Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheWhiteWhale30

Dec 3, 2007
Realistically Johnston at this point is a better player than Martin and has been for a while.

Every time I see guys like Fasching come up in a bottom six role and play well it bothers me that we've got Clutterbuck and Martin signed taking up roster spots. Loved when Lou gave out the Johnston contract because I envisioned it as a Martin takeover at some point, not that he would just take up the last roster spot forever.
Have to disagree. Last year it looked like Martin was just about done. He clearly put in some extra work this summer, as he is having a very good year. On pace for 22 points, which would be a career high. He is also a +4 on the season and is 4th in the league in hits. He also has stayed healthy playing 44/45 games. For me he is quietly having a really good season. His offense is on this year and hasn’t taken a step back anywhere else. I doubt he has many good years left but for now he beats out Ross easily. I’d like to see Martin brought back in another 1 year deal and see a line of Martin- Cizikas - Fasching

gordie43

Nov 21, 2008
Agreed. I’m not saying Varly is a bad goalie. It’s just a fact of life. When you pay someone more, then there is less of the pie to go around.
Just a reminder that Varlamov, at the time, was signed to be the starter for the length of the contract. Five million would be a decent price for a number one goalie, but by sheer luck the isles were able to get Sorokin to come play in the NHL, relegating Varlamov to be a $5 million backup.

No way to be upset at the Varlamov salary when you look at what happened over the length of his contract

Reactions: MJF

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
I hear you, I think Lou mis-calculated what he had. It might of been better if Trotz didn’t have immediate success which could of allowed time for some accumulation of assets to make a more serious run a year or 2 later. As it stands from my point of view, Lou needs to relinquish his GM duties and focus on building the Islanders brand as President only.
Love to see a Mark Hunter GM hire
i'd kill to see a GM thats from the tampa or st.louis brass. give me someone who knows how to build.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
I hear you, I think Lou mis-calculated what he had. It might of been better if Trotz didn’t have immediate success which could of allowed time for some accumulation of assets to make a more serious run a year or 2 later. As it stands from my point of view, Lou needs to relinquish his GM duties and focus on building the Islanders brand as President only.
Love to see a Mark Hunter GM hire
I'd settle for Ian Hunter at this point

Reactions: Top Corner

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island
Still a bit butt hurt from last night and the effort this team (and don't forget the coaches) is putting out. So few players on this team are living up to their contract right now but on a positive note have to give a shoutout to Parise (yes I know he is on a buyout) but definitely appreciate all of the little things he does and the effort he is giving out, the hustle, taking the body against guys twice his size. As a team, we have been a step (or maybe 2) slower than our opponents game in and game out but Parise at $750K, has been standing out to me recently. IMO Parise and Fasching were our two best forwards last night (there may be be a few others living up to their contract, Sorokin at $4M obviously, and Mayfield at $1.45 but not seeing that extra gear when we need it from many of our guys)

Hoping they surprise me and find another gear in the coming weeks as a team, but I can't help but feel the coaching, gm and every player, especially those with a C or an A on their uniform, needs to be held accountable for the effort on the ice.

Reactions: Lek

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
Still a bit butt hurt from last night and the effort this team (and don't forget the coaches) is putting out. So few players on this team are living up to their contract right now but on a positive note have to give a shoutout to Parise (yes I know he is on a buyout) but definitely appreciate all of the little things he does and the effort he is giving out, the hustle, taking the body against guys twice his size. As a team, we have been a step (or maybe 2) slower than our opponents game in and game out but Parise at $750K, has been standing out to me recently. IMO Parise and Fasching were our two best forwards last night (there may be be a few others living up to their contract, Sorokin at $4M obviously, and Mayfield at $1.45 but not seeing that extra gear when we need it from many of our guys)

Hoping they surprise me and find another gear in the coming weeks as a team, but I can't help but feel the coaching, gm and every player, especially those with a C or an A on their uniform, needs to be held accountable for the effort on the ice.
Did you see the effort in front of the net by Parise on Aho's goal??

The "C" belongs on Pageau, "A" on Parise.....Keep an "A" on Cal if you want

Seamstress can take the rest of the day off

Reactions: Lek and duster19

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
We all knew what Eberle's flaw was (he couldn't win a battle). Yeah, he was streaky, but the guy has a feel for spacing that is one of the most overlooked features of a scoring winger.
The guy was routinely torched by this fanbase. Good for him to be on a team/fanbase that he is appreciated.

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
Will palmieri ever heal? Seems like hes been out a month and i have no idea why. Never thought id miss him.

He’s been skating forever. Pelech now seems farther along. He’s clearly had a setback but Lou doesn’t give us fans table scraps let alone injury information. Same thing happened last year.

Cholowski up now for Witherspoon. Maybe Lou should have signed a depth Dman in the off-season.

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
Eberle is just another name in the long list of Isles forwards that didn’t get it done.

Is there really anything left to be said?

Reactions: MJF and PK Cronin

Top Corner

Feb 27, 2002
Mtl
Visit site
We all knew what Eberle's flaw was (he couldn't win a battle). Yeah, he was streaky, but the guy has a feel for spacing that is one of the most overlooked features of a scoring winger.
What Eberle had that a lot of the current Isles don't have is an offensive Skill set and he could mesh with the most important offensive guy (Barzal) and at least making the Isles look like they have a Watered down first line where opposition couldn't just focus on Barzal. Until they fix it, we will struggle at times

Reactions: beach
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad