Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Real JT

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss. :(
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Take barzal off team and theyre down there with the ducks and jackets

Say that about Sorokin and I would agree with your statement.
I agree with both of you.

Scary thought that we’re one injury away from oblivion. Losing Pelech was a big blow but if one of those other two (Sorokin>Barzal) were injured long term then we’re screwed.

To be fair you could play this game with virtually any team in the league.
Not all teams. Some good teams would sink to NHL .500 which would be way better than our lot.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I agree with both of you.

Scary thought that we’re one injury away from oblivion. Losing Pelech was a big blow but if one of those other two (Sorokin>Barzal) were injured long term then we’re screwed.

Not all teams. Some good teams would sink to NHL .500 which would be way better than our lot.
We’ve been hovering around 13-16 overall most of the season. Nothing special here

NC 1972

Dec 8, 2017
BAHAHAHAHAHA

Pierre Turrgeon had more of an impact on his Isles teams than Mat Barzal had on his.

This edition of the Islanders is the closest thing to a 100% team effort than any other.

The amount of genuflecting to this guy is unbelievable here sometimes.
I loved Turgeon
I mean... I take the moral to this story be about the importance of player unionization and free agency. Why should such a player like Kiner perform as he did, then have an owner hold his organizational failings over said player’s right to fair compensation.

As for Barzal, well he has proven already that he is good enough to be an important member to a highly competitive team. Even at a higher salary, I don't see how that would be a hinderance to helping a club win a cup. Maybe it's not meant to be the Isles because the rest of their salary structure... but that also comes back to the Isles ownership and management
Hahaha

No, he hasn’t.

C’mon Turgeon played ina totally different NHL - he never played a 200’ game and was soft - put up a ton of points, but again in a totally different NHL.

This Barzal bashing is really reaching idiocy levels - it’s making this place unbearable.
It was a much more physical league back then and you had to fight for every inch of ice, many players would love playing now with the way penalties are called .And the Islanders won that trade with Turgeon Krupp and Houge coming over. Offensive players like Bossy and Turgeon were often targeted.

Reactions: CRYHAVOC and MJF

Top Corner

Feb 27, 2002
Mtl
Visit site
After watching yesterday’s game, assuming Lou could of had a chance to sign Milano, I didn’t see anything that said he couldn’t have made this roster better. Lou just seems fixated on his type of guys and it ain’t working

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
After watching yesterday’s game, assuming Lou could of had a chance to sign Milano, I didn’t see anything that said he couldn’t have made this roster better. Lou just seems fixated on his type of guys and it ain’t working

It becomes dangerous when you start believing your own spin.

if you still think this team buys after this homestand, you're insane. Boston better cave us in 8-0.

We will be out of it when the deadline comes. We are losing touch as is. Teams are just slowly pulling away from us. we are more in the Florida Buf world then the playoffs.

MarsTBOW

Jun 30, 2014
Ct.
I would give him a shot over Beau...
I think they have the same problems, but at least he is bigger than Beau and is from the Island.
Would be much cheaper :sarcasm:

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
It’s early but passing on Tolvanen might end up looking like a big mistake. I don’t get passing on that sort of upside when you have injuries and underperforming players.

Reactions: Top Corner and Lek

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
It’s early but passing on Tolvanen might end up looking like a big mistake. I don’t get passing on that sort of upside when you have injuries and underperforming players.
what passing? you mean that passing up on a young player with a decent shot might've been a mistake? never to lou lamoriello. to lamoriello he still believes that the game is old, slow, and methodical. Tolvanen would be 1000 times better than Bailey, Beau, Clutter, Johnston, and Martin, but Lamoriello is too stupid to think of a way to change the roster around.

So I further ask: what is a skilled player to lou lamoriello's eyes?

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
We will be out of it when the deadline comes. We are losing touch as is. Teams are just slowly pulling away from us. we are more in the Florida Buf world then the playoffs.
I hope. the last thing this team needs is false hope to further say we can compete. Our prospect pool is barren, our team is aging past expiration, and our fanbase is feeling impatient towards the GM and coach. The isles are only here because of sorokin. If we had just barzal and no sorokin, we're the same exact team as anaheim.

Reactions: Ishkabible

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
what passing? you mean that passing up on a young player with a decent shot might've been a mistake? never to lou lamoriello. to lamoriello he still believes that the game is old, slow, and methodical. Tolvanen would be 1000 times better than Bailey, Beau, Clutter, Johnston, and Martin, but Lamoriello is too stupid to think of a way to change the roster around.

So I further ask: what is a skilled player to lou lamoriello's eyes?

We protected Martin and clutterbuck in the expansion draft.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
That's kind of revisionary . . . the point was to get $5 million off the payroll, whether Bailey or Eberle.
It should've been bailey or martin. Eberle was a guy who at least could score. I understand the cap and all that, but when you replace Eberle with a guy who's less durable and at a near identical cap hit with palmieri, its malpractice.

Reactions: isles55

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
I hope. the last thing this team needs is false hope to further say we can compete. Our prospect pool is barren, our team is aging past expiration, and our fanbase is feeling impatient towards the GM and coach. The isles are only here because of sorokin. If we had just barzal and no sorokin, we're the same exact team as anaheim.

I can live with three types of deadline moves.

The first would be to offload salary straight up. While the off season is typically better to dump a player like Bailey with a draft pick or two, I am trying to do that at the deadline and get a jump on clearing space. I am willing to attach a second rounder+ (up to say an additional third rounder or B prospect) to get rid of him now. Although I guess the alternative would be to wait and just buyout Bailey in the off season.

I think a "lateral" move, like a Beauvillier for Boeser could also work, depending on what the long term plan will be. Or say Bailey for Vrana, if Detroit just wants to unload Vrana and is willing to take back whatever. Of course that means some due diligence on Vrana and his overall health. But it is clear that the Isles are starved for goal scorers and need to redistribute offense across multiple lines.

The final move I am OK with is making a "reasonable" trade for a player like Timo Meier, assuming he is extended immediately. To me, he is a young, cornerstone player you can retool/rebuild around.

The trades I am not OK with are draft picks/prospects for aging stopgaps or giving up quality assets for flawed players like JT Miller. No need to take on a potential headache and add to cap issues.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
The trades I am not OK with are draft picks/prospects for aging stopgaps or giving up quality assets for flawed players like JT Miller. No need to take on a potential headache and add to cap issues.
or another extension for guys like clutterbuck or parise.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
or another extension for guys like clutterbuck or parise.

That goes without saying, lol. But from your lips to Lou's ears.

I like what Fasching has provided and a fourth line of Johnston-Cizikas-Fasching, with maybe someone like Durandeau (currently in the AHL) spotted for Ross against more skilled teams, would be cheap and serviceable.

Reactions: Osakahaus

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
It should've been bailey or martin. Eberle was a guy who at least could score. I understand the cap and all that, but when you replace Eberle with a guy who's less durable and at a near identical cap hit with palmieri, its malpractice.

Palmieri wasn't really viewed as less durable at the time so that's not a fair criticism.

The whole goal was to replaced Eberle or Bailey with Palmieri, he succeeded. There really wasn't a way to guarantee Bailey would be selected or he would've likely done so.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Palmieri wasn't really viewed as less durable at the time so that's not a fair criticism.

The whole goal was to replaced Eberle or Bailey with Palmieri, he succeeded. There really wasn't a way to guarantee Bailey would be selected or he would've likely done so.
I know it isn't fair at all, but Palm's hasn't been healthy this season nor last season, and his scoring touch has been awful because he gets goals waived off a plenty. This is the biggest gripe I got with him. You can argue that he's solid, but solid on a team with too many middling players just doesn't cut it.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
I know it isn't fair at all, but Palm's hasn't been healthy this season nor last season, and his scoring touch has been awful because he gets goals waived off a plenty. This is the biggest gripe I got with him. You can argue that he's solid, but solid on a team with too many middling players just doesn't cut it.
the thing about it is that playoff/2nd half palms when productive pushes these other bags of shit down a notch and one of them off the ice as a scratch

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
and lamoriello never needed to do that. he flat out just GAVE the kraken a top 6 player.
That move was strategic to force the Kraken to take on Eberle or Bailey’s salary/cap. Context here is key as the market to ‘get rid of cap’ was (a) non-existent or (b) paying with cheap (picks) assets to encourage another team to take it on.

Also, Lou put a poison pill in Eberle’s contract that his salary during the year one of expansion was $7M (vs the $4.75 the year before and after it) as a deterrent to taking him.

Eberle was a decent player, but agreed the Isles needed to recoup those 25G. Eberle couldn’t hack it in the playoffs though so you had the regular seasons vs playoff series debate.

He hit the post a lot last year. For some players that’s not ok, for others it is, according to certain fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad