Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Wonder what the team would look like if we had just traded that pick for Dach instead of Romanov…
6'4 center, but garbage on the faceoff dot and still look all that great. I just wish it wasn't a first rounder for Romanov. its terrible asset management for someone who's been in the business for almost 50 years

Reactions: CRYHAVOC

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
While we're likely not headed for a top 3 selection, I think it's important to note here that there's a huge difference between a 13th-ish pick and a 22nd-ish pick. Barzal, Pulock, Dobson, and Wahlstrom were all in that 10-15 range. Bellows, Ho-Sang, Holmstrom and Beauvillier are our most recents from the 15-30 range. In such a strong draft that pick means more than in other seasons.

Of course we would be in better shape if we didn't whiff on our last four top 5 picks - Dal Colle, Reinhart, Strome, and Neiderreiter could have easily been Ehlers, Reilly, Zibanejad, and Skinner... and receiving a couple extra first rounders about 5 seasons ago probably would have bolstered us a bit too. But we didn't get any of that, and that's why we continue to be stuck in the middle.

Schneider at that time was not ‘mid player.’
oh I didn't see that part hahahaha

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
While we're likely not headed for a top 3 selection, I think it's important to note here that there's a huge difference between a 13th-ish pick and a 22nd-ish pick. Barzal, Pulock, Dobson, and Wahlstrom were all in that 10-15 range. Bellows, Ho-Sang, Holmstrom and Beauvillier are our most recents from the 15-30 range. In such a strong draft that pick means more than in other seasons.

Of course we would be in better shape if we didn't whiff on our last four top 5 picks - Dal Colle, Reinhart, Strome, and Neiderreiter could have easily been Ehlers, Reilly, Zibanejad, and Skinner... and receiving a couple extra first rounders about 5 seasons ago probably would have bolstered us a bit too. But we didn't get any of that, and that's why we continue to be stuck in the middle.

oh I didn't see that part hahahaha
Raise your hand if you wish the Isles drafted Kyle Connor over ice capades?

Reactions: ekill08x

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
I remember many isles fans wanting to deal the isles first round pick that year for Schneider.

I was all for it. Isles were at the time a goalie short. Unfortunately for Schneider injuries got in the way.

Schneider was an absolute animal in NJ while the Isles kept Nabokov and missed the playoffs the following season after their most successful season since Snow's first year as GM.

It is like people at this point are pointing to any trade Lou has made and saying "LOOK AT WHAT AWFUL MOVE HE DID." It is such lazy analysis. Especially with someone who has been in the league for as long as Lou where people can point out actual bad trades he has made.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Schneider was an absolute animal in NJ while the Isles kept Nabokov and missed the playoffs the following season after their most successful season since Snow's first year as GM.

It is like people at this point are pointing to any trade Lou has made and saying "LOOK AT WHAT AWFUL MOVE HE DID." It is such lazy analysis. Especially with someone who has been in the league for as long as Lou where people can point out actual bad trades he has made.
Schneider was 24 and emerging goalie -
He was great for NJ for a few years before the injuries piled up.

I think it might be best to ignore and not respond to these silly posts that are just inundating this board.

We won’t see any moves until mid February until then we should watch our team and when the dust settles as the TDL comes in to view - we’ll see where the team is at.

At the moment it is not looking too good.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Schneider was 24 and emerging goalie -
He was great for NJ for a few years before the injuries piled up.

I think it might be best to ignore and not respond to these silly posts that are just inundating this board.

We won’t see any moves until mid February until then we should watch our team and when the dust settles as the TDL comes in to view - we’ll see where the team is at.

At the moment it is not looking too good.

I don't see why at this point we aren't infusing Dufour and Raty at the very least in the every day lineup. While I understand the contract excuse with Raty this team just needs a different vibe in the room.

Players need to be dealt if they are not in a playoff position and the bottom line is if the core cannot get it done by the deadline they do not deserve to be buyers.

Pageau, Parise, Varlamov, and Mayfield should just be gone. Doubt anyone takes the Bailey contract. I have been saying for years Beau is not strong enough on the puck and the man strength never came.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
I don't see why at this point we aren't infusing Dufour and Raty at the very least in the every day lineup. While I understand the contract excuse with Raty this team just needs a different vibe in the room.

Players need to be dealt if they are not in a playoff position and the bottom line is if the core cannot get it done by the deadline they do not deserve to be buyers.

Pageau, Parise, Varlamov, and Mayfield should just be gone. Doubt anyone takes the Bailey contract. I have been saying for years Beau is not strong enough on the puck and the man strength never came.

There won’t be any moves until near TDL, teams can maximize their space.

IF the team is on the outside looking, which it looks likely - Buffalo and Pittsburgh has games in hand, Florida is beginning to put it together.

I would move Varlamov to the Kings. They need goaltending - Isles will have cap space to take Quick and maybe they grab 2023 2nd and possibly another pick.

Parise and of course Mayfield.

IMO, Lou will resign Mayfield even if they are out of the playoffs. Parise may want to stick around too and there may be an agreement.

The Mayfield one is tricky, because he would certainly garner a 1st and Toronto would be lurking. But maybe Toronto prefers to use that 1st for a F and then go cheaper for D, like Schenn. Outside of Toronto - I don’t see many others, who are a fit for Mayfield. Minny? They just scratched Dumba.

No one is taking Bailey right now and don’t move Pageau - the return is not going to be enough - he is more valuable than the return you’d get. I could see Bailey being moved out this off-season and possibly Palmieri - in a pure cap dump moves.

I think DuFour needs more time in the AHL.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Schneider was not a middle player when that trade was made, it only occurred because Vancouver wanted to accommodate Luongo:

2010-2011VAN252264--2714552.23663.92911,371:47
2011-2012VAN3328208--1945601.96885.93731,832:50
2012-2013VAN3030179--4835612.11774.92751,733:19

Those were the 3 years prior to the Luongo trade with the Panthers. If that's middling, you need to call Sorokin that too.
Actually this trade came up last year on this board. At the time, Sorokin’s age and numbers were near identical to when Schneider was traded to the Devils.

This place would riot if Sorokin was traded for a single first rounder that wasn’t Bedard.

So I don’t see the hang up about Schneider going for what became the Horvat pick? Injuries did Schneider in, Vancouver made a solid pick.

Nobody claimed yesterday.

Sigh… It’s as if the ending of that post is specifically there to update Islander fans about Josh Bailey. :sarcasm:

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
There won’t be any moves until near TDL, teams can maximize their space.

IF the team is on the outside looking, which it looks likely - Buffalo and Pittsburgh has games in hand, Florida is beginning to put it together.

I would move Varlamov to the Kings. They need goaltending - Isles will have cap space to take Quick and maybe they grab 2023 2nd and possibly another pick.

Parise and of course Mayfield.

IMO, Lou will resign Mayfield even if they are out of the playoffs. Parise may want to stick around too and there may be an agreement.

The Mayfield one is tricky, because he would certainly garner a 1st and Toronto would be lurking. But maybe Toronto prefers to use that 1st for a F and then go cheaper for D, like Schenn. Outside of Toronto - I don’t see many others, who are a fit for Mayfield. Minny? They just scratched Dumba.

No one is taking Bailey right now and don’t move Pageau - the return is not going to be enough - he is more valuable than the return you’d get. I could see Bailey being moved out this off-season and possibly Palmieri - in a pure cap dump moves.

I think DuFour needs more time in the AHL.

I think Lou keeps Mayfield as well but if this team wants to successfully have a quick 1-2 year retool then you trade Mayfield if you can get a 1st and run. It's going to hurt in the short term but they simply put need to pull the trigger.

Unsure what they can get for Varlamov and Parise though.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
I think Lou keeps Mayfield as well but if this team wants to successfully have a quick 1-2 year retool then you trade Mayfield if you can get a 1st and run. It's going to hurt in the short term but they simply put need to pull the trigger.

Unsure what they can get for Varlamov and Parise though.
Probably a prospect and 2nd/3rd for varly, and a 4th/5th for Parise. again, its slim but i'd take that and start retooling our farm. its already barren.

JJ18Sniper

Oct 2, 2020
NY
If there is a path to remain competitive into next season and the cap is raised on the lower end (1MM), I could see a Bailey buyout rather than losing an asset to move him this summer.

23-24: $2,333,333 Savings
24-25: $1,166,667 Dead cap (the year the cap is scheduled to jump several million).

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
? he traded a 9th overall (Bo Horvat) for Schneider
Considering the context (after losing Parise, Kovalchuk, aging Elias, etc.) it was not a good move.

But Schneider, before getting injured, was a great goaltender. It really is too bad (for him) that he wasn't a full time starter earlier in his career, when he clearly could have handled it.

I don't think the Romanov move was bad, mostly because the draft seemed even more of a crap shoot than usual, and it addressed a clear need with youth. The only prospect I'd clearly say "I'd like them" that we might have drafted are Snuggerud. I think it was made clear, at the time, that NYI were certain that everyone they were excited to draft were certain to be taken by their pick. (My guess is NYI would have picked Kasper, Korchinski, or Savoie if they were going to be available.)

At any rate, I think that this draft beyond being excellent at the very top, has a LOT of good forward prospects, players who could quickly become low AAV contributors to the middle-6. This appears to me a good draft to grab extra picks in the late 1st, 2nd, and third rounds.

Reactions: Osakahaus
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad