTENSION he signed....period. So continuing to make that part of the argument is just tooting your own horn or something because it isn't being argued (I certainly haven't suggested it).

Getting Horvat is a long term play as well (since he signed an extension) and NO ONE in the second group is AGAINST a similar type move (even to a lesser degree) in acquiring someone with term either.

Of course due to our lack of assets, the likelihood that Lou pulls off another trade like that is slim to none. No, it is MUCH MORE LIKELY that he trades what few assets we have left to get a marginal player(s) and they will indeed be RENTALS.

No, I can't get on the "with Sorokin anything can happen" train if it means trading away more assets for rental players. Sorry, I still see the bigger picture and coupled with the Barzal loss just don't see any additions really changing our longshot chances of contending this season.

No, the truth is Lou should have done more in the offseason. We should have moved Varlamov when teams were paying above market for goalies and used whatever cap space (we simply couldn't afford a 5 million backup goalie) to get some more depth. He did little to nothing to our team that simply DIDNT HAVE THE DEPTH to offset long absences of Pelech, Palmieri, JPG, Barzal, etc.....coupled with the injury to Wahlstrom and the transformation of Bailey turning into someone who probably shouldnt even be on a NHL roster anymore.

Of course the longer you wait the less value trading Varly and Mayfield are going to have. Many teams have already added a D to their team for the stretch run and my guess is most teams know Lou isn't moving his backup goaltender by now as well (he had that position when MANY MORE TEAMS were needing help in net prior to the season beginning).

It also perplexes me completely how some posters on here continue to use having both of them in the future (new deals) continue to use that as justification to not move them. Huh? If they want to be back next season they both control their own destiny as they are UFA's. Why is it we can't move them and secure assets and still not sign them after the season? I can list example after example where a player has returned back to the same team who just traded them at the previous deadline.

As it stands now (and I dont really see a change of fate) the Islanders ARE NOT contending this season and putting out examples where it is possible- or talking about how the best team hardly ever wins (it is never a really inconsistent team either), etc is just smoke and mirrors really. The odds we make the playoffs alone is unlikely, odds we compete in the East are slim (regardless of what moves we make) and the chances of getting that 4 decade long awaited hardware is nil....
What teams paid over market prices for a goalie last offseason? And give me examples of a team trading a player that was about to be a UFA who resigned with his old team.

I think you severely over rate the potential return for Varly and Mayfield and the potential trade of other older players to open cap room. I’m not under any illusion this team is a cup favorite. That doesn’t mean I won’t watch the playoffs or root for them not to make the playoffs.

I’n all for getting younger and faster. But I’m against a complete fire sale just to get draft picks. I obviously think this team is closer to contending than you do. If the Isles could dump Bailey contract and replace with a legit top 6 forward that would be a significant help. Dump Aho and play Bolduc. Get back to a more defensive oriented system. Get healthy. All steps towards competing next year.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
Hey Mike,

isles have games mainly against teams they are going head to head with - 3 games with Caps, 2 with Buffalo, 1 with Pens, and 1 with Detroit. 8 out of 18 after today.

Then 5 against teams that are out of the playoffs and 5 against teams over 500 - Devils, Tampa, Toronto, Canes, and Kings.

IMO, it all comes down to the H2H matches with teams they are fighting for. I predicted 3rd place at the beginning of the season and although it looked bleak - I think 1st wildcard is very possible
thanks for the reply....like coming your way when i'm back on parole in 40 days!!

i too have optimism....pens can get hot but they are in disarray. Ottawa probably a bit too far back, Detroit has been hot but looked fatigued last night vs Sens and it seemed to me that when Ottawa took the lead, Wings had a letdown....only one game though....Buffalo is way too loose in their own end and goal tending is a bit spotty

i thought 50/50 at beginning.... it's probably that now too although in my feeble mind, i have more hope than that!

GOLFWANG

Jul 20, 2007
2012 and 2014 drafts both hurt us a lot

how do you strike out on two top 5 picks within 2 years.

We seem to draft better later in the draft past the first round, where we have found some decent NHL players not amazing but decent and we might see that trend continue with players like Liukas, Dufour, Maggio.

The fact we can't draft well in the first rounds and then not be able to attract the top free agent hurts us a lot, we have to do one of them at least to be more successful.

NC 1972

Dec 8, 2017
Players must see it as a HUGE inconvenience to be traded at the TDL....

I mean regarding players like Varly and Mayfield who are going to UFA, but probably want to stay with their original teams. Unless they are just saying it for the cameras...

I guess I can't put myself in their skates, but to help out the team, get a shot at the cup and return like 2/3 months later and re-sign with the original team...I dono..it doesn't sound like a big deal to me..especially the extra money if you make it past a round or 2 or more..

What am I missing?
Johnny boy said it for the cameras right , wanted to be an Islander for life.

• Haha
Reactions: MarsTBOW

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

Not sure why you didn't just reply to me. I asked if you were upset about it, not that you were (more of a general you/rhetorical since I knew you didn't specifically).

Okay, we can all be upset when that happens.

I don't know how many different ways I can write the same thing. Nobody is advocating for rentals.

I agree he should've done more, but he didn't, and the team is now in a playoff spot (whether you want to believe that or not). They've managed to do exactly what you're saying they didn't, they have withstood those injuries.

Back to wanting to sell.

It's happened, but it's not exactly common.

I get it, you're the only one who can determine who is or isn't contending and everything else is smoke and mirrors.

The chance of getting the Stanley Cup any year is close to nil. That's how professional sports works.

Just seems like you're only a "realist" when it fits your narrative, otherwise it's smoke and mirrors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad