Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
Extending clutterbuck is still baffling to me. Despite the small price.
For what isles signed clutterbuck for it’s not baffling, he is still useful fourth liner and penalty killer. Our problem isn’t Clutterbuck or Martin or Cizikas it’s top six forwards. IF they could manage to score twice out of every ten PPs this team probably would have 8-10 more points than they do right now.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
For what isles signed clutterbuck for it’s not baffling, he is still useful fourth liner and penalty killer. Our problem isn’t Clutterbuck or Martin or Cizikas it’s top six forwards. IF they could manage to score twice out of every ten PPs this team probably would have 8-10 more points than they do right now.
Clutterbuck is just old. He barely can play for a full season now. the time to trade him was last season and they whiffed on it.

Rybo

Dec 27, 2022
New Jersey
Pelech, Dobson, Barzal and Sorokin are the only things I’m keeping at this point, everything else can be discussed.
That isnt how this works and is exactly why NY is where they are at rn

If youre firing the GM and a bunch of other staff and moving multiple longtime veterans, youre tearing it down now retooling. And especially not around a core with ONE guy under 25.

The Islanders are either going to let loose everyone in management and tear it down and hope the cap goes up to trade dead weight, as well as everyone you listed but maybe Dobson and especially Sorokin who is as anti-tank as an asset can be.

Or they stick with Lou and you hope he can throw a miracle pass downfield and somehow drop dead weight on one of the two teams that can afford it

There is no retool. It should have been done slow and right the first time after a 20yo Barzal scored 88 with Pelech and Pulock and Nelson and add around those over the next 2-3 drafts where the Devils (and was supposed to be Rangers) did their most damage drafting and trading and signing with cap space

The odds that the Islanders compete in the playoffs again with Barzal in an Islanders uniform is slim and anyone whos realistic knows this. Hes the 'old core', if it could even be called a core. Surrounded by old slow veterans.

Better hope ownership sees it because Sorokin/Barzal/Pulock/Pelech/etc is quite the head start on a rebuild, which teams like NJ and Anaheim and Detroit did not have (again a time we can laugh at the NYR). Dont fumble it.

Reactions: impaaaaaact

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
After the "lack of response" to the Pageau hit last game, one might think Johnston would dress tonight just because

If he's not gonna suit up, why have him at all
After watching the game, it's easy to see why, this Bruins team really doesn't go out of it's way to hit or get nasty. They just play fast and smart.

Reactions: Mike C

BrockLobster

Feb 11, 2013
Long Beach, NY
It was unnecessary. He is part of the growing list of dead weight on this putrid roster.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
The odds that the Islanders compete in the playoffs again with Barzal in an Islanders uniform is slim and anyone whos realistic knows this. Hes the 'old core', if it could even be called a core. Surrounded by old slow veterans.
I don't think you made a case (asserting something, and then accusing anyone who disagrees as disingenious is not convincing).

One thing all of these injuries ought to teach us is that future cap numbers don't necessarily indicate future cap constraint. It is overwhelmingly likely that at least one of Lee or Palmieri will spend the final year or two of their contracts on LTIR (i think it's more likely Lee remains healthy). Neither contract is buyout proofed.

Bailey doesn't even have to be dealt or bought out. You keep him next year, and then his contract expires. Ditto for Beauvillier. Of course, NYI could try to trade the latter, if there's a fit.

Nelson is tradeable, and maybe in the offseason. He should be moved. If one retains 1-1.5M AAV on Pageau, he could easily become an asset (he would be a great fit for a team like the Avs).

You don't only have to get picks in return, you can get projectible 'spects. Having a defensive core (Pelech, Dobson, Sorokin) gives NYI a solid basis to retool.

I think NYI should take next year, put Raty in the lineup every day, have Barzal PK, allow Pelech to be certain about his recovery, and play out the negotiation/decision with Sorokin. No pressure, or expectations to make the playoffs, be open to every opportunity, but not "tank". The Dallas Stars should be the model. Draft projectable forwards in quantity, fill in as needed. Even the veterans who are on "terrible" contracts now contribute. Dallas did it with only 1 top-5 pick, which was the result of a lottery jump. That sort of thing is not unthinkable. NYI are now 14th worst in points %. that number, especially if Pelech continues to be out, could easily drop to what? 10th? With a little luck, that could result in a very good pick.

And even if NYI don't get a top-10 pick, if they can find a way to another late first round pick, they could add someone like Riley Heidt at 15 (I like the way he plays), AND a guy like Colby Barlow close to the end of the round. IMO Heidt is easily better than anyone NYI could have picked at #9 last year.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Not when some of those pieces are not movable (Lee) or will return value (Mayfield, Nelson, Pulock, Varlamov, etc.)
Lee is a 25-30 goal scorer on a team that doesn't score. Lee should be one of the last guys you try to move.

Signing Clutterbuck to play what will amount to 55-60 games a year and then have to scramble to cover his absences was quite baffling.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I think NYI should take next year, put Raty in the lineup every day, have Barzal PK, allow Pelech to be certain about his recovery, and play out the negotiation/decision with Sorokin. No pressure, or expectations to make the playoffs, be open to every opportunity, but not "tank". The Dallas Stars should be the model. Draft projectable forwards in quantity, fill in as needed. Even the veterans who are on "terrible" contracts now contribute. Dallas did it with only 1 top-5 pick, which was the result of a lottery jump. That sort of thing is not unthinkable. NYI are now 14th worst in points %. that number, especially if Pelech continues to be out, could easily drop to what? 10th? With a little luck, that could result in a very good pick.
I wouldn't wait much longer than after the All Star Break to do this part.

Soon it will be time for Lou and Lane to make some tough choices. Try to get Mayfield extended or must we move on from him, tell some core vets that they're not part of our future, bring up Raty and let him finish the season here, perhaps move Cizikas to winger to accomodate this move. And the move I would probably hate (because I hate firing a coach after only 50+ games) but should be considered, is Lane Lambert a good coach or did the guys in the room get too cozy with themselves after getting the GMs vote of confidence last season, because I get a sense the team dynamic has changed for the worse since then.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
I wouldn't wait much longer than after the All Star Break to do this part.

Soon it will be time for Lou and Lane to make some tough choices. Try to get Mayfield extended or must we move on from him, tell some core vets that they're not part of our future, bring up Raty and let him finish the season here, perhaps move Cizikas to winger to accomodate this move. And the move I would probably hate (because I hate firing a coach after only 50+ games) but should be considered, is Lane Lambert a good coach or did the guys in the room get too cozy with themselves after getting the GMs vote of confidence last season, because I get a sense the team dynamic has changed for the worse since then.
well we weren't having problems back in October or November with this team. these guys made comebacks at least. now they just play flat. what the hell happened?

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
well we weren't having problems back in October or November with this team. these guys made comebacks at least. now they just play flat. what the hell happened?
Pelech, Palmieri and Wally were all in the lineup then. We're a black hole on RW now. And Pelech was off to a 35-point season too. Lots of missing offense.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Pelech, Palmieri and Wally were all in the lineup then. We're a black hole on RW now. And Pelech was off to a 35-point season too. Lots of missing offense.
but to just fall off a cliff without three players is even worse. just terrible.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Fool’s Gold. We were doing that against some Western Conference teams who are notoriously bereft of goaltending and defense.

Again, don’t fall in love with what you see in October and April. When the season becomes a grind, that’s when you see your team’s character.

Reactions: Osakahaus

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
i would kill to be in the place of avalanche fans lmao.
Then root for them.

5 games over .500 with Rantanen and MacKinnon lighting it up and Lehkonen too.

By the way, for all the Girard fans, he's having a brutal season at $5 million per for FOUR MORE YEARS after this.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Fool’s Gold. We were doing that against some Western Conference teams who are notoriously bereft of goaltending and defense.

Again, don’t fall in love with what you see in October and April. When the season becomes a grind, that’s when you see your team’s character.
and now we're too far from any possible tank, but also too close to a "playoff" berth. its frustrating to just be in that middle ground.

Reactions: MJF

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
and now we're too far from any possible tank, but also too close to a "playoff" berth. its frustrating to just be in that middle ground.
I suspect the players and coach's/GM are also feeling that

You root and take your chances! I've been there since the first season. My passion is the same since. Good and Bad years.

Tahoeblue

Nov 29, 2019
Reno/Tahoe
So much to digest from all the comments here and this teams recent slide. My preferred bottom 9 next season.

Parise CC Fasching
Holmstrom JGP Wally

Top 6
Lee Nelson upgrade
upgrade. Barzal Palms

Reactions: impaaaaaact

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Then root for them.

By the way, for all the Girard fans, he's having a brutal season at $5 million per for FOUR MORE YEARS after this.
The Avalanche look like they’re having a season-long Stanley Cup hangover.

Reactions: Osakahaus

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Then root for them.

Colorado is at least trying. They had the injury excuses and their star player at least carried filth. What is Barzal's excuse? I love mat but my god, someday he has to put on his big boy pants. Im not trying to sound jealous or whiny, i'm saying that Colorado has still been able to stick around and they'll still make the playoffs, and even if they fail they still did something the isles couldn't: beat tampa for a cup.

I suspect the players and coach's/GM are also feeling that

You root and take your chances! I've been there since the first season. My passion is the same since. Good and Bad years.
right now we are literally having a rerun of 2018. Its almost identical to the garbage of Doug Weight hockey.

Reactions: MJF
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad